PDA

View Full Version : Fallout New Vegas

TheGreatSatan
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
It's out baby! Go get it!

x88x
10-19-2010, 11:02 PM
My router froze today while I was at work, so I couldn't make it download during the day. :( I won't be able to play it until tomorrow. :(

billygoat333
10-20-2010, 03:46 AM
I still need to play the original. Probably will wait til I have some hardware to do it justice (course i could just go with the 360) but I really REALLY wanna play this game.

diluzio91
10-20-2010, 11:11 AM
lol... i have to finish fallout 3 now...

kable-x
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
got the game yesterday, I gotta say im a little bit disappointed I tought the game would be different from fallout 3. The game rocks, dont get me wrong but to me it seems more of a big extension than an actual game.

Still, I most certainly WILL waste 200 Hours on it :)

x88x
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I haven't gotten to play it yet (stupid crappy internet connection :( ), but I was talking to a friend, and the 'hardcore' mode sounds awesome. :D Basically, it...makes it a lot harder. :P You have to eat and drink regularly or you get hungry/dehydrated, for serious injuries you have to go visit a doctor instead of just slapping a stimpack on, stimpacks affect you slower...ammo actually has weight. :twisted: All in all it sounds like it makes the game much more interactive...I'm definitely gonna be going that route. :D Oh, and apparently you have an option at the beginning of the game to turn it on, but can turn it off later in the game if you get sick of it...but you can't choose to start with it turned off and turn it on later.

kable-x
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I haven't gotten to play it yet (stupid crappy internet connection :( ), but I was talking to a friend, and the 'hardcore' mode sounds awesome. :D Basically, it...makes it a lot harder. :P You have to eat and drink regularly or you get hungry/dehydrated, for serious injuries you have to go visit a doctor instead of just slapping a stimpack on, stimpacks affect you slower...ammo actually has weight. :twisted: All in all it sounds like it makes the game much more interactive...I'm definitely gonna be going that route. :D Oh, and apparently you have an option at the beginning of the game to turn it on, but can turn it off later in the game if you get sick of it...but you can't choose to start with it turned off and turn it on later.

I am playing on hardcore mode, and it IS awesome!

you get offered to play the hardcore mode just after character creation. Sure its harder but man its worth it. Makes the game much more realistic. Though dehydration and starving are not as big of a factor as I would have thought...

TheGreatSatan
10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
~

tgm

~

x88x
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
:( ...my...wait...what??...game is awesome, but...my computer...noooooo!!!!..Can't run at max settings!! :( Can't even run at high?!?!?! Nooooo!!!

....on a completely unrelated note, does anyone have a GTX260 they want to sell?

NightrainSrt4
10-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Have you tried the d3d9.dll fix x88x? My GTX280 SC was getting creamed until I did. There's something wrong game/driver/windows side, not the GPU.

Before the fix I was going from 60's to low teens just by turning or moving. Using the new dll I get perfectly steady 65FPS at 1680x1050 on High settings. Dips to 55 in firefights. No dips anymore in Vats or looking at NPCs.

d3d9 fix (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778)

Using the dll from my existing windows installation like some have mentioned did nothing for me. This did.

x88x
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
That's actually exactly the problems I was having. I was just talking to a friend at work about it and he also mentioned that there was a known bug that would do what I was seeing. I'll try that fix when I get home tonight, hopefully it'll work...I'm not particularly looking forward to shelling out a bunch of money on another GPU if I don't need to.

NightrainSrt4
10-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I still get the random dips / stutter of about 30%, but that is when the engine is loading a new region, and has occurred with all gamebryo engine games that I have played. Did it with Oblivion, FO3, etc.

This though was entirely different and almost made the game unplayable. Just huge lags and stutters just by turning around, moving, vats, looking at npc's etc.

TheGreatSatan
10-21-2010, 08:52 PM
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! I just installed the game and up comes Steam! I have to play via the internet? WTF!!

If I can't just play this on my system w/o the internet then to hell with this game!

x88x
10-21-2010, 09:26 PM
This why we have offline mode. ;)

TheGreatSatan
10-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I can't figure Steam out. It says I can play without Steam once I've done the initial setup and verification, but when I open the game it launches a Steam window. How do I install it on my system? I want a dedicated icon, not a Steam launcher

diluzio91
10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
i had the same thing happen when i installed l4d2, 3 days later a notification poped up and said that l4d2 had finished installing, then it magically worked.

x88x
10-22-2010, 12:42 AM
I can't figure Steam out. It says I can play without Steam once I've done the initial setup and verification, but when I open the game it launches a Steam window. How do I install it on my system? I want a dedicated icon, not a Steam launcher

Steam acts as the DRM for the game, so during install it has to be running to verify..whatever it verifies..and when you want to run the game, it has to be running for the same reason. I'm guessing what happened is that Steam was not running when you tried to start the game after installation, so it opened a login prompt to start the Steam client? Personally, I just leave the client running on my computer all the time. It doesn't take up enough resources that it's bother bothering with. Also, if you want to play your Steam games without an internet connection, before you disconnect from the internet, open the Steam client, select the 'Steam' menu (top left corner), and select 'Go Offline'. Set like that it lets you do anything you would normally, but without connecting to the internet.

