Log in

View Full Version : Lamborghini X2



Pages : 1 2 [3]

MDCS
10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Another problem. This AquaBay reservoir sucks! :down: Too bad, it looks so
cool, and front window is handy. I'm going to have to get a different one.
Was planning on doing the water works this weekend (I'll do other stuff
instead).

Because of the compression fittings ... not much to work with. Looking for a
compression fitting that goes from 1/4" to 1/2". Or ... I'll just have to get
something else.

Only way with fittings I have on hand.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzu2.jpg

Talk about ugly and real stupid. They should start all fittings at 1/2" and
reduce if needed. Not start with 1/4" and go up. Makes for really high
pressure that way.:devious:

That's cut the smallest I can too. 1/4" to 3/8" to 1/2" ... dumb!:lick:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzu1.jpg


Thinking of ...
Bay_Reservoir (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/2184/ex-res-104.jpg/ex-res-104/XSPC_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Black.html)

This one is black. Has water level in front. And takes a 1/2" fitting.

:D

Zephik
10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh bummer! That really sucks. Sorry to hear that it didnt work out.

That new one looks just as good if not better though! Hopefully this one will work out for you?

Best of Luck!

-SF

Silenced_Coyote
10-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Get some plexi and make your own? More work that I don't know if you want to do. Maybe you can find an electronic water level reader/device to stick into your custom reservoir.

Like this maybe (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/Upgrade/cl-w0103/cl-w0103.asp)

MDCS
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
That new one looks just as good if not better though!-SF

It does look pretty good. $60 bucks though.
I looked at all I could find on about 35 sites.
And, it looked the best, and, had what I wanted.



Get some plexi and make your own? More work that I don't know if you want to do. Maybe you can find an electronic water level reader/device to stick into your custom reservoir.


I think right now I'll go with the one above from Frozen-CPU
or maybe a plexi 5 1/4 bay res from DD. :rolleyes:

MDCS
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Going to try something a little different.

I'm going to dump the 80mm front vent intake fan, and replace it with a 120mm,
and try and pull from the right front and push out the left front with the rad fan.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzv7.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzv2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzv5.jpg

Also thinking of adding the exchanger to the top of the new plexi fan holder.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzv6.jpg
Or ... put it right between the right fan and rad fan?

:D

xdxforever
10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
YES! that setup will definitely lower your overall temps 2 to 5 degrees C. at least if that tube is all aluminum.

Silenced_Coyote
10-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Can you fit the heat exchanger between the right fan and the rad fan? Doesn't look like too much space. Also, it would seem the tubing would have to make some wicked bends to connect. Oh, what is that clear right fan rated CFM wise? More or less than the round rad fan?

jdbnsn
10-21-2006, 01:43 AM
MDCS,

Wow! You have put alot of work into this puppy and I am loving what you're coming up with. Especialy like that sneaky webcam, nice touch! Since you have put so much into this lambo, I saw something that I thought I would throw out there. You have customized eveything so much and made it your own, but to me, those analog gauges on the front just don't "feel" like Italian aristocracry like the lambo. Have you played with the idea of using actual gauges from a vehicle and working some magic like you did on that fan grill? I can imagine two larger equal side-by-side gauges (instead of three)back-lit to match actual lambo gauges. I know my opinion wasn't requested and I won't be offended if you think it sucks, but if not I know a guy who hangs around here who could surely help you set these up. Also, I didn't have time to read the whole thread so I it's been discussed, my apologies. As for everything else, looks sweet dude! Keep it up!

MDCS
10-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Can you fit the heat exchanger between the right fan and the fad fan? Doesn't look like too much space. Also, it would seem the tubing would have to make some wicked bends to connect. Oh, what is that clear right fan rated CFM wise? More or less than the round rad fan?

It will fit half way down (between the two) with hose. I have the red coil
coolsleeves for kinking.

Not sure off hand what the CFM's are on either one right now. I'm guessing
neither is all that strong.

:)

MDCS
10-21-2006, 07:04 AM
MDCS,

Have you played with the idea of using actual gauges from a vehicle and working some magic like you did on that fan grill? I can imagine two larger equal side-by-side gauges (instead of three)back-lit to match actual lambo gauges.


Actually, yes. There used to be a product called PCTech or something like
that. It was an actual RPM gauge with software added that gauged your CPU
activity.

But It was discontinued, and I can't even find an old one on ebay.
The best I'm going to do right now is the leather face for the 3 gauge
one.:rolleyes:

:)

MDCS
10-21-2006, 07:05 AM
YES! that setup will definitely lower your overall temps 2 to 5 degrees C. at least if that tube is all aluminum.

Yup, it is. Now, to find the right space:p

MDCS
10-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Found this adaptor for a 1/4" to 1/2" compression fitting.
koolance hose adapter (http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-14-12-hose-adapter.html)

Now, I can get rid of that ugly process going on with the res lines :p
And ... save some money.:banana:

Zephik
10-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Where oh where did my lambo mod go?? :( *tear*

;)

Good find MDCS, money is always good to save ^^. Will you be painting those fittings?

Looking forward to an update!

Good Luck!

-SF

Razors Edge
10-31-2006, 10:25 PM
This has got to be one of the best mods ever I guess. I envy MDCS's workshop soo much. MDCS, any chance tht you could take a pic of you're workshop? I have a fetish for full equipt workshops......

NocturnaL
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Wow the craftsmanship, the whole theme in general amazes me. Your paint job looks amazing i love the red. But the thing that has me is the neatness of the whole thing. Its sleak and resembles a lambo in every way. Great mod cant wait to see this thing done...

MDCS
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
This has got to be one of the best mods ever I guess. I envy MDCS's workshop soo much. MDCS, any chance tht you could take a pic of you're workshop? I have a fetish for full equipt workshops......

Sure. I'll try and get to it this week. Sorry for the delay again. I'm STILL painting the house. It's only taking so long because I re-painted 3 of the rooms (didn't like the first colors) and decided to change a lot of the furniture (didn't match anymore :p ). It's become a major overhaul:rolleyes: From new sofa-chair-rugs-TV-paintings-tables, down to new silverware and fruit bowls.:rolleyes: I think they match the walls now.:D

Life happens ...

:)

MDCS
11-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Wow the craftsmanship, the whole theme in general amazes me. Your paint job looks amazing i love the red. But the thing that has me is the neatness of the whole thing. Its sleak and resembles a lambo in every way. Great mod cant wait to see this thing done...

