PDA

View Full Version : 500 kV in a box!

x88x
10-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I just thought this was awesome. :twisted:

Large Marx generator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marx_generator) that can output up to 500kV. He uses (or rather, used; it's dismantled now) it to pulverise solid rock in order to get the minerals out of it undamaged.

http://www.lucidscience.com/gal-rock%20disaggregator-1.aspx

Yeticorn
10-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I almost thought this was going to be a Back to the Future post. lol

BuzzKillington
10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
PAQabaA2DWE

Why did he dismantle it? It seems like it'd be a great tool for getting precious metals/minerals out of chunks of rock and keeping them at their largest sizes.

mDust
10-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Why did he dismantle it? It seems like it'd be a great tool for getting precious metals/minerals out of chunks of rock and keeping them at their largest sizes.

This project uses energy levels that go WAY beyond lethal, so it was designed and tested in a secret location away from people and electronics equipment. The high voltage pulse was shown to disrupt nearby electronic devices such as computers and cell phones, so care had to be taken when firing off the device! Although the radiated pulse was nothing like the device shown in the movie "Ocean's Eleven", it did manage to destroy a laptop and a camera that were in the same building. A 500 Kilovolt pulse at 10 nanoseconds through 10 large inductors is certainly a good source of radiated energy! The final product did show a good working proof of concept model, so a much safer, quieter, and refined version could be built using new components.
Haha. That's why.

x88x
10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
/\ This. Also, apparently he doesn't have access to the location where he built it anymore, so using it might cause...problems.

This is another one of those project ideas that makes me glad I don't have large amounts of expendable income...it helps keep me from killing myself. :P

BuzzKillington
10-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I guess it would have made more sense if I read the entire article. lol

Diamon
10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
So cool. Maybe I'll build one myself in the future. Only I'll use it to disrupt electrical systems in order to achieve my diabolic goals! :twisted: