PDA

View Full Version : fan control switch question

Rabidsquirrel314
03-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Hello, im a newly registered user here but i have been checking out the site and forums for a month or so now. I must say, i love what i see here.

Anyhow i was thinking of making a fan speed controller for my case, but instead of using the Rheostat (round knob) type i would like to use a type of slide switch (like the ones you see on a soundboard) that would slide up and down to adjust the voltage/speed. My problem is, i cant find any of these switches anywhere (possibly because i dont know their propper name). If anyone here knows what they are called or where i can find them i would greatly apreciate it.

legoman786
03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
have you tried using the keyword "slider"?

Rabidsquirrel314
03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Well i just tried searching for "slider switches" on google, and some enjineering supply sites, but i still havent been able to turn up anything like what im looking for. The enjineering sites had vague descriptions and no listed price, and the only thing that google produced was a $15 wall fixture dimmer switch. maybe ill have to go "BIG" and use one of those in my case :-/ thanks for the help though.

jdbnsn
03-29-2006, 02:17 AM
This what you had in mind?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jdbnsn/home%20cp/Pot_Slider.jpg

Get this, sells for $0.95, find them here:
http://www.futurlec.com/Potentiometers.shtml

Rabidsquirrel314
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Thats EXACTLY what i was looking for, thanks alot!

chasezcw
04-08-2006, 12:47 PM
which total resistance should one use for one of those sliding pots? i need to slow down a noisy 120mm fan, i have a few small, screwdriver turnable, round pots but that slider you found would look and function so much better, i checked that link however the site is out of 1k slide pots, probably what i need, i might just have to deal with what i have for now and wire up the turnable one.

dgrmkrp
04-08-2006, 06:59 PM
just like to mention soething.. regardless of the type of system you use, 1k(or simillar) resistance is faaaar too much.. think less than 50ohms added resitance.. much less.. u need to look at the rating of the fan (on a sticker on the back part of the motor, it says 12v 0,xx A).. depending on the ampers you can decide to taylor a specific value that decreases the fan speed (actualy the voltage) to the desired value.. be careful at the minimum rated voltage (usually 7V..), so not to turn off the fan completely.. this way, you would just be heating the resistor, no fan action... 1k is just far too much and is used only for audio or signal processing.. to use one of those, you have to wire the desired resistance in parallel with it. This works with no flaws, if you choose the right resistance value and know what wattage it will dissipate as heat (for one 80mm fan, low noise, 1W is safe :) )