PDA

View Full Version : My site in the rough

BuzzKillington
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, it's up and starting to look like a site! Still pending approval on some affiliates and working out some kinks but I'm really liking where this guy is going.

www.nowhiringsandiego.com

EDIT: Any suggestions? My main complaint at the moment is that the feeds aren't San Diego specific. The designer told me that will bring more users to the site but wouldn't that drive most away since it's hard to find the information you were looking for?

nevermind1534
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I think I'd go there if I was looking for jobs in San Diego, not Columbus or London. If I was looking for jobs in San Diego, I would be disappointed that that isn't what the site is for, and would probably go elsewhere.

The site does look pretty good, though.

billygoat333
06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
the logo is top rate. the rest of the site is kinda bland in my opinion. just a lot of white. I think with a grey-bluish background like in the graphic to set the page against would make it easier to read, kinda how this site has the black background to keep you focused on the white part.

for a rough draft its looking great though! again, graphic is awesome. :)

BuzzKillington
06-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Would anyone mind clicking some ads on here so I can see if its working. I think I'm supposed to be getting like .10 per click or something but everything seems to be at 0.00? Anyone know how this works? Is it updated monthly or something?

Zephik
06-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Clicked away.

By the way.. kind of confusing. I was expecting a job's website. haha

Pretty nice, though. The header image is fantastic looking. Although I think it'd look better with the contact, etc tabs below the image and just do without the whole "Now Hiring San Diego" at the very top left corner. Maybe that's just me, though.

I wish there was something you could do with the ad's. That first one that is dead center right below the header image is kinda intrusive. It's just like BAM! All up in your face and what-not. haha

BuzzKillington
06-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Ya, I'm kinda frustrated with that. I suppose once it's finished with other ads to careerbuilder and jobs dot com and all of those I'll make money because people that stumble upon my site will be like pfff, I'll just go to one of these because this site sucks... but they definitely wont return. It's supposed to be a jobs/resume/interview tips site but the builder seems to be pretty noobish. I guess that's what happens when you find a guy on eBay to build your site for 100 bucks.

I would feel bad complaining because I know he put a lot of time into it and hes making me a free site but honestly, it's not going to stay this way. No one will return to this site because it's all just random articles pulled in by keywords. Very rarely do you see info on california let alone san diego specific. It'd be almost impossible to find a job using the site as it is right now.

I agree about the centered red ad. It makes the site look dishonest if that makes any sense. It's like, click this so I can make money off of you! I don't care if this site helps you just click this spam ad! Bleh.

EDIT: for example, at this moment it's basically a site for steve JOBS because of the keyword issue. The builders excuse was "that's the nature of the beast." Hmm...

Zephik
06-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Hmm, well perhaps once you've acquired the funds to do so, you can look for someone with a bit more impressive of a resume and ask them to revamp your website and to do it in such a way that will help you achieve the goal of the website? It looks like this one was just thrown together in a relatively basic way. You'd have to hire someone who would take the time to understand what you wanted out of the website, and then went out did their best with that understanding.

That or you could just learn all this stuff yourself, it'd save you a penny or two. lol

It's just so much easier to hire someone. lol (especially someone with actual talent and an honest interest in doing the best job possible. a rarity, to be sure.)

BuzzKillington
06-12-2010, 04:13 AM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7013/57844034.jpg

Web design has never been an interest of mine and seems like it's just too much to learn to be able to put together a nice site. I usually live by "why pay someone to do something you can do yourself?" but this is an exception. I have no problem coming up with ideas but bringing them to life visually/creatively is impossible for me.

EDIT: Apparently this is the builders idea of a near finished site. I thought this was a rough layout and he'd work on the kinks.

I know he put a lot of time into it and I'd feel bad by asking for my money back but what I received was definitely not what I paid for. I feel like you shouldn't advertise services you aren't capable of fulfilling. It'd be like me listing a custom flame job on your car and spending weeks drawing on it with crayon. Ya, it took a great deal of effort but who the hell wants it? I explained to him what I wanted before purchasing his services and he responded: "ABSOLUTLEY! Now that THAT is something I can do
that will kick butt! (...) Now I am excited!"