PDA

View Full Version : Gruntville?

TheGreatSatan
09-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I go to Gruntville maybe once a week, but now it's not coming up. Anyone know what's going on over there?

OvRiDe
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
It's not coming up for me either. They may just be having a server issue, but unfortunately they may have just called it quits. I check them every week or so, but they just don't have many Mods that get updated over there any more.

kagato
09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah - not sure how long it's gonna be before GruntmaN gets the site back up. The host he had went kaput so he's been trying to find a new home. Between being hella busy at work and his family, there hasn't been much progress. No idea on how long it'll end up being at this point.

Oneslowz28
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Well all the Gville Members are more than welcome to join here. We are not going anywhere!

kagato
09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Well all the Gville Members are more than welcome to join here. We are not going anywhere!

:banana:

TheGreatSatan
09-19-2010, 01:50 AM
You bring up a good point. Who's really left besides us? BitTech is the only other major player. Modder's Inc, WizD, ModNation, BoxGods, MaxPC, etc are all fizzled out.

diluzio91
09-19-2010, 02:53 AM
[h]ardforum?

TheGreatSatan
09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Last time I was there, there was no traffic

Oneslowz28
09-19-2010, 07:26 PM
You bring up a good point. Who's really left besides us? BitTech is the only other major player. Modder's Inc, WizD, ModNation, BoxGods, MaxPC, etc are all fizzled out.

As far as I know it Bit-tech and us are the only 2 serious modding sites left. There are some Brazilian sites, but we are it for the English speaking world. There are still a ton of OC sites left though, but they are beginning to decline to I think due to allegations of cheating, bad moderation, and lack of interest / funds to be a serious overclocker in today's economy.

So if you are a former member of one of the fallen modding sites, please spread the word that TBCS is still here and we are not going anywhere. We have an exciting fall / winter coming up with several contest, and we are working on implementing some cool stuff in the near future.

simon275
09-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Kinda sad if you think about it.

I guess alot of people might not be driven to modding anymore as there are some many reasonable looking cases on the market these days.

Also I bet the economy doesn't help either.

msmrx57
09-19-2010, 11:46 PM
So if you are a former member of one of the fallen modding sites, please spread the word that TBCS is still here and we are not going anywhere. We have an exciting fall / winter coming up with several contest, and we are working on implementing some cool stuff in the near future.

Not to metion the fact that people on this site will mod anything that doesn't get out of the way fast enough. :D

Diamon
09-20-2010, 06:00 AM

On the contrary I think less money in the wallet drives people to reuse and rebuild more rather then bying new.
For building new things from expensive materials I agree though.

TheGreatSatan
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Kinda sad if you think about it.

I guess alot of people might not be driven to modding anymore as there are some many reasonable looking cases on the market these days.

Good. I hope that help break up my competition to get in CPU again.:banana:

Oneslowz28
09-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Not if I beat you there first......

TheGreatSatan
09-21-2010, 12:39 AM
I've submitted two this week

slaveofconvention
09-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Not to metion the fact that people on this site will mod anything that doesn't get out of the way fast enough. :D

Pfft - if it gets out of the way fast enough, chase it down man!!!! Thought you were dedicated n stuff!!

Americanfreak
09-27-2010, 06:40 PM

As far as I know it Bit-tech and us are the only 2 serious modding sites left.

WOW really? Please do not take this the wrong way but Modders-Inc is FAR from fizzled out.

Hmmm we were part of NVISION 08 and did 1 1/2 hour case modding workshop plus was a part of the modding contest. 2009 we did another 1 1/2 hour modders workshop at QuakeCon 09 and gave away $1000's of cases and hardware. We have been doing a modding podcast. Also we are doing a two part series in CPU Mag (Current issue and the next, about 6 pages total) and we are just finishing up (ends Sept 30th) a $1200 CyberPower PC giveaway.