Me either now :D
I have other mods I want to do.

Thanks!

:)

Zephik
11-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Make sure you take some pictures of your "mods" for us to see! :p

I hope everything turns out the way you want it to!

Good Luck!

-SF

MDCS
11-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Where oh where did my lambo mod go?? :( *tear*

;)

Good find MDCS, money is always good to save ^^. Will you be painting those fittings?

Looking forward to an update!

Good Luck!

-SF

:p :p :p I bought the 1/4" to 1/2" adaptor, but I need to paint the
water-blocks a transparent red first. I already have the paint ... hoping to do
it this week. Hoping to catch up on a lot of stuff this week. :p

As for the fittings ... never thought of it??? Nickel looks good to me. Not sure
how to prep for that, or if it would look better. If you're talking about the
heat Xchanger ... I need some black to compliment the rest. But I did buff
down the first rings to add some zing.


:)

b4i7
11-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Sure. I'll try and get to it this week. Sorry for the delay again. I'm STILL painting the house. It's only taking so long because I re-painted 3 of the rooms (didn't like the first colors) and decided to change a lot of the furniture (didn't match anymore :p ). It's become a major overhaul:rolleyes: From new sofa-chair-rugs-TV-paintings-tables, down to new silverware and fruit bowls.:rolleyes: I think they match the walls now.:D

Life happens ...

:)

so meticulous at everything,, i love the work on lambo...keep it up:up:

a.Bird
11-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Where Have All The Pictures Gone?! Ahhhhh!!!!

NocturnaL
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Where Have All The Pictures Gone?! Ahhhhh!!!!

What do you mean? i see them all clearly?

isunktheship
11-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Mmmk, I took a break from tbcs for too long.. (school)

The first thing I did, upon returning to the forums here, was check out your mod. After reading through 15 pages worth of entertaining, stunning, and beautiful content, I have finally arrived to the present posts.

First off, amazing work! The case is almost done, and I'm loving it!:D

I read about your fan grill dilemma, and am glad that you put it on the outside, you definately need to show that bad boy off. Also, the grill is dark, so when you have the silver/white background it brings out the logo.

Is it just me or is your watercooling setup a little complicated? It just looks like it could be simplified or something. Since I know little about watercooling I will stand back and... learn.

Anywho, great work on the mod, and a.bird you're rediculous.

MDCS
11-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Where Have All The Pictures Gone?! Ahhhhh!!!!

They are all there. Don't know why your browser isn't showing them. Just paid for another year at the file holding site too. Sorry.

MDCS
11-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Well, I did get all 3 water blocks painted. And I'm about to set them up. I'll upload some shots tonight. On the workshop too. I know this is taking a long time. But I promise to finish this. :) Only one other mod that I know of (another site) is taking this long. I'll try not to get the record for the longest one. :) :)

gaz_the_chav
11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
**SLAP** sent to MDCS!!

Don't be silly! Take your time I mean the case looks brilliant atm after how long you have spent on it. Even if you did spent the same amount of time that you have already again, the end product will be the same high quality level it is now which would be brilliant!

-gaz

MDCS
11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I have 3 Zalman waterblocks. 2 of their low profile WB's for the GPUs,
and the gold plated CPU waterblock.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s3.jpg

They will go on the FX60 and these cards.
Which were almost top of the line when I got them. Now they are about 6
down the line.:p
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s8.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s4.jpg

Painting ...
Started with self etching primer on all 3 waterblocks. Then about 3 light coats
of red so far ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s9.jpg

A few more coats ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s9.jpg

Finished painting ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s1.jpg

Now that the clear has cured. I can start putting the plumbing together;)

:)

And for the shots of the work area requested. No big deal really, and kind of
messy since I was painting the house and moving stuff into the garage while I
did it.

First, some paint left over from the house painting.
As you can see, by the time I was done (some rooms twice) I didn't care
about cleaning the brushes again:p I hope I don't have to do that again for
awhile.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s7.jpg

A lot of the good stuff is in the cabinets.
Anyway ... some of the paint stuff ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s5.jpg

Side I do most cutting and big stuff.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s13.jpg

From other side ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1z2s6.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s12.jpg

Other side ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s18.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s17.jpg

Long shot ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1s16.jpg

:)

Zephik
11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Nice job on the paint! That looks excellent! :up:

Are you sure you have enough stuff? No, I think you need a bit more. lol Just messin with you. I wish I had all of that! I'd be a pretty happy camper. Maybe we should play the "I spy with my little eye" game? Hmmm, oh look! A PSU with a 120mm (80mm?) bottom intake fan! lol

Keep up the good work! Can't wait for those final pictures! The suspense is almost too much! :)

-SF

NocturnaL
11-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Very nice... the paint job on the water blocks match the case mod perfectly, Clean and sleek. Nice choice on your graphics card, althought i am swaying to ATI's side recently after their whole link up with AMD. As for your painting, since you seem to be so good at it, could you give some tips on how you could get such great results if you have a dirty garage? Everything i paint in my garage seems to have **** stick to it no matter how well i enclose it lol. Great mod

MDCS
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Very nice... the paint job on the water blocks
match the case mod perfectly, Clean and sleek. Nice choice on your graphics
card, althought i am swaying to ATI's side recently after their whole link up
with AMD. As for your painting, since you seem to be so good at it, could you
give some tips on how you could get such great results if you have a dirty
garage? Everything i paint in my garage seems to have **** stick to it no
matter how well i enclose it lol. Great mod


:D :D
I used to have the same problem. If you close the garage door, you get
fumes to no end (don't forget to use those respirators), and over-spray on
everything.


If you keep the garage door open, you get dust, pollen, bugs and annoy your
neighbors with paint fumes. Which is why I like the booth. No dust, no fumes
outside the booth (much:redface: ),no bugs, and no over-spray settling on
everything in the garage.


Did you try getting a drop cloth, getting underneath it, and spraying:D
Maybe make a little drop cloth pup tent:D :D
(and again, don't forget to use those respirators):D ;)

MDCS
11-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Shot with the WBs and all their children. :D
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzz44zz5.jpg

Cleaned up the VC with ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzz44zz1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzz44zz2.jpg

Put it together ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzz44zz4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzz44zz3.jpg

One down, one to go.

:D

MDCS
11-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Ok, does that look a little christmasieish? Why can't we order the boards in the colors we want. :D :D

b4i7
11-14-2006, 09:26 PM
shoulda waited a month on it....then it woulda been perfect timing

lookin great mdcs.....ive been watchin this since it started....love all the work youve done

NocturnaL
11-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, i think im going to try the drop cloth tent idea you gave me, except with some plastic wrap you use for painting. And once again, your water blocks look sexy as hell... lol

MDCS
11-14-2006, 10:42 PM
You're asking, what's going on? Why are the GPU WBs already set up? :D
Because ... I'm going for a short hose set up like the last one, and it will be
installed right in the case. I'm using mct-40, and I'm good at covering the
parts just in case during the testing.

Both ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzn1.jpg

And the only solution I can come up with that will actually have the fan
(remember, there will be a 120mm in front of the Xchanger) useful for the
Xchanger, and not crimp the hose. The res, pump, rad, & xchanger all all set
up.

The rest will be easy. The one rad output to the CPU WB, up to the 1st GPU,
right down to the next GPU and back to the input on the res.


So, the way it looks though is iffy too me. I've tried lots of ways. And if it
looks too crowded and just funky. I'm going to ditch the Xchanger.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzn3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzn2.jpg

And, even though I was going to go 1/2", everything is 3/8". With the WB's and the res bottlenecks, it looks easier to just go 3/8". So, I just reduced the pump, and different fittings on the rad.

:)

Silenced_Coyote
11-15-2006, 01:21 AM
When did you buy the EVGA 7900GT video cards and how much did you pay for them? Because if it has been less than 90 days, you could use their Step-Up Program and get a better video card. If you want, you could get the 8800GTX (I think one of those beats 2 7900GTXs in SLI on most occasions). I'll have to check the benchmarks again.

MDCS
11-15-2006, 02:25 AM
When did you buy the EVGA 7900GT video cards and how much did you pay for them? Because if it has been less than 90 days, you could use their Step-Up Program and get a better video card. If you want, you could get the 8800GTX (I think one of those beats 2 7900GTXs in SLI on most occasions). I'll have to check the benchmarks again.

Long time ago. As soon as the 7900's came out.
It's the last time I get the parts first (VC, mobo, CPU).

MDCS
11-15-2006, 02:32 AM
Mobo & CPU ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzyk1.jpg

This is why I do so many dry runs on everything ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzyk2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzyk3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzyzyk4.jpg

It just won't work where the pump is now. It's in the way of the second VC.
I'm going to have to ditch the Xchanger, and put the pump somewhere else.
This case is way too small. Smallest I've worked on.

Something has to work. Any ideas:think:

:)

MDCS
11-15-2006, 02:45 AM
I don't know. I may have to put the pump where the rad is, and put the rad on the outside. I really wanted it all inside. Maybe on the inside back. I'll try that
too. Then the outside back. I could move to the smaller Swifttech pump again (oh boy, re-painting). I'll try what I can first.

silverdemon
11-15-2006, 04:51 AM
can't you just put the pump closer to the rad (not in front of it) when you ditch that xchanger?? and maybe turn the pump 90 degrees, so that the tube from the res-thingie goes into the pump straight. Also I don't think it would be really bad if the pump is a few cm in front of the rad... but I'm no WaterCooling-expert.

hope you can work this out in the case... Would be a shame to put the rad on the slick looking outside...

MDCS
11-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Came up with a solution. And it's pretty good. I get to keep everything inside
the case. No kinks, and I still have room for the 120mm fan in front. And it's a
very nice cut without the clutter. The Xchanger is gone. But I'll save that for
a bigger case.


Nice fit ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzyzz1b4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzyzz1b5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzyzz1b3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzyzz1b1.jpg

And nice short bends without kinks.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzyzz1b2.jpg

Looks like the plan.:banana:


I don't know about those coolcoils though. They are NOT red like they say.
More of a dark pink if you ask me.

And the tubing needs to be washed clean and shiny. See ... what happens if
you paint and leave stuff out without a booth.:p

I put the Velcro around it to hold it in place while I set it up. But it looks kinda
nice. Maybe a thinner piece?

I don't care for the blue tips on the GPU WBs, but I wasn't about to paint the
inside. Last thing I want is paint chipping off, and going through the
plumbing:D

I'll have to cut a new piece of leather. This one has holes now from where
the pump used to be. No big deal, I think I have half a cow left.:devious:

Now, before I put the pump in, I better make sure I have all wires connected
in front of it. It looks like I can connect them anyway, but why take chances.


:)

Silenced_Coyote
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Ditch the coolcoils maybe? Or maybe dye/paint them a better color?

NocturnaL
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, i was wondering why the tubes looked dirty... and i know all about stuff getting tainted when painting in an enclosed garage. I got a mist of red paint on my Mom's BF's 1965 White Gloss Rambler, Boy was he pissed :). The coil does look cool, but would look 100x cooler if it was actually red. You gotta watch out for those red colors when buying stuff half the time its pink :mad:

MDCS
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Ditch the coolcoils maybe? Or maybe dye/paint them a better color?

I think painting would chip them when I wrap them around the tubing. But ... the dying idea is something. Think I'll get some and put a small test piece in a bucket of dye and see if I can get them red. Good idea!

MDCS
11-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, i was wondering why the tubes looked dirty... and i know all about stuff getting tainted when painting in an enclosed garage. I got a mist of red paint on my Mom's BF's 1965 White Gloss Rambler, Boy was he pissed :). The coil does look cool, but would look 100x cooler if it was actually red. You gotta watch out for those red colors when buying stuff half the time its pink :mad:

Wow, Rambler, that's a car you don't see many of anymore.;)

I think I'll try the dye idea. Worth a shot. If it doesn't work or looks crappy. I think I'll try white coils, and red dye in the water.

jdbnsn
11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey MDCS-

It's looking great and I've been watching for a long while. In my absolutely unsolicited opinion, yes those cards look Christmasy (but damn sexy too), loving almost eveything here...but... I really think you gotta lose those spiral thingy's from your water tubes. The rest of your build is so home-made, just like a special order Italian Sports car, personal, elegant, and free from convention. Those spiral thingy's are taking away from the originality of your theme I think, they just don't say Lamborghini to me. Maybe if you made them look like rubber intake shrouds? e.g.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/LBo.jpg

tybrenis
11-15-2006, 11:16 PM
jdbnsn has a great idea, I agree with him as well - we musn't forget, this IS a Lamborghini mod...

MDCS
11-15-2006, 11:43 PM
That's funny, I was thinking the same. They just don't really fit, and are not
original. But ... I thought I would try the dye thing.

AND, while I was at the store. I noticed a paint I never saw before. I've seen
those chrome paints before, and even tried a few of them. But they always
look more like silver paint to me. But I noticed this ones color was called
bumper chrome. What arrogance:eek: .And yes, I bought it of course.:) What
do you think?

I like your idea on the rubber though. I was thinking of doing that with a
distributor cap mod. And I know just where to go to get the rubberised paint.

So ... if the red dye doesn't work, or the chrome paint, or they both just still
look so blah. I'll try the rubber spray. I also saw some cool steel coils at a
custom auto site and may try those.


Dye test ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzy1.jpg

Chrome paint test ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzy2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzy3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzy4.jpg
Maybe with a coat of clear on top, it might look cool?

;)

MDCS
11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
That was weird. I applied some clear, and for the first time the part I was
painting went dark. I even did another test of the chrome paint next to it to
show you. And yes, I always use enamel on enamel and lacquer on lacquer clear.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzv1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzyzzv2.jpg
:?

Strange.

That chrome paint does look sharp. When dry, I think I'll put it on to see how
it looks.

For the dye. I think I'll let it sit all night to try and get it as red as possible.

I was thinking about the rubber spray. If I did the whole tubing, don't you
think it will keep heat inside? The tubing must dissipate some of the heat?
And tomorrow I think I'll go get some rubber spray and test the tubing and
the coils.


;)

Silenced_Coyote
11-16-2006, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about spraying the whole tubing. Tubing won't do much heat dissipating. It shouldn't make a difference. If you are worried about heat, then maybe you can stick in another radiator in the water loop.

NocturnaL
11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I dont know how, but this is getting even more interesting lol, keep it up

ajmilton
11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
yeah, the heat transfer through the tubes is pretty minimal compared with heat transfer at the rad. i wouldn't worry too much about that.
i had actually thought earlier "wow, that'd be neat with vacuum hoses" but decided not to say anything about it for some reason.

go fig. lookin good tho :P

MDCS
11-16-2006, 02:53 PM
The dye didn't turn out. Maybe wrong kind of dye. Looks the same to me.
Already changed my mind on red coils anyway.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz4.jpg

Did some sleeving with my special sleeves.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz6.jpg

Was a little worried about the VC plug. Took out the PSU and made sure.
Tight fit, but it works. I'll pull the wire back behind the pump.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz3.jpg

And notice the SATA wire. 6" and clear. Will also hide behind the pump as much as I can.

I ran the other wires behind the rad, and you can hardly see them.
That takes care of the reset/power/power LED/HDD/USB/mic-headphones/
wires.

New leather was added.
Now to drill a hole for the pump, and holes for the 120mm fan again.
Looks like everything will fit now.

The tubing was washed, and should be dry enough to re-install today.



;)

MDCS
11-16-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah, the heat transfer through the tubes is pretty minimal compared with heat transfer at the rad. i wouldn't worry too much about that.
i had actually thought earlier "wow, that'd be neat with vacuum hoses" but decided not to say anything about it for some reason.

go fig. lookin good tho :P

I think I'll try the rubber spray and see how it looks. So far, I like the chrome paint the best. Hope it doesn't chip off when I put it on.

ajmilton
11-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Did some sleeving with my special sleeves.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzyvz2.jpg


ooh, i like that sleeving.

MDCS
11-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, that's some awesome stuff. I can't remember the site I got it from. But I
bought the last 3 bags of it. They said it was discontinued. I actually tried
looking for the site once (one I only went to that single time - found through
Google) but my list of sites is kind of big, and I tired of looking for it. I'll just
keep trying my bookmarks until I find it again. They had some other unique stuff you don't see on most sites.

:)

bobtron2000
11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
WOW.. just have to sign up to say.. wow! :banana: :bunny: :banana:
(50+ pages so far, spend about 1hour reading them all) :)

MDCS, is there anything you can't do?
Build a great work area and do an awsome casemod, can't wait to see the finished job.
I wiss I had your skills.

Too bad about all your bad luck (falling table, camera.....), but that's not stopping you. Great!:up:

Are you planning on modding mouse, keyboard and/or monitor to follow up on this great box?

btw. I really like that fan too :)
(And the scoop, and the leatherwork, and the paintjob and....)

MDCS
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Results of the chrome paint test ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy3.jpg

I think that is the best chrome paint I have ever seen.
It really looks better then the others I've tried.

Still not sure if I'll use it though.:rolleyes:


Now for the rubber test ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy5.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy6.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzz1xy7.jpg

Still a little wet.

I don't know:?
Sure is different!
What do you guys think:down: :up:

:)

Zephik
11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't like the coils at all. That might just be me. But they do look better chromed.

As for the rubber paint stuff? Hmmm, I say it looks pretty unique and in a good way. Reminds me of when I look in a car and see all those rubber tubes going everywhere.

My final verdict: :up:

Makes it look more like the engine area of a car, which is a good thing imo. And of course, even if you just leave them as is, they will still look good.

-SF

ajmilton
11-16-2006, 06:37 PM
the rubber is awesome looking. got all my votes on that :p

the coils look better, but i agree ... they don't seem to fit so well with the theme.

man. that rubber looks great. seriously :)

silverdemon
11-16-2006, 06:39 PM
just a silly idea, but have you tried the rubber-painted hose with the chrome coils? I think that will look nice... but I'm not sure...

b4i7
11-16-2006, 11:59 PM
are the coils still flexible with the chrome paint?

MDCS
11-17-2006, 05:55 AM
WOW.. just have to sign up to say.. wow! :banana: :bunny: :banana:
(50+ pages so far, spend about 1hour reading them all) :)

MDCS, is there anything you can't do?
Build a great work area and do an awsome casemod, can't wait to see the finished job.
I wiss I had your skills.

Too bad about all your bad luck (falling table, camera.....), but that's not stopping you. Great!:up:

Are you planning on modding mouse, keyboard and/or monitor to follow up on this great box?

btw. I really like that fan too :)
(And the scoop, and the leatherwork, and the paintjob and....)

Well thanks for the reply. I know, I really like that stupid little fan.:D
As for the keyboard and such. Didn't think that far ahead. But I think it would be a good idea to have a matching set. We'll see:rolleyes:

MDCS
11-17-2006, 06:02 AM
are the coils still flexible with the chrome paint?

That is really weird. I don't know yet. What's funny about that chrome paint is that it's still wet, a day & a half later. When I moved it to take shots, it was still wet. Just checked it, and STILL wet. Something in it that makes it look like chrome is keeping it from drying. No paint I've used is still wet after 15min to an hour. Never 1 1/2 days later.

As soon as it dries, I'm going to test it with the rubber to see how it looks. I really could use the coils in one spot (from pump to rad). So, I hope to come up with something that works and still looks good.

I'm leaning towards the rubber right now. Only because it does seem to match the Lambo better. And it's so unique.

MDCS
11-17-2006, 06:04 AM
just a silly idea, but have you tried the rubber-painted hose with the chrome coils? I think that will look nice... but I'm not sure...

Not silly. As soon as I tested the rubber. It was my first thought. Chrome on black might look very cool.

MDCS
11-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Back side of case.
My plans for the right side (looking face on). Why have a window on that side
you ask (ok, I ask :p ). Because I'm going to add a little interior shot. The pic
will be printed out (of Lambo interior) the size of the case back.

Simple plan ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzyyzzyy.jpg

That way when you look in, you'll see an interior of the Lamborghini, with some
dash lights.


8)

MDCS
11-17-2006, 06:22 AM
I don't like the coils at all. That might just be me. But they do look better chromed.

As for the rubber paint stuff? Hmmm, I say it looks pretty unique and in a good way. Reminds me of when I look in a car and see all those rubber tubes going everywhere.

My final verdict: :up:

Makes it look more like the engine area of a car, which is a good thing imo. And of course, even if you just leave them as is, they will still look good.

-SF

I agree. But I really could use them in one place. From the pump to the rad. It can be done without the coils. But the coils allow me to bend it just a little better. I'll try it with & without coils.

I think I'll just cut some extra tubing, rubberize them, and see how it looks.

:)

b4i7
11-17-2006, 09:07 AM
so sometime next week we should be see some...almost dry chrome coils;)

NocturnaL
11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
How bendable are those chrome coils? if they are flexible stick em on those black hoses, i think that would look nice. I was thinking that or take the chrome coils and paint them the candie apple red you have and stick them on the black hoses. Either way its going to look hot. :)

MDCS
12-02-2006, 05:44 PM
How bendable are those chrome coils? if they are flexible stick em on those black hoses, i think that would look nice.

I'll see this week.

MDCS
12-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Just got back from the Tday holiday (didn't want to announce it this time :) Don't like telling the world the house will be empty :) ) Back to the mod! :)

b4i7
12-03-2006, 12:06 AM
dang...if i had known...i woulda came and "borrowed" lambo..:) jk mdcs...hope everything is goin good

NocturnaL
12-03-2006, 04:04 AM
yesss updates soon... *Bites nails* keep up the good work :)

MDCS
12-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Painted the front fan holder red. Put the chrome coils on the pump tubing.
Makes it shine silver. I washed the other tubing, but it still has a red tint to it
from before the booth. I think I'll just order some more. Though, it may be
fine with red dyed water. Maybe even make it redder? I'll plug a piece and fill
it for a test. Added an extra inch for the res tubes so I can pull it out to fill.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzyl1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzyl2.jpg

Did another test. Painted the rubber tube with chrome paint for texture. I
don't think so :think: The rubber was still tacky after a 2 week vacation. I
guess it's its nature. But the chrome paint was dry :D
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzyl3.jpg

Still not sure about the tubing. I put a piece of the rubber tube on and it
really looked dull. :lick: When I get the new tubing, I'll do another test all
rubber and take some shots so you can see it. Messy working with it though.

BTW, that's just some brown paper on the leather (I'll blow it off for the next
shots :D )

I need the long bolts for the front fan holder, but I think I'll paint them red to
match the plexi holder.

Ran the pump wires behind the rad (need to be pushed back a little more),
and the rear fan wires behind the mobo, the front fan wires into the nice little
bulge on the front (I'll be able to hide most of the wires in there).

Not too happy with the chrome coils yet.

Strange set up, but still clean after all that stuff in there. Not bad for such a
tiny case. I'll just have the one drive (large SATA) and I have the cable all
ready for it. I can just get it to fit in backwards, so the power cable will come
in from the back. Was thinking of ordering a 15" (DATA) instead of the one I
have, and drill a hole in the case right by the SATA plug and run it in from the
back too. (the cleaner the better :up: )

On the case. The red plastic you see when you open the door, is too bumpy
for leather (which is on the inside doors as well) I may cover with that black
rubber spray paint. :think:



:)

MDCS
12-04-2006, 12:43 PM
BTW ... I want to cover the front fans logo paper. I'll take it off and put a lambo
decal there.

Silenced_Coyote
12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Are the coils there to keep the tubing from bending too much? If so, will this work/look better (http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=259&cat=89&page=1)? One can be connected close to the pump (pump, very short tube, 90 Degree fitting, then reservoir). Another 2 of these fittings (or one) can go on the tubing between the pump and the radiator.

MDCS
12-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Are the coils there to keep the tubing from bending too much? If so, will this work/look better (http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=259&cat=89&page=1)? One can be connected close to the pump (pump, very short tube, 90 Degree fitting, then reservoir). Another 2 of these fittings (or one) can go on the tubing between the pump and the radiator.

I've seen the 90 fittings before and didn't care for them. But that one from DD does look kinda nice (maybe a red :) ) Think I'll order it and take a look (can always use it for something else if not here).

And yes, the coils are needed in one spot only, the bend coming off the rad going to the pump is too sharp without the coil.

MDCS
12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Another BTW ...
Was going to use the mct-40, but forgot it only came green (I'll still use it on
another one I'm already using mct-40 on). Was thinking of primochill PC ice,
which comes red. Or, maybe just dyed water (will have to be extra careful
with either one) Heard primochill was not totally non-conductive like mct-40
is. The test I saw showed a quick current release the first few milliseconds of
the test, then went non-conductive. What good is that?

Zephik
12-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, I was looking at your tubing you have in there and couldn't help but think, uck. I'm talking about the clear tubing by the way, which I know will not look bad once you get coolant running in them. The silver tubing doesn't look too bad, I think it can be taken either as an eye catcher or an eye sore depending on the person. But anyways, have you seen THIS (http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-mod/arcticmod-hyperweb-reinforced-pvc-tubing-38-id-58-od-for-38-id-tubing.htm) product before? It's supposed to be some pretty lean mean strong stuff. Looks pretty darn cool too imo. Might look pretty cool with some ?red? coolant running through them?

