PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's going on.

msmrx57
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
My computer is an HP Pavillion a1677c AMD dual core. I've had it about 5-6 years. About 2 months ago the video card died so I've been using the onboard video. However since then it ties up the internet and network connection without any thing running. I've run Avast, Spybot S&D, MalwareByte and nothing shows up. It doesn't do it all the time and restarting the computer solves it for awhile. When it does act up the send light on the cable modem is steady on. I've checked connection on everything multiple times and reset the bios. Any ideas on what is causing this?

x88x
10-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Check the automatic update settings for your various programs you have installed; sounds like one might be quietly downloading updates and not telling you. If that doesn't turn up anything, one time when it's doing it, run netstat and post the output. If there are any connections you don't recognize or look suspicious, that'll give a good starting point.

nevermind1534
10-07-2010, 09:09 PM
You can open task manager and start killing the programs (ones that say they were opened by your username)until your bandwidth usage drops off.

msmrx57
10-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks for trying to help guys. I've got my system down to 25 processes according to task manager. It would show 2-7% CPU usage but not show anything using the network connection. Netstat didn't show anything either so..... Backed up HD and flushed and re-installed and problem gone. I was just concerned that maybe something on the MB was going bad.