PDA

View Full Version : Would it be stupid to use a xbox power supply for just pc lighting?

.jrauck
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I have a xbox power supply that I can use for something would it be stupid to use it for cathode lights?

tybrenis
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Depends. If you have to pay for the PSU or somehow acquire it, that's just dumb, old PC PSUs are very easily found for cheap. Are these lights not going into your computer? Why not just use your current PSU? Almost all PSUs can handle cold cathodes, they are only 12 volts, standard molexes... seems silly to add another PSU. If it is really that dim, I would just buy a nicer PSU to replace my current one instead of adding a strange Xbox PSU and having to tinker with it.

sega01
03-28-2006, 10:07 PM
nope, i think it would be sweet to use it for that. aslong as it has the same output voltage as what the inverter needs.

.jrauck
03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Well impretty sure I really wouldn't have to mess with it very much since im pretty sure it its like a regular computer psu. Its pretty small not very visable and I only have a 400 watt power supply which possibly soon im going to be running 2 sli video cards.

tybrenis
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
If you are going to run 2 SLI video cards do NOT run them off that PSU, I would get a new one anyways for that purpose, I assume they are PCIe, and PCI e has a special power connector.

.jrauck
03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Ya they are pci express 16X and there are adapters for the other video cards

tybrenis
03-29-2006, 09:13 PM
None the less, you should still pony up for a decent PSU if you are going SLI, trust me you don't want to be wishing that you had when your PSU blows out, a standard 400 watt PSU can NOT handle SLI... Get an SLI compatible PCI e 550W PSU.