PDA

View Full Version : Panels that open with the turn of a knob

Mach
04-07-2005, 09:00 PM
For the past month or so, my spare time has been consumed by researching how to build a mini-itx media center. I am stuck on how to approach the idea of controls and servos though.

From the inspiration gleaned at the Mini-Itx website and Mashie.org, I've bought an old bakelite radio from ebay and intend to turn it into a mini-itx media center. The radio has 4 knobs on the front and a speaker opening that can be used for ports or an lcd touch screen. I would like to make the 4 knobs map-able from the OS with one of them controlling a speaker opening cover that rolls up and down like a tamboured/security garage door to hide the screen or ports.

What is the best way to make this work? I don't have much experience with electronics/soldering but I have found a couple of control boards that can be interfaced as USB HID devices (for mapping) or can be controlled directly from Windows. I'm willing to try my hand at soldering but this would make it easier for me to setup.
Phidgets (http://www.phidgets.com/index.php?module=pncommerce&func=itemview&KID=111185128283.193.168.28&IID=31)

GPWiz (http://www.groovygamegear.com/cgi/surfshop/shop.cgi?ud=Q1dJVzNVV0YzQyUlJSUlJTExMTE4NTQ5MjYA&storeid=1&cols=1&categories=0041&&c=detail.htm&itemid=GPWIZMAX01)

I would like the lcd cover to either open/close on demand via one of the knobs or as a startup/shutdown event. Similar to what Paul did for the Doom mod blast door. How can I make this work? What hardware would I need to do it? I have read Mashie's how-to on servos. Is this the best method? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mach
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
[Bump]Anyone?

Frakk
04-10-2005, 05:44 PM
yes servos are nice and very controllable. i dont have too much experience with them, so i recommend looking up some more guides. shouldnt be too hard but you have to know some electronics.

fishies
04-11-2005, 09:40 AM
That's an awesome site.

Mach
04-12-2005, 02:28 AM
I think I've got this figured out. The servo guide on Mashie's site does a good job of explaining what I need to do (after I read it 4 or 5 times) at least for the servo. I decided to go with the phidgets for interfacing the knobs to windows events as it give me the added flexibiity to play with some other goodies. They've got a 64 led pcb that can control all 64 leds individually. Ooooh the mind reels with possibilities. :D