PDA

View Full Version : Linkedin WTF?!?!!!

BuzzKillington
05-14-2010, 07:07 AM
I got an e-mail from a site called "linked in." It said I had people waiting or some crap so I googled the site, curious what it was. It was "safe" so I went to it and requested a pw from the e-mail address it sent me the e-mail to. There was a password but I NEVER signed up for this crap since I don't even know what it is.

Here's the best part... it had multiple e-mail addresses of mine "confirmed" in the "Close Account Verification." One of them is an gmail account that I have NEVER....ever used for anything. With the google phones you have to create a gmail account to use it. I made it... and that's all the action it's seen.

I'm creeped out.

mtekk
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
That sounds odd. Are you sure someone didn't hijack an email of yours and setup a Linkedin profile? I've never had anything like that happen to me with Linkedin, ans I've had a profile there for quite a while.

Airbozo
05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I use LinkedIn for job related stuff. That is the main reason for LinkedIn in the first place.

I agree that it is creepy. Just like Facebook. The SO gets and email occasionally from one of her friends or ex-students inviting her to join Facebook. At the bottom of the email is a list of all the people that she might know. Some of them we have not seen or heard from in over 10 years! It is creep that they would know it is her since she has never joined any social time wasting site...

x88x
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I've gotten a few emails supposedly from LinkedIn like that..I know I never signed up for any LinkedIn stuff, so I ignore them.

If you want to be even more creeped out, try looking up yourself and/or a couple of your email addresses with Maltego (http://www.paterva.com/web4/index.php/client/community-edition). It's scary how much information most people inadvertently leave open to the world.

Luthien
05-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I've never had anything strange happen to me me with Linkedin. I got a legitimate invitation to sign up for it, and I know it was legitimate because my mother sent it to me and had told me beforehand that she was going to. I've had that kind of thing happen to me from other sites though: Myspace and Tagged and a few others I can't even remember the names of anymore.

BuzzKillington
05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I wish there was a service that made you web-dead.