PDA

View Full Version : What type of Graphics card are you most likely to liquid cool?

knowledgegranted
05-25-2010, 11:31 PM
What type of Graphics card are you most likely to liquid cool?

Please don't ask me why, I really can't answer questions.

SXRguyinMA
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
well I was going to watercool my 3870x2s in crossfire, but I decided to ditch the WC alltogether, so everything is air. I'm almost wishing I had left the SPU air and jsut doen a loop for the 2 cards...they get HOT!

x88x
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Voted high-end, but really it all depends what resources I'm throwing at a build. If I'm watercooling it anyways, I might as well put a block on the GPU. I would also say put priority on builds that need to be quite (think HTPC/etc), because you generally can get more cooling with less noise with watercooling, especially where GPUs are concerned.

Please don't ask me why, I really can't answer questions.

Now see, if you hadn't said that I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but now I'm curious. :P

knowledgegranted
05-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Voted high-end, but really it all depends what resources I'm throwing at a build. If I'm watercooling it anyways, I might as well put a block on the GPU. I would also say put priority on builds that need to be quite (think HTPC/etc), because you generally can get more cooling with less noise with watercooling, especially where GPUs are concerned.

Now see, if you hadn't said that I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but now I'm curious. :P

Fine, just one hint. Search across a few threads here on TBCS and you should have enough information to put a small thesis together.

x88x
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Fine, just one hint. Search across a few threads here on TBCS and you should have enough information to put a small thesis together.

Heheh, ok, I think I see what you mean. ;) Good luck.

knowledgegranted
05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Heheh, ok, I think I see what you mean. ;) Good luck.

Thanks, but no luck needed. It's already happened.

The boy 4rm oz
05-30-2010, 10:17 AM
As i'd only ever buy medium to high end cards and get 2-3 years use out of them I would say them. Also I like to overclock my cards so keeping them cool as well as quiet is what I am looking for. I voted High End.

Spawn-Inc
05-30-2010, 05:24 PM
i just put high, but i would very likely water cool any gpu i got. now the question for me would be full cover or core only. likely core only, depending on how much needs to be cooled.

mDust
05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone remember when the HD2900 was ATIs highest end card? Yeah, me neither...that was a really long time ago. I'm even still getting my money's worth as I'm still rockin' it to this day! It's water-cooled and still puts out as much heat as it did the day I got it.
I voted high-end. I did so because beast cards put out beast heat. Water is more efficient and quieter.

Where can you even find water-blocks for low-end cards?

Spawn-Inc
05-30-2010, 09:26 PM
^^ core only :) or custom

mDust
05-30-2010, 09:52 PM
^^ core only :) or custom

Oh man, I couldn't even imagine buying a sub-100 dollar card and then spending the time to fabricate an unnecessary water-block for it!:facepalm::D

The boy 4rm oz
05-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Why bother fabricating when the Swiftech MCW-60 will basically fit all GPU cores (with the required mounting plate), if it doesn't there is a new version out as well (forget its model number though). D-Tek also make their Fuzion which is very similar to the Swiftech block (both design and price wise) and I am pretty sure both DangerDen and EK make them as well. The only downside with core only blocks is that you need RAM sinks for the RAM and all major chips on the card and they hardly ever stay in place. I had a hell of a time getting them to stay put on my 8800GTX.

x88x
05-30-2010, 11:29 PM
For me it comes down to budget. If I have the money to do a full-coverage then I will. If I don't...if it's a high-end card I'll reconsider watercooling it, if it's mid to low end, I'll go hybrid.

Drum Thumper
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
I voted mid line, because that's what I have on hand at the moment.

But that would also require that I actually watercool too. In all actuality, I'll prolly WC my old PII here in the near future, if it still runs. Hasn't been turned on since about 1999 (long story behind that).

BuzzKillington
06-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Voted mid/high because I'd probably be WCing to overclock. If I was running top-high end I probably wouldn't be watercooling it until it needed the extra juice which by then would mean it's probably a mid/high card.