PDA

View Full Version : Linux?

onelegout
04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I hardly ever go a week without somebody trying to convince me that I need to run linux. I am a firm beleiver however, that if it aint broke, dont fix it. In other words, why would linux be better than windows?
Anyone here use it?
If so, could somebody tell me why it is so great? Would it be possible for me to choose whether to boot into xp or linux? what kind of apps work better on linux than windows?
I spent hours searching the net for this stuff but can only find tutorials how to use it, and sites that tell you what it is, not why it is! :D
Cheers
H

DaveW
04-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I'd say find out for yourself!

Knoppix is a version of linux that runs entirely off a CD. It's free to download, just burn it to a disc, put it in your drive, and make sure your CD drive is first in your boot order in the BIOS.

Then it loads up knoppix, allowing you to get a feel for linux without doing anything to your computer. Just remove the disc and restart to get windows back-easy.

Oh, and it's fairly easy to have a dual-boot windows/linux system. I know a lot of people who have then and they havn't moaned yet.

-Dave

xmastree
04-05-2006, 08:58 PM
There are plenty of choices. I'm an ubuntu (http://ubuntulinux.org/) user, and having tried others I find that suits me the best. There is an excellent forum (http://ubuntuforums.org), with support for new users and experienced alike. IMO, that's what makes ubuntu better, the community.

As for what runs better...

Most windows applications don't run natively, so you need alternatives. Instead of Photoshop, use Gimp. Instead of MS office, use Open Office. The list goes on.

If you're a gamer, stick with windows. Or dual-boot. I have XP but I only use it if I have to (my printer isn't supported..). That's another thing. Hardware support isn't as well covered. If you have an NVidia video card, that's no problem. Winmodems can be a pain, as can some printers and scanners. That's not the fault of linux, but the manufacturers not releasing the specs which allow drivers to be written.

Try a live CD (runs from the CD without touching your windows installation) but don't be put off by how slow it seems. That's just because it's running from the CD. A proper installation will be much faster. One thing you will probably notice is that everything works, right out of the box. Network cards, USB ports, sound, Video. Try that with windows without loading the drivers.

If you have a ethernet internet connection, and use DHCP, it will be connected to the net before it's even finished loading. :)

The biggest (IMO) advantage is choice. Linux can use a number of window managers, or desktops. Depending on your preverences. Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, ICE, and more.
Windows gives you explorer, period.

Take a look around that forum. I sugest you at least read this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315).

onelegout
04-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice!
One problem with knoppix though is that I have an AMD athlon64 2ghz and it says that only intel processors are supported - is this a problem in other versions of linux?

xmastree
04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
The intel version will run on athlon 64 just fine. I have a Knoppix cd here and it's ok on my athlon64

However, ubuntu does an athlon64 version...

Got bittorrent?
http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-live-amd64.iso.torrent

onelegout
04-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks! Im now downloading the liveCD version of ubuntu's athlon64 version. It's 74% downloaded so i'll be able to test it soon!
Will I need to install all of my hardware drivers all over again? or will it just work?
Cheers
H

onelegout
04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Well Im now writing this from ubuntu and Im very impressed - it's nice and fast even with the livecd. I am also impressed with the openoffice software - I have had big problems with getting microsoft word for this laptop and theres no way im paying for it - So this is great!!
Thanks for your help! :)
H

xmastree
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
It should just work. Depends on your system though.
Remember it's a live version, so anything you change will evaporate if you reboot.
Another thing, (apologies if you know this) make sure you burn the CD correctly.
Here's how: http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/ubuntu/burn

Edit: Erm, ignore that. I see you got it running.

less than one hour to download it? Damn, it took me five..

onelegout
04-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah man I went through every single mirror and found one which flew along at 550kbps :D

Im going to have to get the installation version now. How does it work partition wise? does it need to create a new partition?
Cheers
H

