PDA

View Full Version : Server Suggestions

Trace
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Mods: I am putting this here, rather than in the software forum so that it will get a greater viewing audience.

Currently I am running the WHS Vail Beta on my little Dual-Core Atom server.

I'm happy with it, but am not sure if there is a possible better option.

So, My choices would be: Windows Server 2003/08, WHS(Vail, or other variant), XP/Vista/7, Some sort of Linux distro(suggestions?)

Since the Atom doesn't support Virtualization, if I want to run a SSH server, I am pretty much required to use linux.

My uses(current):

PC Backup (haven't had the need to do this...yet *knock on wood*)
File Repository/Backup ~500GB of music/video/pictures/programs/etc
Stream said files (music/video) to the PS3, other computers

What I want to do:
All of the above
Web server (LAMP) (Can be achieved on WHS)
FTP server (can be achieved on WHS)
SSH Server (Hard on Windows)

So, I am putting up a poll, and you are free to suggest alternatives to those I put forth, and please, suggest linux distros, if that is what you vote for.

x88x
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
I voted Linux, but tbh if you're not familiar with it, running a Linux server can be a pain. Personally I like it because it does everything I need, I'm comfortable with it, and it has a practically non-existent footprint. I've been running my fileserver off a 4GB CF card for over a year now with no problems with space (I'm looking to get a small SSD instead, but that's because of the limitations of the CF read/write tech, not the size).

If you want to stay with Windows, WHS seems to be a very competent platform, and there are a number of ways that you can operate a SSH server on Windows. My personal favorite is cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). The installer acts as the package manager, so keep it around, but there are plenty of packages available through it, including OpenSSH. It takes a while to install the first time, but IMO makes for much more seamless use than any other alternative I've used.

Trace
09-29-2010, 11:43 PM
I've tried getting SSH installed on windows. I have YET to succeed.

Linux does look to be an interesting option.

Can it stream and do PC backups?

Which distro do you recommend?

x88x
09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Stream what to where and what do you want to back up to where?

I would recommend Ubuntu. It's one of the most user-friendly ones, and one of the ones making the most strides in that direction. Plus, it has a (relatively) huge user-base, and on a more complicated note, it's based on Debian, which is great...for complicated reasons..

EDIT:
Oh, and if you want, I can throw together a quick tutorial for getting an OpenSSH server running on Windows with Cygwin. I had a mixed lab I was putting together a while ago that had to have every system running an SSH server, so I've got it pretty much down. ;)

Trace
09-30-2010, 12:55 AM
I would love to see a quick tutorial on that, as that would solve any issues with me switch to linux, as I can do a LAMP server on my WHS.

Stream videos/music to PCs and a PS3

Back up my Windows 7 based PCs (almost like a disk clone)

x88x
09-30-2010, 01:00 AM
I'll throw something together tomorrow then.

For streaming, you can set up SMB/NFS/iSCSI/whatever kind of share you want. I'm pretty sure the PS3 can read SMB shares...

For backup, that would depend on software on the client end (as, I assume, it does with WHS). IIRC, the Windows backup utility that comes with Windows 7 (only some versions?) does incremental backups and whatnot, so you would just mount the share as a drive and point the backup utility to store stuff on that drive. I do basically that, but with a third-party utility.

Trace
09-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks! I will check into that.

farlo
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
i used to use fedora core for my file server, but that was nearly 8 years ago, im not to up with current linux distros other than unbuntu.

i voted for the xp option by mistake, but for a simple file sharing server xp would be fine, for the ssh, not so much. open ssh (http://www.openssh.com) is supposed to work ok with a windows version, but ive never personally used it.

NightrainSrt4
09-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm in a similar boat as you, but have a bit more grunt under the server and am not limited to not using vt-x.

I had my server running windows 7 (server 2000 and XP before that) doing double duty as a HTPC and file server, but I separated the systems.

Now I'm running WHS, but I feel limited on what the server can do. I know there's a ton of plug-ins, but I would rather take a more interesting approach.

My next move is going to be Win Server 2008 with WHS running under Hyper-V passing the storage disks directly to the VM. Then I can also run other VM's for different things I need/want. No vt-x in your atom pretty much nixes that though.

If you can get SSH going under WHS might as well stick with that. At least see if you like it first before jumping to linux or server 03/08. Then you don't have to wonder later on if you would have rathered WHS.

Airbozo
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
The backup part of WHS is great. Just install the connector software and schedule a backup. No other software required. I backup windows vista 64, win7 64, windows XP SP3, and windows XP 64 with no issues. There is even a "backup Now" option on the client.

Streaming media is already built into WHS and from what I can tell the new version (based on windows server 2008) is even better at organizing the media.

Unless you want more work, use WHS instead of one of the stand alone Server 2003/8 os's. WHS already has so much built in it is definitely and advantage (plus it is way cheaper than the other windows server OS's).

WHS is so easy to install and setup it is almost silly.

Linux is nice and all, but if you are not already familiar with it, there is a steep learning curve. Hell I know linux/unix pretty well and I decided against linux in favor of WHS.

x88x
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Here ya go:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304993