PDA

View Full Version : gotta vent about international IM'ing/calling

artoodeeto
06-04-2010, 01:04 AM
ARG! So my girlfriend's in Italy, Urbania to be specific (about 200 very windy miles north of Rome). She flew out on Tuesday. She's there for a month long opera/Italian language program, and I think it's going to be fantastic. However, it's proving to be a bit harder to stay in touch than we thought. See, her apartment doesn't have internet access or a phone. She has her cell, but because it's Verizon, voice doesn't work unless you use Verizon's system which is a dollar a minute. :facepalm:
We downloaded Skype mobile onto her phone, a blackberry storm, thinking that because Skype works for calling normal phones from a computer if you pay the $14/month, it'd work the same from her phone. No such luck. Turns out Skype mobile doesn't work at all outside the US. not even for IM'ing. There's a nearby internet cafe, which is only 2 euros for unlimited internet, but there'd be no privacy for her and it closes at 10pm. With the 9 hour difference, that's 1pm here. Ok for weekends, but I'm still at work on weekdays. We could talk, just not for very long.
There's a card she could get for her laptop that's 40 euros for 100 hours of internet, but apparently they're not very fast. Not sure how it'd work for voice chatting.
We did discover that AIM works for IM'ing from her phone. But her phone randomly drops the internet connection, and AIM doesnt' always send the messages right away, if at all.

don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to whine, I'm really excited that she's doing this, and I know that as problems go this is really rather insignificant. But she's my best friend, and someone I'm used to talking to and hanging out with for a big chunk of each day, and it's not easy suddenly not being able to talk all the time. Of course, it *does* give me about 3 weeks with nothing really to do other than finish my sandcrawler LOL...

BTW, did I mention I'm going over there for 10 days at the end of the month? Once her program is over, we're going to Florence, Venice and Rome. :P I'm practically counting the hours....

x88x
06-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Hmm, have you considered her getting a prepaid cell over there, then you calling it using Skype/Google Voice/something similar? That way (I think) she'd just be using normal minutes, and the international connection gets handled on the cheap by the VOIP service.
EDIT:
Actually, looking at the prices for Google Voice at least, it would be cheapest if she could get a landline there (idk if possible for that short a time). 2 cents/minute that way as opposed to 21 or 30 cents per minute for various mobile carriers. I just checked Skype too, and it's 2.4 cents/minute for landline and 35.4 cents/minute for mobile after tax.

artoodeeto
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah I don't know that she can get a landline. We did confirm that there is a phone jack in the apartment. And I have Vonage at home, so if she did get a landline and I called it, it should be free. But while she could probably go get an actual phone, we have no idea on the service. the prepaid laptop card is likely what she'll do, then we can use skype as long as the connection's good enough.