Are we getting a bad rep somewhere? Are others say we are dead? I hope not as all we do is promote modding and we are currently working on bringing something major to the US about modding.

Wow I am kind of bummed now thinking people think we are not a major player/supporter of case modding.

TheGreatSatan
09-27-2010, 06:46 PM
It's just when I go there it doesn't seem to be that active. You have your "Last 5 Recent Posts" at the top of of the forums. I'll make a post and it will take at least a day or two to get bumped out. If we had that here it would be gone in a matter of hours

Americanfreak
09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
You are right as we seem to get a lot of "sightseers" at Modders-Inc and not many people posting mods and such which is to bad.

Oneslowz28
09-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I was basing my statement off of forum post updates alone. It does seem like out forums and Bit-tech's forums are the 2 most active. We have a wonderful member base here and a community that for the most part, polices itself. Our moderators rarely have to do anything other than ban the ever present spammers.

I apologize if my statement offended you. It was not meant to. I am glad to hear that MI is doing well and honestly, the more modding sites that survive and continue to thrive, the longer this art will live. As with any "business" competition is a good thing but friendly competition is even better.

TheGreatSatan
09-28-2010, 01:49 PM
You are right as we seem to get a lot of "sightseers" at Modders-Inc and not many people posting mods and such which is to bad.

Same here. I'm happy you guys are around and it's still a lot better place than when we were all at CaseModGod.

Ah, that seems so long ago....

Americanfreak
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Please do not ever say that site name when I am around. We don't even mention it, but if we REALLY have to it is referred to as "the other place".

Yeah you guys got some great supporters here and everyone has their favorite hang outs, such as I do But I must admit I am not much of a Bit-Tech fan. I should post up a few of my old work logs here...

blueonblack
09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I should post up a few of my old work logs here...

Agreed!

mDust
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I should post up a few of my old work logs here...Let the assimilation begin... Welcome to TBCS!

TheGreatSatan
09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Looking to catch up on AT-AT :banana:

Americanfreak
10-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Me too...LOL been working on a KISS boot though...

TheGreatSatan
10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll announce my next builds soon too. I'll put one on ModINC for sure.

ATi_Loyalist
10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Sup guys. Old skool in this thread!

TheGreatSatan
10-27-2010, 01:11 AM
^Holy Crap!

He lives!! :banana:

ATi_Loyalist
10-27-2010, 01:23 AM
You bet! Got a project in the works as a matter of fact! Caught the mod bug after 5 years out. :D So what happened to the modding scene? Seems to have shrunk, maybe its just the perspective I have seen of the modding world, but honestly, I have visited Bit-tech about 12 times in 5 years. Where is everyone at these days?

Oneslowz28
10-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Everyone who has not retired or disappeared now call TBCS home! Please feel free to post your new project here!

ATi_Loyalist
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Will do. Hope to have an initial post together this weekend. Still in the sketch/material acquisition phase. :D

crenn
10-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Oneslowz, if you remember, I disappeared for a year or so before I came back ;P

slaveofconvention
10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Will do. Hope to have an initial post together this weekend. Still in the sketch/material acquisition phase. :D

No excuse - we want to know all about the ideas - then we can flood your thread with silly "This thread is worthless without pics" emoticons!

Oneslowz28
10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
:stupid: :whistler: :pics:

OvRiDe
10-29-2010, 04:08 AM
:stupid:

ATi_Loyalist
11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Haha not starting a thread until I have pics, for said reasons above ^^ :lick:

Digital2D
02-10-2011, 03:04 AM
gvl 4 life?

GvL Sky
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I must agree with Digi. GvL4Life. I hate that Gruntville forums are down and that GruntvillE members are not in touch with the world like we once were.

As an original Grunt...I can say

"Some of us got old, some of us had children, some of us married other grunts, some of us had major medical conditions, but no matter what, we are GvL4Life."

diluzio91
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
lol... the name sounds like a zynga game where you breed different kinds of pigs

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

*Ducks*

billygoat333
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Haha ^ that's funny up there.

d_stilgar
11-08-2011, 02:56 AM

hardocp still has a strong following. I don't too often, but go often enough.

