PDA

View Full Version : Newcomers Section

jonopaul01
04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
This is more of a suggestion than a complaint. I was recently reading the newcomer guide by fishies (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190). No I am not suggesting anything to do about flameing on the forums but rather the fact that necomers need help. Newcomers (newbs) often introduce themselves by asking for help something like "what do I need to start modding"? This can be very annoying for users who have been in the forums for a long time as they have heard it many times before. And all the dozens of "need help with my first time modding" look messy on the forums. My idea is just to make a new section for newbs. call it something like "First timers" or something. This will be a place for all the people who want to get on with their first mod and this place will be able to have stickys like "essential tools" and "how to install a simple window".

Whisp
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Thats a good idea i think.

Crimson Sky
04-08-2005, 06:58 PM
We created the Rookie's Nook (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62) in response to your request. Good idea--cheers

jonopaul01
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Great, glad I could help. But I am afraid that I can't take full responsibility for the idea, fishies and Zed pointed out the problem in their post but were so busy flameing each other that they did not bother to figure out the obvious answer to the problem.
Speaking of which, I see that you have added the section I mentioned to the the Rookie Nook. I am not sure that this is a good idea. The thing is, the guide is pretty good but then fishies and ZeD (I heard through the grape vine that fishies may become a Mod) get into a big flame war. Because of this I do not think that this would be a good idea. This is quite likely going to be a one of the first sections that newcomers to the forums will look at. If fishies becomes a mod, I don't think that a flamewar between to mods ,who should know better, would give a very good impression of the site.

This is just my personal thoughts but I would also like to point out that ZeD does seem to blend well with some people. He is very straightforward, he says what he thinks and doesn't sugar coat things very well. This can cause some people to take offense. I must point out that this is just my own observations and I have no exaples to point out (except that one post) so please don't take it like I am insulting him, just my own thoughts.