PDA

View Full Version : SSD problem

Diamon
06-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Hi
I was cleaning up on my 80gb intel ssd, uninstalling some programs, deleting old files etc. Then I, for some reason, figured I should schedule an error-check at next startup. And now after the error-check I have a lot less space left and one of my shortcuts in the quick bar in windows 7 isn't working anymore.
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6199/errorcheck.png
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8150/barnb.png

mDust
06-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Error checking shouldn't cause any issues with an SSD, although you shouldn't have to use it unless you hard-power-off your computer, experience frequent power outages, or data being written to the drive is otherwise interrupted. Definitely don't defrag an SSD though. The controller on the drive automatically handles both of these functions by itself.

How much space are you missing? And you can always make a new shortcut.;)

Diamon
06-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Missing about 8 gb's and I would make a new shortcut if I remembered where it led to ^^

mDust
06-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Missing about 8 gb's and I would make a new shortcut if I remembered where it led to ^^

Delete the shortcut. It sounds like it wasn't important anyway.:)

Press start key+r and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. Screenshot the window that pops up with ctrl+alt+prt sc and post that. Make sure your SSD is visible in both panels.

Diamon
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Here ya go:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8928/diskv.png

EDIT: I remembered where the shortcut led to, it was a program I uninstalled during my clean up.

mDust
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
OK, I'm assuming drive E: is your problematic SSD...
Right click on the blue section on drive E: in the bottom section and click on expand. A wizard will pop up which allows you to expand your partition to the full size of the disk. Expand it to the maximum and you have your space back.

Diamon
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, drive c is my ssd, maybe I should've mentioned that.
However, I can only choose to shrink the c volume, not to expand it.

mDust
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi
I was cleaning up on my 80gb intel ssd

Doh! I learned how to read just now...

Well, go ahead and recover that unallocated 58GB on your E: drive anyway...
EDIT: Anyone reading can go ahead and not read the rest of this post because I'm an idiot. You're welcome for saving you the time and face palms.
Is the SSD new? The only thing I can think of is that an absolute ton of bad blocks were discovered and are no longer being used so the total capacity dropped. I tried googling this but didn't come up with anything fruitful. Perhaps other google magicians around here can provide a useful solution other than sending it back for warranty replacement.
Another thought: does your bios give any info on installed drives? If it does, see if the reported capacity is the same. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find out it's a software or driver issue that's easily fixable.

mDust
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Wait...it's new isn't it? Did you look at the capacity before you ran the scan? I'll bet it was the same. When the disk is formatted about 7-10% gets eaten up by the file system overhead...8GB is about what you'd have lost.
If this is the case, then I really need to pay more attention to things I read and what's going on around me...
Forget my previous post...it probably only upset you with all that "warranty replacement" and "bad block" talk...:)

EDIT: Why am I always wrong? I won't delete my idiotic utterings above, but although there is some overhead taken up by the file system, the real reason the drive formats down is because of the difference between base 10 and base 2. I just remembered this and realized that I was almost completely wrong. My apologies.

Diamon
06-05-2010, 04:59 PM
OK, thanks a lot for the help :)

BuzzKillington
06-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Having a bad day mDust? haha :P

mDust
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Having a bad day mDust? haha :P

Lol...not really bad, but it sure was ridiculous.:)