PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a carb

knowledgegranted
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey guys,

So I decided to take ye 'old dirtbike out of the shed and sell her. Broom, put put, broom....put....puttt. The Carb is jammed full of old gas. Here's what I've done so far:

I've cleaned the jets, and ordered a flow-bowl replacement kit. What I need to know is what chemical solution can I put the carb assembly in to clean it off? Anything is fine safe/unsafe, I just need to get it clean.

Thanks for your help!

Airbozo
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Carb Cleaner.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/475383/fullsize/qft02.jpg%20alt=

lol!

Couldn't resist!

knowledgegranted
06-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Carb Cleaner.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/475383/fullsize/qft02.jpg%20alt=

lol!

Couldn't resist!

Haha thanks for the advice, that **** fails worse than anything.

x88x
06-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I've always had good luck with just straight motor oil.

Ichbin
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
What a coincidence, I'm in for the same question! I just took the carbs out of my bike also to clean them. Left choke needle and spring is all rusted but the inside of the carb seems fine.

knowledgegranted
06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
What a coincidence, I'm in for the same question! I just took the carbs out of my bike also to clean them. Left choke needle and spring is all rusted but the inside of the carb seems fine.

I just had to clean the jets, and order a new flow-bowl pin. Stupid piece of metal probably less than 10 grams cost $35.

altec
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Honestly, I've always just used my favorite gum cutter, carb cleaner, or brake clean. If I got some serious snot going on some diesel fuel does the trick for scrubbing. If you have a air compressor, spray everything down and blow air through any ports. Not really needed though. Just a extra...

I don't suggest any of the stuff made to do the job these days. They are all weak junk. I've left carbs sitting for weeks in what "back in the day" would have done in about 30 minutes...