OvRiDe
04-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I run both Windows and linux. I mainly use Windows for gaming and just because its easier to find task specific software. I must say the linux software world has grown significantly over the last 5 years and there usually is some sort of corresponding package to a mainstream windows package. I admin a hosting box out on the net that I wouldn't dream of running anything but linux on. I also use it at work alot when we need to throw up some sort of temp dev platform. You can really get alot done with a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL Php) style server with out spending alot of cash, which of course the "suits" like. It still will be a while before its ready to be a full desktop operating system for the masses. Whats really kind of funny IMO is that most (by that I mean the average home users in which we pretty much don't fall in that catagory) people really just use their computers for email, surfing the web, listening to music, and minor office applications. Any liveCD distro can pretty much accomplish that very easily, and do it very well, which means it boils down to acceptance. Well that was my little mini rant. :) I enjoy using both OS's and look forward to seeing the advances of the linux world. The new XGL stuff looks VERY kewl. It will definately add some spice to the linux desktop. Check it out here.. Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7587965514994593432&q=xgl-demo1&pl=true) Oh.. and I guess the reason I started this post was I was going to mention that if you like Open Office for your laptop, there is also a Windows port of that as well. We load it at work for the non power users, and it works very well.

Have fun and good luck.

onelegout
04-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your help!
Im going to go install it now, I hope that it all goes well!
By the way, it took me 13 minutes to download the installable image! six-hundred-and-somethingkbps

archmaille
04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Linux is great for things such as web design, office work, etc. But it is HORRIBLE for games, and why I came back to primarily using Windows. OpenOffice.org is available for Windows as well, so if you're impressed with it it's on Windows too. I used Suse which is great! Much like Unbuntu it's easy to get started, but unlike Unbuntu it's got tons of power user tools that if you get more into the linux community are more advanced. Linux doesn't display very well for me though, the highest refresh rate my monitor will ever hit running linux is 70mhz which makes me feel like I'm going blind the flashing gives me headaches, but that's just me.

anyways, enjoy what you've got! Linux works good for a lot of stuff but isn't the perfect solution for several reasons that I don't have room to get into here. I'd suggest trying out Suse, you can dual boot both suse and Windows that's what I do.

xmastree
04-05-2006, 11:18 PM
How does it work partition wise? does it need to create a new partition?For dual booting the best thing is to create a blank space on your disk. In other words, reduce the size of your current windows partition. Apparently the installer can do this, but I haven't tried that. I satrted with a blank disk.
Ubuntu will offer to either erase the whole disk or use the available space.
How big is your disk?
If you want to share data between the filesystems, be aware that linux can read but not write to ntfs. FAT32 is no problem.
One partition for Windows, one FAT32 shared for data, and the rest for linux would be a neat solution.

I have, one 40GB (primary master) split 20/20 between Windows and linux. Two 80GB drives, both FAT32 for data.

Oh, and join the forums. Any questions you have will probably have been answered there. There's even one for absolute beginners.

And yes, I'm xmastree over there too.

xmastree
04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
One thing... Are you planning to install the 64 bit version? I haven't, since the benefits aren't all that much, and not all appliactions are available so some messing around is required to run them. I'm using the regular intel 386 version, with a K7 kernel.

OvRiDe
04-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I must say I didn't really care for Suse.. We were a big Novell shop (who aquired Suse). So they sent it to us hoping to sell a few copies, and I checked it out. I found YAST to be a bit restrictive. Especially when it came to packages that weren't included in the distro. The disto that really taught me the most and probably runs the fastest would be (IMO) Gentoo. The install process really taught me alot about how the os is put together. But I will warn you that its not for the faint of heart, heh. The install is completely interactive, there is no fancy gui and it requires alot of typing at the shell. They have a great step by step guide on how to install it, written at a level that a beginner could get it done. The reason it runs fast is everything is compiled from source, which of course is a double edge sword. It takes alot longer to install an application because it has to compile it, but when its done it will run faster then a generic-precompiled binary. They have done an excellent job with Portage, their package management system. It makes it extremely easy to install software. basically you just type "emerge <software package name>. It will go out to a central repository on the internet, determine the dependancies, download them, and then compile them in order. It really is pretty nice. Of course Debian has been doing that for a while and now Fedora is adopted apt and yum which will do about the same thing, only they use rpm or other binary packages. I don't use Gentoo as much as I used to mainly because I am usually under the gun to get stuff install in short order, so its easier and faster to use a binary based install system. Example when you finish installing for the first time you pretty much have a shell prompt and the core os. There is no Xwindows, KDE, etc. I finished an install about midnight on a Sunday. Typed in "emerge kde". It determined it needed to install 77 dependancies and started going to town. It finished about 7:30 on Tuesday.. heh.. of course the pc was only a 750mhz with 256Mb of RAM. Modern pc's will do much better.. heh .. Damn I turned yet another post into a mini rant.. heh 8)