Think about it this way...would you rather have SecuROM or Steam?

Liquid_Scope_99
10-22-2010, 12:55 AM
I still need to play the original. Probably will wait til I have some hardware to do it justice (course i could just go with the 360) but I really REALLY wanna play this game.

The Original ROCKS on PC Man

x88x
10-22-2010, 03:42 AM
The Original ROCKS on PC Man

Are we talking about the original original (Fallout) or Fallout 3? ;)

blueonblack
10-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Are we talking about the original original (Fallout) or Fallout 3? ;)

Yes.

Oneslowz28
10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Just bought it. Installing now! This is my first fallout game.

blueonblack
10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
This is my first fallout game.

:eek:

I haven't played this one yet, but if it's anything like Fallout 3 you are in for a treat.

Oneslowz28
10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
It was on sale at one of the local gamestops for $40 so I figured it would be worth it.

x88x
10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
if it's anything like Fallout 3 you are in for a treat.
It is, an he is. :D

It was on sale at one of the local gamestops for $40 so I figured it would be worth it.

Definitely.

Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game, but I loved it.

blueonblack
10-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I played them from the first one, so I was worried about their transitioning it to 1st person, but they hit it on the head.

d_stilgar
10-31-2010, 01:48 AM
The biggest criticism I had heard about the new Fallout games is that they are too console based. I had decided to never get Fallout 3 or New Vegas, but a friend of mine bought New Vegas for me today as a steam gift. I'll be able to play tomorrow and give my impression.

I should mention that I still haven't finished Borderlands and rarely have a desire to play it.

blueonblack
10-31-2010, 06:48 AM
they are too console based.

I don't even know what that means. ??

NightrainSrt4
10-31-2010, 10:03 AM
The complaints are based on the Pip-Boy's menu system, the three choice at a time speech menu, the circular companion interaction screen; all of which are fixed/can be fixed in the various mods available.

Any game that still gives modding tools for the pc is a far cry from being consolized imo. Menu's and interface could use some work on this game, but I have no issue navigating them on the pc.

SXRguyinMA
10-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I should mention that I still haven't finished Borderlands and rarely have a desire to play it.

I'm the same way with L4D2. got it as a gift like 6 months ago, maybe have 1hr total in it

d_stilgar
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't even know what that means. ??

Mostly it just means that the game was made to work really well on a console and then ported over and adjusted to make work on PC. So far every game I've played like that has just not played as well as games developed for the PC first. It's less a criticism of the game than the platform I'm playing it on.

I'm the same way with L4D2. got it as a gift like 6 months ago, maybe have 1hr total in it

I mostly play L4D2. I have almost 300 hours in now. This also says something about my play style. I like shorter games. Many reviewers will criticize a game for being under 20 hours to beat. I usually like those games. I have no patience, no time, and there are just too many good games that come out every year. I have to choose which ones I want to play and which ones I'm going to skip.

Oneslowz28
11-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Ok my first gripe is that I paid for the convenience of installing from a dvd, but I find out that there is only 2gb of the game on the disk. The rest I have to download from steam. What kind of $%&@($ is that?

Killa_Ape
11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok my first gripe is that I paid for the convenience of installing from a dvd, but I find out that there is only 2gb of the game on the disk. The rest I have to download from steam. What kind of $%&@($ is that?

What's the deal with that?

farlo
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
i've put in about 8 hours of play time into new vegas so far, just kinda playing around and exploring doing random quests, giant radscorpions ticked me off as they swarmed me outside of starting town.

i miss the days of fallout being turnbased.

diluzio91
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
mmm, just got mine.... wont get to play till thursday!

TheGreatSatan
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I've been using the Debug MegaPistol (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_megapistol).

~
player.additem 001465a6 1
~

It was cut from the original game and can only be found by adding it via the console. If dropped it cannot be picked back up either. It does thousands of points of damage too, but looks like a 9mm

Also, the game ends when you beat the main quest. I already did it too. There's obviously going to be an expansion just like when they released Anchorage for F3. Once I beat it, the credits rolled and it kicked me back to the main screen. So, I went back to a previous save and stopped the main quest to pursue other small ones.

