PDA

View Full Version : Apple OKs Intel-Macs to run Windows XP

Crimson Sky
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
It's official. I love the line about "Apple's superior hardware". thats just so much marketing bull****. :D

"CUPERTINO, California (AP) -- Apple Computer Inc. on Wednesday unveiled new software that allows Intel-based Macs to run Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP software.

The computer maker said its new "Boot Camp" software is available as a download beginning Wednesday. It allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac computer.

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors," Philip Schiller, Apple senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement.

Boot Camp makes it easier to install Windows software on an Intel-based Mac, with a step-by-step guide.

It also lets users choose to use either Mac OS X software, or the Windows software when they restart their computer.

Users can download the new Boot Camp software from Apple's Web site. A final version of Boot Camp will be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS X version 10.5 "Leopard."

onelegout
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I also saw this this morning - My first response was 'but surely that would defeat the point of having an apple in the first place?' What is an apple without it's os? isn't it just a regular pc when it all comes down to it? :S

Rankenphile
04-05-2006, 03:25 PM
That kicks ass. I'd love to have all my design software in an OSX environment, but still have all the Windows programs I use (and play) on the same machine.

Man, the Apple Geeks are gunna freak about this! I can't wait.

onelegout
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Can you install osx on a pc? will you be able to soon? :D

DaveW
04-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Is this a late april fool's joke?

-Dave

OvRiDe
04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Well I know that Apple is probably more willing to allow WinXP to run on their hardware then they are about OSX running on others hardware. As for OSX on a non-Apple intel platform... Let just say its already been done and leave it at that. ;)

Cevinzol
04-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok so now Mac hardware can play games?

I think I can hear the hoof beats of 4 horsemen.

Rankenphile
04-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Not quite yet, Cevinzol, there is still the matter of driver support and GPUs to consider. I wouldn't imagine it taking too long before it's a reality, but we're not quite there yet.

Crimson Sky
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Apple just wants a bigger slice of the PC pie. they realize their boutique-eee, hippy, Birkenstocky, artsy-fartsy photoshoppy bull**** marketing image can only go so far before their bottom line suffers. gaming on a Mac?. Pah! it will be a while.

OvRiDe
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Apple just wants a bigger slice of the PC pie. they realize their boutique-eee, hippy, Birkenstocky, artsy-fartsy photoshoppy bull**** marketing image can only go so far before their bottom line suffers. gaming on a Mac?. Pah! it will be a while.

Gaw..I wish Crimson would quit beating around the bush and just come out and say whats on his mind....

hahaha

Crimson Sky
04-06-2006, 02:05 PM
heeeeeee!!~~!

Crimson Sky
04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't like apple products as a whole--granted I own an iPod simply because it is by far the most elegant player out there (yet the itunes software blows)--I'll give them that.

jdbnsn
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Their marketing stratagies may be annoying and totally over-rating average equipment, but you have to admit it works. I know many people who chose apple products ranging from iPods to desktops and paid jacked up prices simply because they were underinformed of other selections and apple advertisements use every trick in the book.

Rankenphile
04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't like apple products as a whole--granted I own an iPod simply because it is by far the most elegant player out there (yet the itunes software blows)--I'll give them that.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/2440-1105.jpg

My MP3 player - I love it. Does everything an iPod video does, without all the lame DRM, supports way more video formats, has a longer battery life, and cost me about $25 less.

Only downside is that there are no good accessories for it like there are for the iPod, but I like it a lot.

jdbnsn
04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I just bought that exact same model for my girlfriend! Supposed to arrive tomorrow, can't wait to see it.

DaveW
04-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Serously, don't laugh, but i love my minidisc. I have one, i bought one for my girlfiend, and my dad got one for my brother. We all make discs and swap them; you can get about 3 CDs to one minidisc if you're lucky. in ATRAC4 mode (or whatver it's called) you can get about 100 songs on a disc. I had an MP3 player, but it broke.

The minidisc does it for me. Plus, it comes with a funky deskport, and you all know i love integrating everything.

-Dave

public_eyesore
04-06-2006, 11:26 PM
is there by chance a possibility that osx could run on a pc?

OvRiDe
04-07-2006, 02:30 AM

Shhhh.. don't let Apple hear you say that.. ;)

But look here (http://taisyo.up.seesaa.net/image/IMG_1703.JPG)..

opengswede
04-07-2006, 05:13 AM
What's the point? Use KDE (and any flavour of linux), same thing, basically, without the annoying Mac "everything-should-be-in-different-windows-spread-across-the-desktop". Me, i say, one program one window. i don't have to see what's on my desktop when i'm using word.
I got my gf creative zen a while back and she loves it, especially since it's green :D

As far as having windows on a mac I don't get it. Unless you can manage to shut the worst things with windows off, or run it in a virtual machine, i don't see the point in installing something less secure on a machine that have a pretty good security concept allready. /shaking head slowly/

cheers
-.erik

public_eyesore
04-07-2006, 11:52 AM
so basically your saying windows and mac sucks. Am i correct?

opengswede
04-08-2006, 03:48 AM
well pretty much...
some like mac, some like windows, i use both because i have to. But, linux is the all time fav. Even with OSX and scripting possibilities etc mac doesn't quite cut it. hardware support is not what i need, ie too hard to upgrade, too expensive.
i guess mac is preferable to windows, securitywise and their approach to incorporate x11 support etc, but i've grown up with windows and that is probably why i use it, in addition hardware is cheaper.

I mean, mini-mac is a great idea, but a mini-itx and linux will come out cheaper.
so, basically, i chose OS based on that I'm a cheap bastard.

did some thinking in the shower (best place for it, in my opinion).
It all comes down to what you want.
If you are a subscriber to the latest video and soundcards, my bet would be windows.
Same thing if you're a fsp junkie (which i'm not).
if you're looking for a secure system, go linux (or perhaps mac).
cheap -- go linux
easy to set up -- windows, and maybe mac.
highly customizable -- linux.
scripting -- linux, or perhaps mac (i actually tried VBscript the other day, which is fine but a bit complex, even for easy stuff).
good hardware support -- windows
there is probably more stuff to consider, but the point is that it's a trade-off between what you want, what you get, and how much you have to pay for it.

For me linux is the solution to most problems, it has free statistics packages, better than most commercial stuff i've tried (R-project). It got pretty good graphics programs (gimp, inkscape) and it has annoyingly good programmability (it's built for it). At work i deal with large sound file-databases and statistics around that (spectral content, etc). here linux programmability and scripting comes in really handy, plus i get support for high end sound cards. Therefore, I'm a strong proponent of linux.

i think that wraps my shower thoughts up.

cheers
-.erik