PDA

View Full Version : Apple being retards again... -_^

x88x
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Ok, I'll admit I have been purposefully ignoring the whole iPhone 4G thing because, well, quite honestly I couldn't care less. So, that being said, if I missed some huge important thing that makes this a legitimate response, please, someone tell me.

So, to my knowledge here's the course of events:
1) Some poor Apple employee accidentally leaves an iPhone 4G prototype phone at a bar.
2) something happens (have I mentioned I've been ignoring this whole thing?)
3) Gizmodo gets their hands on it.
4) The internet goes insane.
5) The prototype phone is torn apart (literally and figuratively), and every tiny detail about it is posted on Gizmodo.
6) something happens (presumably Apple craps themselves and starts throwing money at their lawyers)
7) This (http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers) happens.

The point of this being event 7. Basically, lots of shady legal stuff, incredibly widely worded search warrant, protection of press violations...fun all around. :facepalm:

BuzzKillington
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
wow. lol

Technochicken
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I just read another article about this that gives more details about all the legal stuff if anyone is interested:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/195035/iphone_prototype_web_reacts_to_police_raid_on_gizm odo_editors_house.html

In my opinion it would be really sad if Apple is responsible for setting the police on the Gizmodo guy.

Luke122
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Especially given all the Apple fanboy love that Gizmodo throws around. Pretty harsh of them to attack a HUGE source of publicity for them.

StormRider
04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
dang, this looks like it's going to get really ugly really fast:dead:

Drum Thumper
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I think I'm going to go make a toasted cheese sandwich.

I recall Cnet asking their readers what they would do with this particular paperweight of a phone. Personally, I would have ran it through a shredder and sent the pieces back to Apple headquarters.

msmrx57
04-27-2010, 08:13 PM
But does it blend?

Oneslowz28
04-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow!

Drum Thumper
04-27-2010, 08:49 PM
But does it blend?

The iPad does, so I would imagine this would too.

knowledgegranted
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
This new iphone reminds me alot of the old compaq laptops. Just look at the trim

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/102525797/Used_Compaq_Presario_V2000_Laptop.jpg
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/04/500x_next-iphone-banner.jpg

chaksq
04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
This new iphone reminds me alot of the old compaq laptops. Just look at the trim
+1

Personally I think Apple has long gone overboard.

simon275
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
It is an interesting situation. Brings up some questions about how bloggers are to be treated in regards to being journalists or not.

I guess they did purchase what could be considered stolen property.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Trace
04-28-2010, 02:08 AM
It wasn't stolen property. It was found, tried to be returned, and refused...
When Apple claimed it, they sent it back

msmrx57
04-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Possibly all just a publicity stunt?

mDust
04-28-2010, 03:02 AM
It is an interesting situation. Brings up some questions about how bloggers are to be treated in regards to being journalists or not.

I guess they did purchase what could be considered stolen property.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Journalists are professional writers that regularly publish work that is meant to inform the public on any topic. Jason Chen is a professional writer as he's employed full-time to write for Gizmodo. A blog is generally a personal journal that is regularly updated as a hobby, not a profession. It would be very difficult to argue that he's not covered by the law.

Gizmodo was wrong to pay for stolen property and to expose/defame the employee that lost the phone. Apple was wrong to influence the police to confiscate anything more than the phone. (Don't anyone even say that Apple didn't do this, as the police would have never been so aggressive over a stolen phone...prototype or not.) The judge that signed the warrant was wrong to not know/not care about state and federal law...probably decided to side with the multi-billion dollar corporation because they are obviously legit...or maybe they have lots of bribe money that got the ball rolling a little faster. Who knows? Apple is becoming another Microsoft very quickly as of late.

SXRguyinMA
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
interesting to see what comes of this

Airbozo
04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
IMO the police were doing their job, They confiscated evidence that would lead them to the identity of all the perps involved. This guy purchased stolen property and he should have to live up to his actions.

Just my opinion.

Luke122
04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
After reading the rest of the story, Gizmodo paid $5,000 for the handset once they verified it was legit. (After it was verified as being someone elses property.)

I'm with Airbozo on this one now.

Trace
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
But they tried to give it back. And in fact, they did

Luke122
04-28-2010, 12:57 PM
..after they took it apart, documented it all, and exposed it to the world. Apple's security and secrecy of new projects is pretty much unparalleled, so this is a serious leak. Competitors now have inside info of a project before release, I'm sure they arent too happy about that.

crenn
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
It's a mixed bag with this, I don't blame Gizmodo or the guy who sold them the iPhone. And from what I recall of this entire story, the guy who found the device at the bar (or stole it as some claim) tried to return it to apple just noone at apple had any knowledge about the new prototype iPhone and told him it was a hoax.

To me personally, this just points to a problem with Apple itself than just a 'serious leak'. Also, was anyone that surprised about what was in the iPhone? Rumours had been going on for some time and what Gizmodo found did prove it. Also the best bit, Gizmodo actually gave the iPhone back to Apple.

x88x
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Also, was anyone that surprised about what was in the iPhone?

/shrugs
Personally, my reaction to the whole 'leak' was "So Apple is working on a new iPhone...no sh**. Well whatever it's like I know I won't be buying one.. Moving on." :P