Glad to see an update! I was getting desperate there for a little while! ^^

-SnowFire

MDCS
12-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, I was looking at your tubing you have in there and couldn't help but think, uck. I'm talking about the clear tubing by the way, which I know will not look bad once you get coolant running in them. The silver tubing doesn't look too bad, I think it can be taken either as an eye catcher or an eye sore depending on the person. But anyways, have you seen THIS (http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-mod/arcticmod-hyperweb-reinforced-pvc-tubing-38-id-58-od-for-38-id-tubing.htm) product before? It's supposed to be some pretty lean mean strong stuff. Looks pretty darn cool too imo. Might look pretty cool with some ?red? coolant running through them?

Glad to see an update! I was getting desperate there for a little while! ^^

-SnowFire

Now that's pretty cool too. But in the pic, I couldn't tell if that was red dye or pink-orange? Looked a little weak to me. But another good option. Thanks guys.

Zephik
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure either, But you get to pick the color so it doesn't really matter. :p

On a side note, that tubing is supposed to be strong and hard to bend as I understand it. So you might need to use some of those 90 degree angle pieces. I see that as a positive though in some cases, although having 90 degree angle bends might affect your flow rating?? Unless the pieces are curved in the inside and only look square on the outside. Bah, who knows! Whatever you do it will end up looking great, everything else has so far!

The guy who owns the website also mentioned something about combining clear and webbed tubing for an awesome look. Something to think about at least.

About your graphic cards. Isn't there a way to paint them? I thought I heard something about being able to paint that kind of stuff awhile back? Anyways, they look fine, it's just a bit too... um... Christmas orientated looking. But hey! It IS December right!? :p

-SnowFire

jdbnsn
12-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi MDCS,

I had a couple of thoughts for you think about, maybe something useful but who knows? I still haven't seen a rubberized version including the spiral parts also black, that didn't look good? And I was thinking also about the fact that it doesn't seem to dry well, it doesn't necessarily need to be rubber-coated. Look at this picture, you could get that look with just black paint (either gloss or matte)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/Engine.jpg

Another thought was that you could pull off some pretty cool effects if you made all of your power wires from the PSU shrink tubed to look like spark plug wires and you could make custom distributors to route leads where you need them. like these...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/LP400_moteur.jpg

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice that your water pumps are shaped just like alternators, those might look cool chromed eh?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/misc/1148949314I9832Y.jpg

MDCS
12-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Going a whole different way. Ordered parts, fliud, SATA cable, and a another
rear fan (yeah, I'm still not happy with it :) ). Got the 3 day delivery. So hope
to have shots soon. BTW, the decal for the front intake fan came out pretty
good.



:)

Durrthock
12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
This is one of the best mods I have ever seen. I look for the updates every time I come on.
So Great Work and keep in coming

MDCS
12-08-2006, 11:39 AM
This is one of the best mods I have ever seen. I look for the updates every time I come on.
So Great Work and keep in coming

Well, I can think of a few that are much better. Almost anything Paul & Defyant do as an example. But, I thank you the same. And I hope to get going again as soon as the latest parts come in.

MDCS
12-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Stuff came in. Another red laser light (3 now). Got the PC Ice for the heck of
it. But the red tubing came in. I see now why Tygon is the best.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzcc1.jpg

Well, what do you think?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzcc2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzcc3.jpg

Okay, it's not as unique as the rubber. But just looks better on this one. I'll
still do a whole rubber test with the old clear tubing.

The one piece going to the reservoir has to be replaced with the thinner stuff
for the compression nut to fit. And I'll need the thicker tubing for the one
bend for the GPU to GPU piece. But I like it. Simple and red.

The blue tips on the GPUs are hidden this way.

The Nexus fan is already apart, and being painted.
I got the longer SATA DATA cable so I can run it behind the case and into
the back along with its power cable.


:)

MDCS
12-09-2006, 07:33 AM
I think after the rubber test, I'll start bolting things down. Because that looks like how its all going to fit.

Fear
12-09-2006, 11:01 AM
You are the most...Patient and relaxed person I have ever seen. If I had all those parts, and was putting together a computer, I could not wait to set it up. Its bene momnths and you're just all chill, Can't wait to see this up and running.

MDCS
12-09-2006, 12:54 PM
You are the most...Patient and relaxed person I have ever seen. If I had all those parts, and was putting together a computer, I could not wait to set it up. Its bene momnths and you're just all chill, Can't wait to see this up and running.

Oh, sometimes I want to do that. Just put it all together right now. But I tell my self just hold on and do it the way you wanted. I already have enough systems, so this one can just take it's time.:D

MDCS
12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
On the tubing, I wanted it red. So I made it red! I was looking at all the tubing
to get some new shiny stuff delivered. And decided, to try this other stuff (I
forget the name already ... cheap flexotube ... I don't know. :rolleyes: )

The only stuff I saw that was red already. I didn't really like the coils, in any
color. The rubber looked too dull, so I need a way to make it stand out
better.:think: I did get the thicker stuff for the rad bend. No coils are now
needed for that piece. I don't know still. Maybe that special flex tubing would
look good:p


;)

MDCS
12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Started the rubber test. Messed up though. Forgot to put something on my
Lazy-Sue. Now I have rubber on it, that refuses to dry. :eek: Guess I'll scrape it
off in awhile. :p

After it dries, we'll all get a look at how the rubber compares to the rest.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1E2.jpg

Rear fan, after 5 coats (no clear yet). I'm doing the housing in white.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/z1z1E1.jpg

This will be like the fifth fan, and if I don't like it, I'll change it again.:p
This is the Nexus fan.

;)

simon275
12-10-2006, 03:40 AM
I love how you go that extra step and customize every thing including painting your fans.

Keep it up.

Zephik
12-15-2006, 08:28 PM
That red tubing looks alot better than what you have had so far. Very nice. I'm glad you were able to get away with not using those coils. They just did not look the part.

Waiting eagerly as always! Good luck to you!

-SnowFire

MDCS
12-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I didn't like the coils either.

I did add the thicker tubing for the GPU to GPU piece. So, it doesn't kink now.
I ordered the thinner stuff for the pump to reservoir piece which has to be thin
for the compression nut. But they sent the same stuff again. So, I went back
and noticed the thinner stuff is now removed. So, I ordered it from the only
other place I could find.

