PDA

View Full Version : Laptop.

dnpeterson
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
So, I took pretty bad care of my laptop and I'd like to put it in a new case entirely. First, is this even possible without doing a totally custom case?

Second, how tough would it be to add a touchscreen?

I'm using an Acer Extensa 4630z.

nevermind1534
02-03-2010, 10:33 PM
To do this, you would need, as you said, a custom one, or you could find one from the same model laptop.

For the touch screen, it would be doable, but not easy. You can buy touch screen films that go over an existing screen, but they aren't as good as the real thing.

dnpeterson
02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Could I just buy an empty laptop case off like newegg and use that or no?

Also, for adding a touchscreen, I'd have to find one that's 15.4" (I think that's what mine is) and then put that INTO the screen area, correct? And then it would be possible to turn it into a tablet and add handwriting recognition, correct?

Zephik
02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
eBay and even Amazon offer replacement laptop parts, including cases. Depending on your laptop, it may be easy, difficult or impossible to find the parts you need.

Good luck and hope that helps! ^_^

FuzzyPlushroom
02-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Could I just buy an empty laptop case off like newegg and use that or no?

Nah, laptop motherboards are almost never a standard-enough shape for that to be possible (though Shuttle's new SPA (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/shuttle-spa-and-micro-spa-notebook-motherboard-standards-launche/) architecture offers hope for the future). Drives, RAM, and such can be swapped out, but motherboards, screens, and keyboards/touchpads almost never interchange.

Your best bet, really, is to buy a stripped chassis or nonfunctional laptop of the same model line and screen size as yours, mod that case how you want it, and then assemble your laptop into it. Or, y'know, just strip yours down and mod the case, but you only get one chance and the laptop's out of commission until you finish the mod.

As for touchscreens? Some folks here know a fair bit about 'em, but I, sadly, don't.

dnpeterson
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Drives, RAM, and such can be swapped out, but motherboards, screens, and keyboards/touchpads almost never interchange.

I'm assuming that, as it is with a desktop, the motherboard and screen are the majority of the cost; which would make it quite pointless to but a new case then get a new mobo and screen to go with it. I found somebody selling the bottom part of the computer on eBay, but that's kind of useless without the top part...Can I just make my own from scratch like some people do for consoles, or is this considerably harder?

x88x
02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
For laptops made in the last 10-12 years or so, it is possible. Pretty much all laptops made now use an FPD-link interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPD-Link) for the LCD panel, so you should be able to connect mismatched panels. On the other hand, sometimes manufacturers will do weird stuff, so definitely do your research before dropping money on parts.

Airbozo
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
if you can't find what you are looking for, check these guys out: Weird Stuff Warehouse (http://www.weirdstuff.com/)

They have some truly random things there. If you don't see what you want, email them since they are one of the recycled/scrap clearance places around here and they get TONS of stuff that never shows up on the website.

x88x
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
That place...is awesome! :D Amazing find, +rep

Airbozo
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
That place...is awesome! :D Amazing find, +rep

I have gotten in trouble many times for spending 2 hours of my 1 hour lunch in that place wandering around...

They have parts dating back many years. Need an old ISA bus card? How about an EISA based memory expander card (64MB!)? Even the motherboard to use it on...

gyrertr
07-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Laptop is a personal computer while it is also known as e- book.Laptops offer the same functions that a desktop computer, but it is portable, we can use them almost everywhere. , so now we can find cheap laptop with high quality features. Laptops are versatile and can be used for many different activities, so they are popular among owners of small businesses, students, music lovers and gambler.