I download lots of mods too from TES Nexus (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/index.php). Including the fixed Chinese Stealth armor (http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36004).

x88x
11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
the game ends when you beat the main quest.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to discover that when I beat the main quest in Fallout 3. :( After the TES games I've played, I guess I just figured anything like that from BethSoft would be the same.

EDIT:
Also, re the debug pistol, personally I prefer taking them out from 300 yards with my silenced sniper rifle (that I actually bought in game). ;) I've wiped out the entire Legion main camp (and every one that I've run across) except for Caesar's tent, and they have no clue..I still have great rep with them. :twisted:

x88x
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Just saw this on CAD. Pretty hilarious...though I actually ended up killing everyone in there because I turned in a quest that I shouldn't have, given my earlier actions. :whistler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QY8MjsnC_g

billygoat333
11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
hahaha thats funny. stealing **** in a bucket.

Techno_Savage
11-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm currently playing Fallout New Vegas and it's bloody awesome
at the begining I dropped all my points in INT for a 10 and putting all my points in science, speech, Guns and repair and a few points in lockpick. As for feats I always pick what seems cool at the time and my characters are ALWAYS flawed
I seem to enjoy them more than the "Uber Best Build."
Also after picking up the Rebar club I wish I made a melee character then I found the Bumper sword:twisted: so needless to say that'll be my next toon.
Anyone else wish there was a Co-op mode?

TheGreatSatan
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
There's always mods.

dr.walrus
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Just saw this on CAD. Pretty hilarious...though I actually ended up killing everyone in there because I turned in a quest that I shouldn't have, given my earlier actions. :whistler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QY8MjsnC_g

You can just use a stealth boy and take everything anyway. It's pretty stupid.

I played the first two games as a kid and Fallout 3 was a bit of a kick in the balls if I'm honest - it was a good game, but just missing that special something that made Fallout what it was. New Vegas has mostly fixed that.

It's very good.

TheGreatSatan
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
New Vegas is far more boring. There must be a thousand buildings in-game that you can't even enter. At least in FO3, you had all of Washington DC to explore. I've been there and done all of it. I'm actually really annoyed by how little combat there is. I have it set for 'survivor mode' and 'Very Hard' and still it can be a long time before I ever come across anyone to shoot at. I've even downloaded some mods that try to add more bad guys, but it's not enough.

DynamoNED
02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I've only put in a dozen or so hours into New Vegas due to work time constraints, but I've been loving it. It kept what was good about Fallout 3 while improving a lot of what needed fixing.

Also potentially relevant, I found this well-done Fallout fan film: Fallout: Nuka Break (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UwlAAnlmg).

Munty
02-11-2011, 05:59 AM
I 'trialled' New Vegas to see if it was worth buying and although quality suffered due to the quality of the download (had choppy graphics and such which I know wouldn't have persisted in the proper game) I still didn't find it enjoyable enough to make me want to rush out and buy it. I hadn't played any of the Fallout series until just before xmas which is odd considering my love for turn based strategy classics, so I rectified it with a purchase of the original trilogy.

Played and completed the first one and am currently part-way through tactics (though I'm not playing very actively) Unfortunately the impression I got from New Vegas was that the FPS genre just doesn't sit right with the original releases. It's the difference between fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city knowing anyone of them could easily kill you with a few lucky shots, and running and jumping around a massive wasteland hiding from enemies while you busily heal and then shooting in their general direction for a while before repeating the process.

Sure that's not the expected or fun way to play the game but the formula for TB-strategy and FPS really are THAT different! So yeah, I'm not going to buy it, or at least not until it finds it's way into the bargain bin in a few years. There are a lot of other FPS out there that I'm waiting to buy so it's not that I don't like the genre but this particular one doesn't sit right with me after playing the originals.

x88x
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Also potentially relevant, I found this well-done Fallout fan film: Fallout: Nuka Break (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UwlAAnlmg).
Pure awesome! :D

Played and completed the first one and am currently part-way through tactics (though I'm not playing very actively) Unfortunately the impression I got from New Vegas was that the FPS genre just doesn't sit right with the original releases. It's the difference between fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city knowing anyone of them could easily kill you with a few lucky shots, and running and jumping around a massive wasteland hiding from enemies while you busily heal and then shooting in their general direction for a while before repeating the process.

You probably won't like Fallout 3 either then. And fwiw, there is plenty of 'fighting 10 enemies for control of an entire city' in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. ;) If you play it right (ie, staying away from certain areas until you've improved your skills a bit more), you shouldn't ever need to be constantly running from enemies. Anyway, not trying to convince you to go back and play it if you don't want to; just rambling. :P

Munty
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Well like I said, I just think it's not my cup of tea so I probably won't go back to it :p I'm certainly not going to spend a penny on the FPS titles until I've at least completed the rest of the original trilogy (only completed the first one so far and now working on tactics) Really though I haven't been playing much of anything lately so it'll be some time I think :D

mDust
02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Well like I said, I just think it's not my cup of tea so I probably won't go back to it :p

...so play it in a way that is your cup of tea! What I love about this game is that it's another RPG-FPS. Make a character that isn't the run'n'gun type and enjoy!