I'm not totally sure what it is, the economy probably has something to do with it. I haven't been too motivated to mod lately, and I rarely have funds, but that hasn't changed for bad or worse. I've never had extra money, haha.

And it's been slower around here too. I post what I can when I have the time, but I'm swamped. I'm taking 19 credits this semester and 18 next. I'm trying to cut a year off my program and I'm killing myself to do it.

Still, things are good overall and there are enough regulars here that it's still fun. I wish it was as busy as it was a few years ago. It used to be that I had to check every day or there would be too much to read. We need some class-A mods that can only be found here to bring in the members. I would totally volunteer if I had the money for it.

Let's see, this year is 25 years since Lucas Arts released their first game (I would do a mod if I had any time). 2018 will be 50 years since the release of 2001: A Space Odyssey (I must do a mod in time for that). Valve was started in 1996 and released Halflife in 1998, so we have a while there.

Idk, I'll start a few cool threads in the next few weeks, and Christmas is coming up so we should do the secret Santa again.

d_stilgar
11-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Oh man, this is totally a spammer's necro thread. I'm so lame for posting something relevant.

OvRiDe
11-08-2011, 03:12 AM
It may be necro but it's not really spam. I remember GvL Sky! I just recently took Gruntville out of my Favorites. :( It used to be on my regular tour of modding sites. Glad to see you pop in Sky. You should hang out we can still have fun just like the old days! :D

AmEv
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Only other modding site than BT that I know is active is Bill Owen's site.

Konrad
11-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Modding itself might be on the decline, a passing craze, no longer cool, just a bunch of creepy old guys who constantly argue conspiracy theories ... just like other fads which have come and gone: disco, leisure suits, bell bottoms, legwarmers, muttonchops, etc. We are a minority, we are outsiders, eccentrics, abnormals.

It seems to me that most computers seen by consumers are cheap mass-produced disposables, they aren't much interested in the high-end machinery because the junk stuff has sufficiently killa performance to not really justify spending more, those who want a little bling and customization can just spend a few bucks on a nice windowed case or waterloop or whatever and feel like they're pro modders. Besides, laptops and iPads and cellphones get all the glory these days, and they too are disposable.

The average consumer can't comprehend why anyone would spend their time and money on something common which will become obsolete and half-useless anyhow. They instead spend all their time and money constantly upgrading to newer bigger TV panels or endlessly pimping out their vehicles, hobbies which I personally find uninteresting.

xr4man
11-15-2011, 01:17 PM
it may slow a bit, but computer modding won't go away. modding or making things better is in our genetics. it goes all the way back to cavemen and that first dude that looked at the piece of flint he had laying around and said "i could break off an edge and make this thing sharp so i can cut my mastadon flesh easier." so modding was started about 100,000 years ago.

and yes, most people don't see why you would spend so much time and money on a custom built and modded computer when you can get good performance in an off the shelf pc. but once some of those people have to shell out the dough for a real power house pc for real video editing and workstation use, all of a sudden a custom built pc starts looking like a better choice.

then you have the people that simply have to have something special and different to show to their friends.

Konrad
11-17-2011, 04:31 AM
True. Alas, I don't see a lot of internet forums dedicated to discussing flint weaponry.

Kayin
11-19-2011, 06:25 PM
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/12#.TshIjfJbdaQ

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/_jthy/viewforum.php?f=9

http://flintknapping.com/Links.htm

http://www.woodlandoriginals.com/forum/

Plenty of good flint around here. Figured I'd play with some of it. Also, to disprove abovesaid point.

msmrx57
11-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Smuckin fartass. ;)

Konrad
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I can only lol at this.

xr4man
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM
hahahahahahaaa,

thanks kayin.