PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a router bit?

pure_rock_fury
03-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey guys, like I have said before I am a bit new at this. I did a bit of google-ing and am still a bit unsure. What should I look for if I want to cut metal and plex with a router? I am assuming the plex won't be to hard, but what about softer metals like copper, brass, or even aluminum? Thanks for all the help you can provide.

DaveW
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking it would take a solid diamond. Probably not the best way to cut your metal, but then again, i've never tried. Maybe you would be better off with cutting disks? I'm pretty sure that it takes an industrial quality bit to keep it's form, and not get destroyed by the strain.

-Dave

tybrenis
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Carbide tips. Even so, it will get worn down pretty quickly. I agree with Dave, routing metal isn't the easiest thing on the planet. However, when routing acrylic, any router bit with a carbide tip will work.

pure_rock_fury
03-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys, it looks like I will have to switch to plan B...
now to figure out what plan B is :p

Thanks again for the info.

jdbnsn
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I cut metal using mainly blade saws for thinner metals (ban saw for edge cuts and jig saw for cutting holes) and for thicker metals I use a cutting disc like DaveW mentioned. You can use the discs in air tools (what I use) or grinders. There is also the option of a nibbler, there is a manual version (looks like a riveting tool) which works fine on thin metal but can be tedious, and if you have access to an air compressor, you can get an air-powered one if you plan to cut thicker metals (and plan on cutting enough to justify the cost). The air powered version is expensive, but let me tell you it works nice, I have cut through some fairly thick metals like butter and makes curves easy.

crazybillybob
03-27-2006, 01:40 PM
You can use a Router on Aluminum very efectively. You have to use Carbide Steel bits and it's best to get a voltage controler (speed controler) for your Router. The Choice of Aluminum Alloy is also something you must look at, you don't want something to soft (3003) Or to hard. I recomend 6061, good all around, very machinable, very durable, not to brittle not to soft.

Crazybillybob