onelegout
04-06-2006, 12:36 AM
:D OveRiDe - a lot of that made sense to me - some of it didnt yet! :D
I have installed it and WOW its speedy. I like the whole integrated IM thing also where you can have all of your different IM clients bundled into one! (I know you can do this using windows but it seems a lot easier and more efficient this way! :)

Cevinzol
04-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Has anyone setup a Beowolf cluster?
I run SETI@Home and I would love to see how fast I could crank out the work units with a bunch of old junker computers. I've heard the wireing is much easier now, you don't have to use a hypercube configuration.

The big thing holding me back is the lack of comercial games. I had redhat on my machine once but once it was up. I was thinking "now what" I wasn't about to convert years worth of files so I just went back to win98 (at the time). I guess I just didn't want to comit the time and effort to effectively re-learn the wheel.

I'm glad to hear the community has grown alot. I like to think that it keeps Bill Gates up at night :)

OvRiDe
04-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Never done the cluster thing yet, but it has always interested me some.

The big thing holding me back is the lack of comercial games. I hear ya there.. I tried to convert over to linux full time, using Wine (actually codeweavers Crossover Office) and VMWare for the things that I just couldn't find a linux substitute for. Gaming was the big stopper for me. WineX, I think they call it Transgaming now just wasn't cutting it. Even the games that it did support didn't really perform well. I was able to squeek it out for about a month, but that was only because Unreal Tournament 2004 and America's Army Ops both had linux versions. :)

I like to think that it keeps Bill Gates up at night
Me too!! but i doubt it. :(

Oh yah..
I like the whole integrated IM thing also where you can have all of your different IM clients bundled into one! I think that would be GAIM that your using. There is a windows port of that if you (God forbid) decide that linux isnt for you.. :) I use Trillian in Windows works great as well..

EDIT: Holy Cow post 300..

xmastree
04-06-2006, 03:42 AM
I have installed it and WOW its speedy.There's so much you can do with it in regards to eye candy. Check out 3d desktop...

First thing you have to do (if you haven't already) is enable the extra repositories and download all the good stuff. The easy way is to use automatix, but you don't have to. Plenty of advice on the forums.
Check out the gallery (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/) to see screenshots and what can be acheived.

Here's mine:
http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2113&original=1

DaveW
04-06-2006, 07:39 AM
On a side note, i got Red Hat for dummies, including Red Hat & software, for &#163;10 ($15 roughly). Not bad for a book with a &#163;50 RRP, and it's pretty concise. I only bought it for the part about setting up Apache on Fedora.

I'm a man for good deals.

-Dave

xmastree
04-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm a man for good deals.<checks location>. Aye, I'm sure you are. :p

DaveW
04-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Idignant: What's what supposed to mean?

(jk)
-Dave

xmastree
04-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Idignant: What's what supposed to mean?

(jk)
-Dave
Nothing... Nothing at all... :rolleyes:
Just the usual the usual English - Scottish friendly banter...

(if you're offended I'll delete it)

archmaille
04-06-2006, 08:47 AM
The big thing holding me back is the lack of comercial games.

that was my big hold back as well. I too used Wine which I researched before I ever switched to Linux and everyone in the linux community was like "yeah the game runs perfect and FAST" later I found out that their idea of "fast" was more like 15-20fps coming from a guy who's used to 85fps minimum I thought I was going blind :-P

I've heard great things about Gentoo, but personally wouldn't suggest it for a begginner, if I had to type out console commands and everything just to install it I would of given up... of course I would of had to stick to it since I've only got 1 computer in my house and I need something running.

archmaille
04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
On a side note, i got Red Hat for dummies

