PDA

View Full Version : New gen from Nvidia

Jetty_200
03-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey, sorry just started a new job recently...co-op actually but it's like 10-12 hour days and such and whatever...bottom line is i lost most of my time that i spend looking at computers...i didn't even know about the new gen. of cards coming from nvidia...only knew about the new X1900's. anyways jsut wanted to know what ppl thought about, anyone order one yet? and if anyone has seen any worthwhile reviews/previews of it. other then the basic..3dmark tests and doom 3 and such...already read them. Thanks a bunch yall

onelegout
03-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Are you talking about the 7 series? I think one or two people have bought a 7900GTX. I have, but I dont get to try it out for another 3 weeks!!! (Picking it up from my bros house when i go to the states this easter!)
Unless you can wait 'til then, I cant realy be of any help!:( Ive had no luck finding any good reviews either, so if anyone finds any give me a shout!
Peace
H

moOmL
03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Well i've heard alot of people say the 7900gtx is amazing.. especially in SLi. I only actually know one person who has it.. he said it was just rediculous as well. He just has the one card.

The bottom line is the 7900 gtx is about the same price as the 1900xtx and is alot better... from what i hear. I haven't seen any test charts from it but it sounds awesome. I plan on getting a 7900 from newegg soon.

DaveW
03-22-2006, 06:44 PM
The bottom line is the 7900 gtx is about the same price as the 1900xtx and is alot better... from what i hear.

All the reviews i've read say otherwise-ihear the 1900xtx is a ludicrously fast card, but after the price of the 1800 dropped after only 2 months by something like 40% no-one trusts ATI anymore with their money. You'd be pissed if your brand spanking top of the line new card was yesterday's tech after a month.

-Dave

Slug Toy
03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
unfortunately, price drops and obsolete hardware is the name of the graphics game. even more unfortunate is the fact that the 7900's just came out, and in a mere four months they'll be outdone again. you cant win, so i wouldnt necessarily be upset.

in terms of 7900 performance, its impressive to say the least. i dont have one, but i talk to enough people and read enough about hardware that i "effectively" have one.

i cant remember if, or where, i mentioned the 7900 versus x1900 before, but ill say it again for the heck of it. nvidia has the edge in texture and openGL performance, so the 7900's hold strong in games that are texture intensive and/or openGL based. ati has the edge in shading and most general performance aspects, so the x1900's are doing good in shader intensive games, which a lot of the new ones are. overall, the various advantages and disadvantages make both cards about equal. anyone that says either card has a distinct advantage at this point is probably lying. its a classic story... ati makes something to match nvidia, or the other way around.

if you're looking for worthwhile reviews, you can look at this two ways. either they're all worthwhile because they're all reviews of the 7900, or none of them are worthwhile because they're all the same old same old. you wont find anything unique... its a bummer because a lot of reviews are just starting to look the same, and stagnate. its kind of like watching 24 hour news channels where they all just start saying the same thing over and over again. the best review you'll find is if you manage to track down someone who has a 7900.

having said that, someone who has a 7900, post here please.

onelegout
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Very true about the reviews all being the same. Im sick to death of ****ing 3dmark scores - From what I gather they don't actualy mean anything. I would like to see some sites writing reviews with stuff like comparisons of screenshots of the latest games taken with different cards. I have seen this before but only twice, and never with the latest cards!

When I had to choose between the 7900GTX and the 1900xtx I ended up making the decision purely on how the card would look in the case im about to start work on! The 7900gtx just looked far, far cooler and didnt have one of those stupid graphics on the cooler with some crappy 3d fantasy woman figure or an advertisment for some game or something!

tybrenis
03-23-2006, 07:14 PM
It's actually kind of a shame. I sell the new 7900 cards in my online store, and they are quite popular. However, I have never actually used one before.

Jetty_200
03-24-2006, 10:46 AM
:| weird...i feel your pain man...i feel it. What do you have right now? And what store do you have???

moOmL
03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
didnt have one of those stupid graphics on the cooler with some crappy 3d fantasy woman figure or an advertisment for some game or something!

Haha! Very true.

I also like the screenshot tests MUCH better. I like seeing the difference between a screenshot from a game using, for example, a 1900xtx vs a screenshot from the same game using an x800 or something.

Okkkay
03-25-2006, 06:21 PM
is the 7900 gt better then the 7800 gtx? just wondering cuz the 7800 gtx cost more than the 7900 gt

DaveW
03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
That's a pretty complex question: it depends on the manufacturer of the card, on board memory, and all sorts of etcetera-related crap.

If you shove up links to the two cards, it would make life easier.

-Dave

public_eyesore
03-25-2006, 09:50 PM
the 7900gt is a little better than the 7800gtx by like 5 fps on most games

Okkkay
03-26-2006, 03:00 AM
i did some googleing and found out that the 7900 gt is better than the 7800 gtx by about %17 and is about $100 cheaper depending on which one you get! BUT, i think the 7800 gtx fan and heat sink look cooler but i guess that doesnt matter cuz im gonna water cool it anyway. Hopefully nvidia will lower the cost of the 7800 gtx to about $250 that would be great!

public_eyesore
03-26-2006, 03:35 AM
17 percent?! i would like to see where your sources are

Okkkay
03-28-2006, 02:00 AM
check out this site it has benchmarks for the superclocked 7900 gt vs. the 7800 gtx

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_geforce_7900_gt/page_4.shtml

Slug Toy
03-29-2006, 12:03 AM
note that the 7900 has 100MHz over the stock core frequency, and 260MHz over the stock RAM frequency. we dont even know if the 7800 is at stock or overclocked either. its not a fair comparison. if anyone finds a benchmark that has a comparison with similar frequencies between these two cards, that would help quite a bit. preferably two reference cards being compared.

anyways, nice try, but 17% doesnt cut it. keep looking.

onelegout
03-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Here are a few more reviews on the 7900GTX
I get mine in 3 days! :D .....Although I wont be able to try it for 2 weeks!:(

anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717)
HardOCP (http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==)
FiringSquad (http://firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/)
TechReport (http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/geforce-7600-7900/index.x?pg=1)
Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/09/ati_and_nvidias_same_day_mega_launch_mayhem/)

Peace
H

P.S. www.firingsquad.com has REALY impressed me today. Their reviews are realy well written and this guide to tweaking and optimising XP is simply fantastic!
http://firingsquad.com/guides/windows_xp_opt/
Check it out if you havn't already. My boot time is now measured in seconds instead of weeks! :D

onelegout
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
I got to have a look at my card but i still cant use it for a few weeks. It is HUGE though. It is the width of my atx mobo!

onelegout
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Hmm... Recently Ive been getting some strange feelings about my system. Things seem to be running a little too jerky and I keep noticing the graphics seem to crawl across the screen when panning from side to side in a game. Whenever I start a game in bf2 it takes at least 20 seconds until it has got up to speed fps wise, and I just downloaded 3dmark05 (the free one) and got a score of....well....
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3413/3dmark053ie.jpg
Isnt that a bit low for my system? :S considering that my p4 was clocked at 3.2Ghz, and my 7900GTX was clocked at 675/860 core/memory...
Am I just being silly or is something wrong here? I REALY hope that nothing is wrong with the card, because I cannot return it. (bought it a few thousand miles away, from the internet, using my brothers credit card.)
Thanks for the help
H

bartvandenberg
05-19-2006, 12:17 AM
seems like your memory speeds are really slow. my 6800 ultra has core/mem of 425/1100 stock. your mem speed should be about 1600mhz no? look it up. i may be way off. but.. sounds like your prob could be many things. backed up registry maybe? that produced a lot of lag. spyware? i dont know a whole lot about that kind of thing. just a stab in the dark for sure on my part. hope i somewhat helped in any way anyway

onelegout
05-19-2006, 11:18 AM
hmm...well the memory speed seems to be correct for my card, and I re-installed the drivers (making sure to uninstall the old ones) what do you mean by backed up registry? I am doing a adware cleanup right now, and it's returning quite a lot of issues, but I dont think that will be the problem. Im using ad-aware. Does it scan for spyware also? I cant tell! If not, do you know of a good free spyware scan/removal tool?
Thanks!
H

bartvandenberg
05-19-2006, 11:13 PM
um.. the only thing i can think of off hand is spybot. ive heard its pretty good. you can get ahold of it somewhere too on the internet for free as far as i know. what nvidia drivers are you using? im using 83.90 and it works much better than the newest one they have out.

and what i mean by your registry being backed up is that every time you install and uninstall programs, your registry keys get added/changed.

http://www.registryfix.com/

this is the program i use. works very well, and ive never had any problems with it whatsoever. just read what it does, and that will tell you what kind of problems you could have with invalid entries in your registry. could be adding to your pc probs.

what kind of card is it anyway? whats the exact specs on it? maybe read what kind of frequencies you can get out of it overclocking it. then download "coolbits" and tweak your card with that. if the card doesnt like your overclock, it wont let you do it. which i found really nice. you can get coolbits from www.guru3d.com

let me know what kind of card it is first i guess. check out registry fix, and spybot, see if you hvae issues like that, and... we can go from there...

onelegout
05-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Ok! well im adware and spyware clean, clean registry, and Im already OCd to...
cpu: p4 3.2ghz (Dont ever buy an abit GD8 mobo, they SUCK for overclocking!)
gpu: stock:650/800 OC:700/850 (that makes the memory clock actualy 1700!

My next step is to revert back to the same drivers as you, because these are buggy and crappy.
Then I'll see if there's any difference.

Im starting to think that this is all down to my cheap, crappy ram.
H

Malignus Wingnut
05-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't know dude, my rig is :

AMD 64 3800+ (Stock Speeds)
1gb pc3200 <-- VALUE RAM
30gb crap hd
evga 7900gt (500/750)

And I get an average of a bout 8430 in 3dmark05. These are all stock clocks. I don't think it's your ram, as mine is probably just as bad or worse than yours.

onelegout
05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Ah yes, but my ram is running at pc2700 ;)

public_eyesore
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
^^^I would laugh at you, but my rig doesn't compare so i cant