PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte i-Ram power usage thoughts.

defor
03-16-2006, 03:11 AM
I am working on a high-end SFF project without the availibility of pci slots. If anyone is familiar with this product, and can think of any reason why due to the single use of PCI compliance for regulated 3/5v dc alone, that this could not be powered off a dedicated circuit with a pci card edge to mate with the card, as there is no molex connector on the board for normal power interfacing?

TIA.

Slug Toy
03-20-2006, 12:49 AM
wow, i didnt answer this right away because your question is kind of hazy. im not too sure what you're asking. ill take a guess though.

seeming as you say you have no pci slots available, i would assume that you are asking if it is possible to power the i-ram with something other than a pci slot or molex, and still be able to use it.

my instinctive answer would be this: im sure with some modifications done to the board, you could power it with anything. you'd probably run into a problem trying to connect it back to the motherboard to actually use it. since there arent any pci slots for you to use, you may have to come up with some sort of crazy way to plug an SATA cable into it. i would hazard a guess that it may be possible to take the circuitry out of an old hard drive and slap it onto the i-ram, do a little wiring, and have the i-ram interface through the hard drive circuitry and to an SATA port. its a lot of theoretical stuff, and i really dont know if thats the answer you're looking for. i dont even know if it would work... youd need to be an electronics guru to be able to reverse engineer and modify parts like that.

anyways, if i answered the right question, i say go for it and see what happens. if i answered the wrong question, can you clarify it a bit?