PDA

View Full Version : Most essential Tools

Lesst
03-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Okey okey, I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of days after I found this site. I've got this killer idea, at least for myself, that is slowly taking shape inside my head. I would like some tips on how to sketch it up maybe. And then the more important par. What are the really essential parts that I would need. Lets try to keep it to the minimum as I've got this thing for loosing my interest really quikly and I dont feel like spending that much money. What are the must have tools that I could get by fairly with out any difficulty?

Oh yeah. Got any "must have" tips for first time mod?

onelegout
03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I expect you'll need a big marker to sketch it because its such a huge mod. And a chainsaw will be useful for cutting all that wood. You're also gonna need to tell us what your idea actualy is. Otherwise, as im sure you will have gathered by now, we wont have any idea what tools you will need!
It's like saying 'ive got a good idea for a meal, what ingredients will I need?'
H

Rankenphile
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Dremel, files, sanding block and paper, eye protection, pliers, a good bench vice and a set of clamps are all things I consider pretty much essential. Beyond that, a scroll saw, a table saw, a jigsaw, a drill press and an electric screw gun are pretty much must-haves that you can do without if you're ready to put in the elow grease.

Aero
03-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Really the only thing I used for my first mods were a dremal and bondo (not that they were too good but it can be done). The less materials you have the more creative you need to be. As for scetching it up I would say just grab a pencil and paper and try to draw. Thats really all it takes, even if your not an artist (I suck at drawing) as long as you have an idea in your head you should be fine.

Cevinzol
03-14-2006, 05:28 AM
Lets try to keep it to the minimum as I've got this thing for loosing my interest really quikly and I dont feel like spending that much money.
This sounds like this may be a one shot deal. If so check with friends and see if they can help you out. Otherwise you may be shelling out a bunch of dough for tools you won't use again.

onelegout said it first.. what are you planning? Its not like we are going to run out and patten your idea. share what you had in mind. Then we can come up with better advice.

RankenPhile has a good list. I would add
Soldering iron, solder, adhesives, wirecutter/stripper, shop-vac and a place to work without having to move it (kitchen table is not good)

But we need more specifics to be of any really use to you.

crazybillybob
03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
This Are all good advise.

If you can give us an Idea of what you want to do. And a short list of the tools you have we mybe able to help you do it with out buying anything (or just the minimum.) The Dremel is nice, but if you have some other basic tools you can get away with out it....Depending on what your doing. Most of us have learned to be very creative with our tools, we can get them to do things that well, the designers never thought of, So give us a little more and we can help you allot better. And hopefully you've found something that you will not tire of.... (Great thing about Modding is you can take time off in between projects....helps keep you from burning out!)

Crazybillybob
Local Nut Job and Astromech Tech........Part Jawa, Part Wookie

DaveW
03-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Local Nut Job and Astromech Tech........Part Jawa, Part Wookie

Dear lord, trying not to think about how the parents met. Only in Mos Eisley.

-Dave

crazybillybob
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Dear lord, trying not to think about how the parents met. Only in Mos Eisley.

-Dave

Just Like Me.....They MADE It, umm Work.

DaveW
03-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, they say everyone's the same height lying down. All you gotta worry about now is species, and whether a Jawa even exists when you take it's crazy cloak/shroud thing away.

-Dave