I love Red Hat for their support and everything they offer, if it weren't for them I never would of survived using Linux. I got all the console commands and everything I know off of their websites! Even though I've never used Red Hat.

xmastree
04-06-2006, 08:58 AM
My experience has been varied. I first tried linux ages ago. I got a CD with a magazine. This was before IDE CD drives so I had to make a bootable floppy using one of the images fromthe CD. I tried all of the options but none of them would recognise my CD.
Then, much later I bought a copy of Red Hat from a local shop. It was defective. All the disks they had were, so instead I took a copy of Mandrake 8. That worked, but I couldn't get my sound card working. I used it for a while and got to like it. Then I got a decent connection so I downloaded the latest version which I had a lot of trouble with.
I pretty much gave up on it until one day last year, out of the blue I received a box full of ubuntu CDs.
I tried one and ws amazed ho much of an improvement it was over previous versions. I've used it as a main OS since then, and even converted a few others too.
The forums are amazing. Without them ubuntu wouldn't be half what it is now.

opengswede
04-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Have missed this thread, even though I'm a Linux fan.
Anyways, I agree with most points made, there is one HUGE advantage with Linux and that is safety. Windows, even the XP SP2 starts with all possible connections open and that, in my opinion is a big nono. In order to get windows remotely safe, you need to install third party firewalls and quickly. This is less needed in Linux, but recommended, if someone gets in they can wreck havock due to the scriptability of the system.

I use both systems for various reasons, one being that most of my employers documents are Word documents (even though I keep arguing that I refuse to read them). I know Open Office can read and write to older versions of .doc format, but not nicely...
If you feel just slightly comfortable with Linux (whichever flavour you're using) a Gentoo installation gives you core understanding of the system. I found this really rewarding to install, I get a kernel that is optimized and not bloated, I get all packages compiled for my processor (with the flags it supports), etc.

Another funny thing, if you like the multiple IM thingy. Look into KDE. THey have Kopete (multi-protocol IM), KMail (email client) and KOrganizer (calendar system). These all use the same underlying dtabase for contacs, which means you share user lists in all programs, very neat if you need to email someone about a meeting from your calendar, or email someone offline from your IM, if you understand what I'm saying.
Another good point, if you're programming is KDeveloper, probably the best developer environment around (for anything but C#).

need to stop ranting...

Yes, almost forgot: servers. It's really easy to set up almost anything you want (webserver, mailserver, ftp, sftp, whatever, SAMBA (for interaction with your windows comps in the house-hold).

-.erik

crazybillybob
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
What Linux will Run on A VIA Edan C3 Proccessor (Mini ITX board EPIA MII1200)?

Just kicking the Idea Around still.

Crazybillybob

OvRiDe
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I think just about any distro would be just fine on that. Fedora and Debian are probably the leaders when it comes to support, just because there are tons of howtos, and questions posted by those users.

Check out this site. http://epialinux.org. This section here (http://epialinux.org/files/epia_howto/ar01s01.html) caught my eye.

Good luck with it..

onelegout
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
There's so much you can do with it in regards to eye candy. Check out 3d desktop...

First thing you have to do (if you haven't already) is enable the extra repositories and download all the good stuff. The easy way is to use automatix, but you don't have to. Plenty of advice on the forums.
Check out the gallery (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/) to see screenshots and what can be acheived.

Here's mine:
http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=2113&original=1
Apparently automatix does not work on AMD64 versions :(
Your desktop looks AWESOME! How do you do that?
I looked into it and found that it uses KDE instead of gnome is that right?
Could you point me in the right direction as to how to change to kde?
(I may have got completely the wrong idea here! I have realised that ive got a LOT to learn haha!)
Thanks!
H

DaveW
04-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Nothing... Nothing at all... :rolleyes:
Just the usual the usual English - Scottish friendly banter...

(if you're offended I'll delete it)

Not offended at all, i'm an easy going guy. I thought you were in the Philipines? Originally from England?

