PDA

View Full Version : Parallel radiator flow. Does it work?

x88x
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
So, I'm playing around with ways of mounting the TFC Mosta I got recently, and wanted to throw this question out there. I know it's been discussed, but I forget if there was every any real consensus.

If I were to hook up two radiators in a parallel flow setup as shown below, would it actually work properly? I know I've seen it done before but from what I know of fluid mechanics I feel like the pump should just push the fluid through the radiator that had the least resistance.

(yellow are rads, blue are hoses, arrows show flow)
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/parallelFlow.png

nevermind1534
05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
I guess it would work, but maybe not as efficiently (if I'm looking at your drawing correctly).

SXRguyinMA
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
it could work I guess. I've seen people plumb up their sli/crossfire cards in that kind of configuration.

slaveofconvention
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm confuzzled - I thought most rads only had one pair of connectors - surely you'd need two pairs on one of the rads to make this possible....

x88x
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Some rads have connectors on both sides. The Monsta is one of these.

I was also thinking it might not be as efficient, but I wasn't sure if it would actually work out like that once the liquid hits equilibrium.

Kayin
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
It does work. Swiftech makes radiators designed to do just that, in fact.

You may want to remember the size of the Monsta when calculating this-as well as the number of fans needed. It'll be nine fans-three on each side and three sandwiched in the middle to keep up static pressure. Add to that the size of the other radiator, and you approach a foot in thickness, especially if you use 38mm fans to increase pressure/airflow.

It's a good idea, and it's fully functional. Just remember space.

x88x
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
If I go this route, I'll have the Monsta sitting directly on top of my case, with fans below it and fans above it. Then, on top of the rear 2 fans I'll have two spacers and then my 2x140, then two more fans on top of that. That's the plan anyways. :twisted:

I'm gonna be pulling my case apart tonight to see if the Monsta will fit in the front bays, but if not then I think this will be the best option. Good to know it'll work. Will it be less effective than if I had run them in series though do you think? It would definitely be possible to run the two rads in series, I just would much prefer aesthetically to do parallel.

Oneslowz28
05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Man do I want one of those rads!!!!! That thing is huge

x88x
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Hahaha, yeah...it was just such a great deal though. I couldn't resist. :D

Also, I did a test-fit to see exactly how tall this thing is going to be.....it's, ummm....kinda ridiculous. :P
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/x13931x/zeus_74.jpg

Zephik
05-19-2010, 12:59 AM
I can see a case mod brewing here... :p

diluzio91
05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
no.... THIS is kinda ridiculous...

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2861/img0328f.jpg

this is merely... unconventional

billygoat333
05-19-2010, 03:33 AM
hahaha... this thread is full of win. I suggest testing it both ways, and then you can see if parallel or series will work better for you.

x88x
05-19-2010, 03:49 AM
I can see a case mod brewing here... :p

Heheh, yup. :twisted: This'll be a continuation to Zeus. ...and maybe now I'll finally start overclocking. :P

I want to have this mostly done by Friday so it'll be ready for use during the Defcon CTF quals, so I'm gonna head over to Microcenter tomorrow and pick up 5 of these Cooler Master 140mm fans (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0330056) (1000 RPM, 16 dBA, 60.9 CFM) and another of my 120mm Scythe Slip Streams (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0274207). That was all they had in stock, but I actually need one more Slip Stream and 3 more of the CM 140's to finish it off.. These should finish off the interior and structural fans though, so I can just screw the rest on to the exterior when I get them. I also finally made a nice little fan port multiplier tonight...too bad I made it for 12 fans, not the 16 I'll need....oops. Oh well, I guess I'll pick up more of those plugs tomorrow too.

One point does have me rather concerned though...does anyone know of any slim 140mm fans?

Oneslowz28
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I seem to remember artoodeetoo mentioning slim 140mm fans once.

Kayin
05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Yate Loons are the 20mm size instead of the 25mm (I'm looking at two now...)

x88x
05-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm, if the 25's don't fit, it'll be really close, so that extra 5mm might be enough to squeeze in there.

Spawn-Inc
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
it does work flow wise, but i would only do it with the exact same rad, so 2 monsta's or 2 swiftech ones.

different rad means different restriction, hell even the same rad could have a different restriction from how it was soldered together. but it's a much better bet.

as said already testing it would be ideal, then share the results :)

no.... THIS is kinda ridiculous...

this is merely... unconventional

ya that guy is a crazy nut!

mofo
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I realize the point is overkill, but the 120 rad on the back kinda becomes useless after two other radiators.

the delta t of that rad will probably only be around .5 a degree if any after the other rads have brought the temps to room by themselves.

the draw back of having the rad is the added restriction. your pump may have trouble going through two rads 2 or 3 blocks and a reservoir and t line.

I would ditch the 120, mount the 2x in the front, lose the reservoir, and mount the monsta outside on the top for oogling.

my 2 cents :D

x88x
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry, progress here, about halfway down the page, then new posts:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21796&page=9

mofo, you make a good point about the 120x1, but as long as the pump can hack it and I don't need the 120x1 anywhere else, I think I'll leave it there. As for rearranging, you can't see it in the shot that I posted in this thread, but there's already a 120x3 in the front...so the 140x2 wouldn't quite fit... :whistler: Also, it's 4 blocks (CPU, GPU full coverage, NB, and mosfets), and a res but no T-line (Swiftech micro-res, I'm using the top hole for a line to the fillport). I know that small a res, especially with all the rads, isn't gonna do much in the way of temps, but it serves to give the pump a little breathing room as the rads filter out air bubbles, so that'll stay.

I did discover that my parallel flow idea isn't gonna work, as is detailed more in the posts in the buildlog I linked, but I've figured out a series arrangement that'll look pretty sweet. ...I'm really glad I got that giant box of bitspower stuff though, I'm using a lot of fittings here...it'll probably end up having been about $100 worth of new fittings by the time I'm done..

artoodeeto
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I seem to remember artoodeetoo mentioning slim 140mm fans once.

I don't think I ever ran across any slim 140mm fans. I've got 6 of the slim 120mm's in my case...