+1 for snipers.

Anyone have to reload due to bugs?
1) I've had my gun start firing repeatedly with no way to stop or put it away. Equipping another gun just makes that one start randomly firing.
2) Characters I was talking to (or about to) randomly ragdoll-flying into the sky and forever disappearing...
3) Objects blinking.
4) Certain events not taking place like they should...had to try one specific one multiple times (while wearing the dino-snipers hat if you know what I mean ;)) because the guy just wouldn't shoot like he was supposed to.

I'm sure I'll discover more as I continue playing. I wish I could log these and collect a bounty from Bethesda...

diluzio91
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
4) Certain events not taking place like they should...had to try one specific one multiple times (while wearing the dino-snipers hat if you know what I mean ;)) because the guy just wouldn't shoot like he was supposed to.

I didn't feel like investigating this one, but out of the random citizen I chose to bring with me I got it right. :banana::banana::banana:

Munty
02-14-2011, 04:48 AM
...so play it in a way that is your cup of tea! What I love about this game is that it's another RPG-FPS. Make a character that isn't the run'n'gun type and enjoy!

+1 for snipers.

Anyone have to reload due to bugs?
2) Characters I was talking to (or about to) randomly ragdoll-flying into the sky and forever disappearing...

I am a big fan of long range engagements in all sorts of FPS and RPGs actually, often going with scoped rifles or at least longbows! I find it makes the game rather more realistic as quite frankly you'll never win a fight if you have an MG and so do 15 enemies... I figure with sniping, especially in the real sense of an actual sniper rifle, you're using the long range to out-distance your enemies weapons and therefore playing on a real advantage. The way I see it, if you get shot a few times, you'll be dead, so playing in a way that minimises incoming fire is always the sensible way to go!

As for the issues, I assume you're using a store-bought or legal downloaded version so this probably won't help but when I trialled the game it was very wierd. The guy who does the tutorial and stat selection bit at the start was really messed up and his head kept rotating endlessley with his neck being the origin of movement. Was very wierd and I put it down to a crack or similar that was required to run the game.

Again I do not support or condone piracy and I do NOT have an illegal copy of this game...

x88x
02-14-2011, 05:49 AM
I am a big fan of long range engagements in all sorts of FPS and RPGs actually, often going with scoped rifles or at least longbows! I find it makes the game rather more realistic as quite frankly you'll never win a fight if you have an MG and so do 15 enemies... I figure with sniping, especially in the real sense of an actual sniper rifle, you're using the long range to out-distance your enemies weapons and therefore playing on a real advantage. The way I see it, if you get shot a few times, you'll be dead, so playing in a way that minimises incoming fire is always the sensible way to go!

Sniping is actually my preferred style of play as well, and both Fallout 3 and New Vegas work well for sniper characters. Especially New Vegas. If you can find all the pieces, eventually you can have a very long range sniper rifle, with an lightened stock (ie, it's lighter so you can carry more stuff) and a silencer. With the silencer, usually if they cant see you, they won't be able to tell where the shot came from, and most things I was able to take out with one headshot. :twisted:

Munty
02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Now that sounds more like my play-style :D I may well revisit the game one day as downloaded copies are never perfect reflections on store-bought copies so maybe I could get into it. For now though I have no money to buy it, no time to play it and no real desire to do either of the above anyway :D When it's cheaper and I've crossed a few projects off my list I'll have a think about trying again!

Techno_Savage
02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Been playing this game for quite some time and started with a pistol type character then made a melee character and enjoy cracking skulls with my rebar club almost as much as I enjoy getting head shots with whatever rifle I have handy. Once I find a true sniper rifle or scope to go on the one I have, I might raise my guns skill above 16 :D

As for bugs it doesn't matter how you got the game there are tons of glitches
my favorite is unloading your entire weapon into a friendly NPC without left clicking or random crashes when you haven't saved in awhile either way if you like the game shell out some cold hard $$ just to let Bethesda know you might like another game like this someday, again, in the future!

x88x
02-16-2011, 11:40 PM
random crashes when you haven't saved in awhile

Ah yes. Random crashes, my old friend. How are you? Through Oblivion and Fallout 3, good old 'F5' was my greatest protection...and my greatest downfall.

TheGreatSatan
02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Random crashes are the norm for Bethsoft.

TheGreatSatan
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
The first expansion pack called "Dead Money" is out! Download it today from Steam:banana: