PDA

View Full Version : Some help with Sprint

Trace
06-14-2010, 05:52 AM
So, I want the new Evo, but they want me to change my plan from a 30$ to a 60$ + 10$ a month for "Premium Data"

Anyone know if there is a way to activate it? I read through the terms and Conditions (http://shop.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml) and didn't find anything where they can control what plan I have to have to use with a phone. The only thing I found was this:

Our services will only work with our phones - not all services are available with all phones or on all networks

So is this a fight worth fighting? Do I have any legal grounds to demand they activate it (if I were to buy it, full out or at the discounted 2 year activation agreement) or am I pretty much boned?

Trace

x88x
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not intimately familiar with Sprint, but I would guess that if you buy it at their discounted rate with the 2-year plan, then no, you probably won't be able to fight it. If you buy it outright, paying full retail for the phone, then yeah, you might be able to. They're probably making you change the plan for one of two reasons (or both). Either their plan structure has changed drastically since you got your current plan, or they have to charge you more for the plan to offset the cost of the new phone.

Trace
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah I figured if I bought it out-right then I would have ground to stand on.

I have one of their legacy Employee Referral Plan which is a kickass deal. 30$ a month for 500 minutes, unlimited data, texting, picture messaging.

The plan is basically identical to my plan, save for the price.

x88x
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Ah, yeah, in that case I would say your only chance of possibly keeping your current plan is to buy the phone straight. In fact, if you get an unlocked one, you should even be able to just drop your SIM card in and never tell them that you got a new phone. :P

Trace
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
It's a CDMA which means no SIM :/

x88x
06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, not necessarily, you can have a SIM with CDMA, it's just that most US CDMA carriers integrate it into the phone to force you to stay with them. To sum up:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/2582294/img/Anonymous/fuuu.png

Trace
06-14-2010, 08:00 PM
OMFG +REP for the image!!!!!

Bopher
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Alltel tried to tell me that when i was looking to change from T-Mobile. I like the options of the smartphones but don't really need the internet and all the bells and whistles. It had something to do with the fact that when there are phone on the network not connecting to the internet they don't get software updates and I guess it messes with the systems when enough people don't get the data packages. Or it could be a lot of BS to try and get me on the more expensive plan. As said above, if it not required if you buy the phone outright then they have no ground to stand on. Unless they want to give you the same reasons Alltel gave me.

Trace
06-14-2010, 11:55 PM
The way I see it is:

If you buy a new TV, the cable company doesn't try to tell you that it requires a new plan to be compatible. True, to use the full HD capabilities of the TV, a new plan may be required, but my plan already has all the bells and whistles of the more expensive plan. Including data.

x88x
06-15-2010, 01:19 AM
If you buy a new TV, the cable company doesn't try to tell you that it requires a new plan to be compatible. True, to use the full HD capabilities of the TV, a new plan may be required, but my plan already has all the bells and whistles of the more expensive plan. Including data.

True, but on the other hand, the cable company isn't subsidizing 80% of the cost of your TV. Plus, because of the referral plan you got, you were paying much less for that full-feature plan than most other people. It was just a matter of time before they came up with some reason to get you to start paying the normal rate.

Trace
06-15-2010, 01:39 AM
If I purchase the phone full out, they aren't subsidizing it at all.

Luke122
06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
I've heard there are some issues with the touchscreen on the Evo.. maybe look into that before you buy one outright. That's a lot of money for something that lots of people are having trouble with.

Oneslowz28
06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I played with one today and I had not problems with the touch screen. It worked great and was about on par with my iTouch.