Sent ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq5.jpg

Already in. Same thickness ...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq7.jpg

The drive and SATA DATA cable are tested.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq4.jpg

The rubber test, won't happen. The stuff is just too dirty to work with. Just
moving them they stuck to each other like glue. And everything they touch,
the rubber comes off and stinks to it. Plus, all the dust in the case will stick
to it. So, I'm not going with that idea.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq6.jpg

The new rear fan is in. I went with a different white so it didn't just blend into
the case. A satin white with red, and coated with clear.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq2.jpg
I really like it. So, I think I'll add some more to other stuff to even it out.
I'm thinking of the bottom red plastic you only see if the door is open?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq1.jpg

The hard spacers I had, vibrated when the fan was on during the test, so, I
used soft rubber spacers instead.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzq3.jpg





:)

NocturnaL
12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm currently using those thermal take 130mm's as well in a current mod of mine. I love them, and i like what you did with them. I'm liking this mod verrry verry much mainly because red is my favorite color, and you have accented the color red greatly like the lambo standard :)

MDCS
12-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Bottom is off being painted satin white.

Cut PSU extra wires and shortened some.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzQQ2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzQQ4.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzQQ1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzQQ3.jpg

Besides the 3 top bay devices (DVD-Gauges-Speakers) all are wired.
I'll have them run down in one straight line.

The extra LCD lights will be coming off the front bulge area (already wired).


:)

DaveW
12-18-2006, 07:28 AM
That red tubing is some sexy stuff. Really nice.

-Dave

Zephik
12-18-2006, 06:50 PM
That red tubing is some sexy stuff. Really nice.

-Dave

Couldn't of said it better myself Dave. The more I look at those tubes, the more and more I love them. :up:

That is something I didn't think of doing. Cut off extra wires from the PSU, as non modular PSUs have billions of extra wires that you won't use in a completed system.

On another note, I just noticed that you didn't paint your HDD? Someone on this forum painted their HDD and it looked freaking sweet. Just an Idea, its not like your HDD is right there in view so it's not really important. ^^

-SnowFire

MDCS
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
On another note, I just noticed that you didn't paint your HDD? Someone on this forum painted their HDD and it looked freaking sweet. Just an Idea, its not like your HDD is right there in view so it's not really important. ^^
-SnowFire


hmmmmmm ... I need more white on the inside. :D
Maybe I will:D

NocturnaL
12-19-2006, 01:21 AM
This mod gets me harder then Angelina Jolies Lips...and im a man that loves his lips... Lol keep us updated ;)

MDCS
12-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Or how about carbon fiber paper for the drive?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzyyh2.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzyyh3.jpg

You can even see the drive decal on top.:D

Bulge in front I keep talking about. Where I can hide the wires.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzyyh1.jpg


;)

DaveW
12-19-2006, 05:13 AM
That might make the drive a good bit warmer...if you're going to wrap it, take cooling it into account.

-Dave

MDCS
12-19-2006, 05:23 AM
That might make the drive a good bit warmer...if you're going to wrap it, take cooling it into account.

-Dave
Hey, what are you doing up this late? :D

Didn't think of that. I wonder if paint will too?
I'd like a bay cover. But this case is just too small for one.

DaveW
12-19-2006, 05:25 AM
It's 9:15 in the morning here in Scotland. :)

I'm thinking that covering it will create a thin layer of hot air that will stay inside of the wrapping, heating up the drive. I don't think that painting would cause a big difference.

I'd suggest cutting out shapes and sticking them to the drive somehow, maybe with a spray adhesive so you can get it right and it won't ruin the drive.

-Dave

MDCS
12-19-2006, 05:34 AM
I guess that's why your up :) It's only 2:30am here.

Yeah, I think the paper is too thick, and will hold in way too much heat.
The only thing with painting it. If I do, I really should paint all of them. Which really isn't a problem, since I only need to the 3 sides and top. Scratches worry me though. Some of them are tight fits going into the bay, and I don't want them all messed up. Hmmmmm ....

DaveW
12-19-2006, 05:37 AM
I painted my drives, and they did take some scratches going into the slots. But then again, i have a wide tray in mine, so it hides the scratches on the drives. As i didn't clear coat the drives i wasn't expecting much else really.

-Dave

simon275
12-19-2006, 05:47 AM
My drives are loose in their bays at the moment as the screw holes on the drive and the rails don't line up. I need to get around to drilling holes. Its only 8:47pm at night here in Australia.

Nice carbon fiber look.

Zephik
12-19-2006, 05:54 AM
I don't like that paper carbon fiber stuff at all. It looks cheap, no offense of course. It would make some awesome Christmas present wrapping though! :)

I would just take the plate off of the HDD and paint that either white or red. Does anyone have a link to that painted HDD on these forums or any other? The ones I saw on this forum really were awesome looking.

I think it's the attention to little details that hard core impress people. No one will be able to argue about the sheer beauty of this mod though!


Angelina Jolies Lips...and im a man that loves his lips...

I can agree with you up to the point of calling her a man. Thats just insulting! lol ;)

Correction!

I am a retard, pay no attention to me. lol

-SnowFire

DaveW
12-19-2006, 05:57 AM
I can agree with you up to the point of calling her a man. Thats just insulting! lol

No, he's saying he (Nocturnal) is a man who like his (i.e. everyone else's) lips.

In other words, he finds it an attractive feature in particular.

-Dave

MDCS
12-19-2006, 06:14 AM
I think I'll look for the painted drives to see how they look.

:)
Morning, evening, and late, late show? Isn't the net great!

Zephik
12-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I think I'll look for the painted drives to see how they look.

:)
Morning, evening, and late, late show? Isn't the net great!

I LOVE Conan O'Brien! :P

Yep, have a look around at a few examples. See if you like the idea or not. ^^

-SnowFire

MDCS
12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
The tubing came in. This is really getting frustrating. The walls are the same size again. 1/8". Me the dummy, thought it said 1/16". And they don't have it.
The only two places so far I can find is "Performance-PC" and "Jab-Tech" with the red tubing. ANYONE know of another place that has red tubing 1/2" ID and 1/16" tubing walls?

I'm getting a nice stock of red tubing :)

MDCS
12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I wonder if I can mod it? Get a razor and thin the walls enough for the compression nut?

Fear
12-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Congratz on 62 pages!

MDCS
12-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Congratz on 62 pages!

