PDA

View Full Version : monitor does not come on

pippy
03-18-2006, 08:34 AM
hi, didnt know wether to put this in here or in the mobo chat,
i have put in my computer a new psu, new dvdwr, and a fan comtroller. since then when i turn my pc onthe monitor does not come on(just stays on standby with an orange light) i think it is becaseu i have unplugged the mobo power and lost the settings, i ahve tried my onboard graphics but still not working, anyone got any idea how to fix it

thanks

DaveW
03-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey pippy, i think i recognise this old problem. You might be surprised but the chances are that it's your monitor cable. The old VGA cables are notoriously badly designed. If your cable is moulded into your monitor, you could be in trouble. If it isn't, try unplugging it and plugging it back in again.

You might notice a sort of plastic thing attached to your cable-ever wondered what's inside? All it does is inside, the cable is wrapped around itself once in order to try and strengthen the signal (i think it works on the principal of constructive interference). Either way, this is an older technique that you hardly see anymore-you sometimes still see it in video game controllers, but only older ones like the N64 and PS1.

Basically, the cable is backwards technology, and although a lot of people are trying to phase it out, it's still a deeply rooted peice of hardware that's going to take a long time to completely rid ourselves off.

Try buying a new VGA cable if yours isn't moulded in.

Oh, and my terminology may be wrong here-i think the cable in question isn't technically a VGA cable but it's been around since the original VGA spec, and that's why it's called that. I think it's technically a D-sub with a serial number. But i think you know what one i mean.

-Dave

jdbnsn
03-20-2006, 03:37 AM
Unplugging your mother board shouldn't remove your settings as long as your battery is ok. You didn't switch video cards did you? Also, you may check the BIOS settings for video slot start up priority.

digital_exhaust
03-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Some specs would help, but I think it may a problrm with the power to your gpu. What kind of card is it?
Perhaps try a different line to your video card, swap the dvd line and the gpu line etc..
I'm pretty sure onboard graphics are disabled when you have a card installed, which would explain why you get nothing there.

Cannibal23
03-20-2006, 01:28 PM
first things first here. check the inside of the connector on the montitor cable for bent pins. do you get any video useing a diffrent monitor? try the monitor on a diffrent pc if you have one. if it works on one pc and not the other then its something with that pc. how new is the video card? does it require a plug from your power supply? if so is it plugged in? do you even hear your computer post beep when you power it on?

VandaL
03-27-2006, 12:35 AM
i've had the same problem when i OC'd my cpu, what worked for me was removing the battery from the mobo, however if u dont wana do that, in ur mobo instruction book find which jumpers to move to reset BIOS