PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning

mszo
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
When i installed XP I partitioned my hard drive. One partition was 10Gb for Windows only and the other one(about 190gb) was for everything else. Now it's set up to have the desktop for the small partition. How do I change it so C(10gb) is just running in the background and G(190gb) is the desktop and the primary partition?

does that even make sense?

Jetty_200
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
ummm....i don't get it... :S

mszo
03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
For example, when you install 'stuff' then it asks you where you want it installed. Instead of having it as C, I want it to automatically choose G

Is it possible or do I have to re-partition the hard drive?

mszo
03-28-2006, 11:14 PM
doesn't any more. It was a brand new hard drive and I didn't want to wait for a response, so I just partitioned it again, but correctly this time:D

Cevinzol
03-28-2006, 11:30 PM
*Edit, Bah I was still typing this whe you posted. oh well.*

Normally when you install a new program the default location is set by the company. In most cases it is the "program files" folder. This is, by default again, located on the same drive that Windows is installed.

You shouldn't have to re-install windows.
The simplest solution to your problem is to choose the "custom" option when installing new apps and change the destination location. As a rule I always choose the 'custom' option and install to a sub-folder in my 'C:\apps' folder. That way I know what is being installed and it helps prevent getting extra junk on my drive I don't want. Also most application, like office have a setting in them to change their default save location.

I hope this helps.

mszo
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
That's sorta what I was trying to avoid though. i know it's not a huge deal, but I didn't want to have to select a loaction every time.

Thanks though