PDA

View Full Version : 96 Gateway Desktop

legoman786
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
My first actual mod will be a very old Gateway desktop. Not a tower!! I've taken a newer mobo and lined up all the holes and nothing is needed there. There is just way too much space in that case to be left unused. But, with the setup I would love to have in it will leave me cooling crazy. I have space for atleast 4 60mm fans up front, and I have to think for the exhaust. There is only one exhaust and that is the stock PSU which is not there anymore. Also, can I use the reset button as a power? Given it's old age the case is most obviously an AT case. I have friend who will let me use any of his tools, so I should be okay in the tool department. Also, I should say that this case is a full steel and is very bulky. I just love big cases. I want to put in a window, but at the same time, be able to support a monitor. I can probably build a crossmember or something of the like to fix that. But, I don't think I'll be able to start this project for awhile. Just like the name of this sub-forum states, it's an idea.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/legoman786/Computer/DSCF0001.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/legoman786/Computer/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/legoman786/Computer/DSCF0003.jpg

legoman786
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
After this post, I went out and saw the case... I need to do some cutting in the bach as it's not like other cases in the I/O department. When I fix that, I sould have space for 2-80mm fans. I was just thinking, instead of putting 4-60's in the front, why not put 2-120's? I'll get it all sorted out when I have the parts. Haha

Also, I have noticed that alot of people have looked at this and not said a word!! How rude!! j/k

Just tell me what you guys think, Thanks

Aero
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
sounds good. Just remember to keep the in and out number of fans even. If you have 1 fan bringing air in and 5 blowing out, your computer will still be too hot. Also try to keep the on opposite sides of the case to get a good cross breeze going.

legoman786
03-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I just had a really cool paint scheme idea!!

Black base, with neon-ish green racing stripes!! And in the inside, black boards with UV Green paint around the edges!!

@Aero: I do plan on keeping the number of fans even, or atleast try to. I heard from someone that if I keep atleast 1 more exhaust (or intake) I can keep the dust from not sticking. Is this true?

public_eyesore
03-14-2006, 01:58 AM
PICTURES!!! good luck sounds kindda like the xfx xtreme cards

legoman786
03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't have a digital camera... and the only person I can think of is in pheonix and he's with my uncle. My grandma had some stomach problems.

legoman786
03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll get piccies very soon!! It's somewhat like xmastree's case, but its not. you know?

xmastree
03-26-2006, 07:59 PM
I'll get piccies very soon!! It's somewhat like xmastree's case, but its not. you know?I have another one, Compaq, from a P166. Trouble with that is all the expansion slots are horizontal, and there's a riser card in the motherboard. The I/O are all along the edge of the board, rather than stacked up like an ATX system.
Like this:
http://www.uktfs.co.uk/images/apricot/musrear.gif

Is it like that? That would be more difficult to use.

Also try to keep the on opposite sides of the case to get a good cross breeze going.I can vouch for that. You've been following mine, right? I ended up with an intake on one side and an exhaust on the other. That made a big difference. It's not about getting air in and out, but about getting it flowing through. That's why, with a tower, intakes are at the bottom and exhausts at the top, since the PSU is an exhaust and that sets the trend for the rest.
As for supporting a monitor, rather than a crossmember, have you thought about a pillar as near to the center as the motherboard will allow? that might be easier.

bigbaddog
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Hey guys...I'm no artist and I don't keep up with trends or anything, but are modders going to start modding old desktop cases? If so I will quit throwing out the old ones I been collecting for parts.

xmastree
03-27-2006, 06:06 AM
are modders going to start modding old desktop cases?Why not? I've just done one, and I'm about to start another, as is legoman. Not sure if it's a new trend but what the hell, go for it. If it is the latest thing, you'll be among the first. Although I'm sure the idea's not that new.

legoman786
03-27-2006, 08:55 AM
No, the expansion slots are not horizontal. This makes me very happy!! :D And there are 7 of them!!! (Full ATX board) I just have to do some (in order) cutting/welding/measuring/dremeling for the new I/O ports to fit and maybe 2 80mm fans. Now, if my Grandpa didn't forget to bring his camera the next time he came over...

xmastree
03-27-2006, 09:14 AM
If your Grandpa is forgetful, be sure he brings the camera but distract him as he's leaving... Then you can photograph the project as it goes along. ;)

legoman786
03-27-2006, 10:54 AM
I have to go over to his today to get our vacuum back, so I'll pick it up when I go. Like I said before, I can't start this project until I get a steady cash flow. :(

legoman786
03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I have just posted that I am selling my computer for a new one. The cash is going for another computer, not this one. Just to clear that up.

legoman786
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
BUMP

I got piccies!!! Go to the front page. I also got an idea for some easy cash... I can make a lil computer reselling business and sell amongst my teachers at school. When I the cash from there, I'll start ordering in bulk and go amongst my friends and schoolmates. Since my mom is gonna help me get a business license, the school can't say anything. :)