Yeah, it's taking awhile. :)

MDCS
12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I wonder if I can mod it? Get a razor and thin the walls enough for the compression nut?

That's a big no! :down: Did cut my thumb trying. It was a shot. I might have to go with an adaptor. Didn't want to do that.

I can find 3/8 with 1/8" & 1/16" walls. But not 1/2, smallest seems to be 1/8" walls.

b4i7
12-19-2006, 07:42 PM
i know with some hdds there is a small hole in the top....you dont want that to be covered....my friend once set his hdds upside down when testing his comp...then we started smellin smoke.....so make sure you poke that hole through with that CF sticker

NocturnaL
12-19-2006, 09:17 PM
And yet this somehow gets better. Can anyone direct me as to where to get that carbon fiber wrapping? it looks very sleek, Thanks in advance :)

b4i7
12-19-2006, 10:26 PM
im pretty sure you can pick it up at any autozone.......theres a place up the road from me called advanced autoparts that has it

dgrmkrp
12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
worklog is going great.. the case is absolutely awesome! and the work u do :D

about the hdd... hmm... maybe remove the original black paint and polish the metal to mirror-perfection? +clearcoat? or design something lamorghini-ish to cover it?

MDCS
12-21-2006, 02:02 AM
And yet this somehow gets better. Can anyone direct me as to where to get that carbon fiber wrapping? it looks very sleek, Thanks in advance :)

You can get this. http://www.dragonplate.com/
Or the real thing. http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html

Or the paper. http://www.mnpctech.com/

MDCS
12-21-2006, 02:05 AM
worklog is going great.. the case is absolutely awesome! and the work u do :D

about the hdd... hmm... maybe remove the original black paint and polish the metal to mirror-perfection? +clearcoat? or design something lamorghini-ish to cover it?


I can't find any that have been painted yet. So no ideas there.
I was thinking of a two tone, red and white. Maybe a lambo decal added.

:think:

MDCS
12-21-2006, 02:07 AM
I think for now I'll just use an old fashioned clamp for the one tube until I can find the right tubing. I want to start a few tests on the plumbing. :)

NocturnaL
12-21-2006, 04:15 AM
im pretty sure you can pick it up at any autozone.......theres a place up the road from me called advanced autoparts that has it

Thanks, i have both of those stores around me, i just didnt think they had that kind of supplies, although its been about a year or 2 since ive stopped in either. And also a thanks to MDCS. Thanks :)

MDCS
12-21-2006, 07:47 PM
"And also a thanks to MCSC. Thanks"

Who's that? Just kidding. I know it's "DaveW".

Here is a video of the water test. No leaks. Broadband suggested. 60 megs.
You need to turn up the volume, and you can hear me turn on the pump. As
you can see, I used a clamp on the compression fitting. Maybe, just maybe, I
can find the right size tubing later on.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/?action=view&current=CIMG4035-1.flv


http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze.jpg


:)

MDCS
12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Only the one clamp too. :) You can't see the water with red tubes and fluid.
But, it's in there. The only way to tell is to look as the reservoir.

MDCS
12-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Next, come a bunch of LEDs. I'll use them on the back side for interior lights(hidden). And for the front vents(red or amber), the scoop(amber), taillight(white,red), and two red ones for the interior(hidden).

The back side photo with LEDs is next in line.

NocturnaL
12-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Haha sorry, the saddest part about it is, i remember actually looking at a previous post of yours to spell it right ><. But hey, the water cooling looks nice! lol <3

Slatter
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
looking good MDCS

MDCS
12-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Did the back plate before I start on the tail light LEDs.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxx.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxx.jpg

Going to re-sleeve the wires first. And re-paint the bottom. The white didn't
come out white enough.

Going to also drill the side hole for the rest of the wires that will go to the front.


:)

Cagedconnerman
12-28-2006, 10:18 PM
so many reconstructions, but the result is great! every time i get on this is the first place i look at.

The boy 4rm oz
01-08-2007, 02:42 AM
I love your work MDCS.

I am thinking of purchasing a Thermaltake but using 1/2" tubing instead of the standard 1/4". I noticed that you had used an addaptor and was just wondering if that slowed the flow rate down much? I was also thinking of taping and redrilling the existing connectors to 1/2" but was wondering if this would leak. If i redrill and tap the holls the end of the barb would be protruding inside the bay. Will this be a problem?

blue73
01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
"And also a thanks to MCSC. Thanks"

Who's that? Just kidding. I know it's "DaveW".

Here is a video of the water test. No leaks. Broadband suggested. 60 megs.
You need to turn up the volume, and you can hear me turn on the pump. As
you can see, I used a clamp on the compression fitting. Maybe, just maybe, I
can find the right size tubing later on.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/?action=view&current=CIMG4035-1.flv


http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/PCMDCS/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze.jpg


:)

This mod is just lookin ace... Keep goin MDCS. 8)

Slatter
01-12-2007, 02:33 AM
looking good MDCS

Pableazy
01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey can you tell me where you bought 2 of the thinggs from your mod. Both the PSU and the red tygon tubing ( so far can only find clear tygon )

Ne ways good job on the project.
Peace

Silenced_Coyote
01-31-2007, 04:16 AM
The tubing is from PrimoFlex:
1/2 ID x 3/4 OD (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=292&products_id=4184)
3/8 ID x 1/2 OD (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=292&products_id=20720)
3/8 ID x 5/8 OD (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=292&products_id=20715)

The power supply is an XG Vortec (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3990).

I hope that helps. You might want to search on other sites for a lower price.

Guardian
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Yo like what happened to the project?

itsjustacompaq
04-06-2007, 06:17 AM
wow, i just read all of this mod (well, i skimmed for posts with pictures and read those :D) and i am simply amazed. it took me so long to go through it, i almost finished sanding the anodization off the face of my corsair raim cooler while reading it! this is a very clean, well made mod. the leather on the panels is an inspired touch :up: .
a guy in my dorm has the vento, and that thing is HUGE. i looked inside, and it really does look quite small, not at all what it looks like from the outside. i will be watching this intently now that it is (maybe) so close to finishing

mwdaley
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank god I found this again! I was following this for several weeks (up to about page 50 or so), and then I lost it! I continue to be amazed at the level of quality and craftsmanship you exhibit, MDCS.

I'm preparing for my first mod (which, of course, won't be up to this level) and I hope I can exercise as much patience and attention to detail that you have here.

Keep it up!