-Dave

xmastree
04-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Your desktop looks AWESOME! How do you do that?
Well the wallpaper is a hubble telescope shot, from NASA/ESA (http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/archive/wallpaper/), anyone can do that.
Bottom left is a desklet to control rhythmbox (sound player) Bottom right, more desklets to monitor the cpu/network. Along the top is the usual taskbar but i made it transparent. The icons are launchers.

I looked into it and found that it uses KDE instead of gnome is that right?
Could you point me in the right direction as to how to change to kde?What uses kde? I use gnome, as does the default ubuntu install. There's also kubuntu, which defaults to kde.

The geeky way would be to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install kde but I would probably use synaptic instead. Have you managed to mount your windows partition yet? And play MP3s? Those are the two things most new users ask about.
The MP3 thing is purely about licencing. They don't include the codec inthe distribution package.
http://www.ubuntuguide.org/ contains a lot of useful information, well laid out. it's written for the older version but most of it is still relevant.

If you like terminals, check this (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/ubuntu/Screenshot.jpg) out. On the right, a standard terminal with a nice background. ;) On the left is tilda. Transparent and borderless.

xmastree
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally from England?Yep. Burnley, moved to Livingston in 85, then here in 99.

DaveW
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Yep. Burnley, moved to Livingston in 85, then here in 99.

The auld enemy!

Seriously, the England/Scotland rivalary is just a bit of banter. When an Englishman insults a Scot, it's banter, and likewise; should an outsider stick his nose in, well he's just messed with the both of us. ;)

Anyone who takes it more seriously than that's just a racist.

-Dave

archmaille
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Have missed this thread, even though I'm a Linux fan.
Anyways, I agree with most points made, there is one HUGE advantage with Linux and that is safety. Windows, even the XP SP2 starts with all possible connections open and that, in my opinion is a big nono. In order to get windows remotely safe, you need to install third party firewalls and quickly. This is less needed in Linux, but recommended, if someone gets in they can wreck havock due to the scriptability of the system.

That's why I have an external box with Linux for a firewall :D

Another funny thing, if you like the multiple IM thingy. Look into KDE. THey have Kopete

Heck yeah! I hate Gaim... it just... I dunno something about it is just not what I like, doesn't work well for me, and the tabs I always lose my conversations if I've got more than 3 at once I never know when someone new has IM'd me. But Kopete is awesome! If you like Unbunto try out Kunbuntu (atleast I think that's what it is) same thing, atleast same company just KDE instead of Gnome.

opengswede
04-07-2006, 05:04 AM
What Linux will Run on A VIA Edan C3 Proccessor (Mini ITX board EPIA MII1200)?

Just kicking the Idea Around still.

Crazybillybob

Indeed it will. more efficiently than Windows too!!!
epialinux.org www.viaforum.com www.epiawiki.org (that might die soon, but have a gentoo section). Fedora has native support for the via boards nowadays. but gentoo is better if performance is important, such as for the Eden cpu, where temp can be a problem. I'm using a Via C3 M9000 myself. Whach out for the DRM problem though, it's specified as a bug, turn off longhaul support in the kernel will take care of that.

Have fun.

That's why I have an external box with Linux for a firewall
wise. which firewall do you use. I'm using arno-iptables which is fine, but is not very user friendly?

-.erik

xmastree
04-07-2006, 05:12 AM
www.viaforum.com www.epiawiki.org (that might die soon, but have a gentoo section)."Notice: This domain name expired on 03/29/06 and is pending renewal or deletion" :rolleyes:

And that viaforum just seems to be pages of ads... :?

opengswede
04-07-2006, 05:17 AM
"Notice: This domain name expired on 03/29/06 and is pending renewal or deletion" :rolleyes:

And that viaforum just seems to be pages of ads... :?

/banging head on desk/
should actually check that i remember stuff correctly before posting...

it should be: www.viaarena.com
and apparently, the domain now closed, too bad it was a pretty good place for those using gentoo and via epia boards. epialinux.org is the best place now then...:redface:

archmaille
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM
wise. which firewall do you use. I'm using arno-iptables which is fine, but is not very user friendly?

I use Smoothwall, I like it and the community is big so there is almost always someone who can help you if you need it.

onelegout
04-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Well it seems that I have entered dependency hell.
I cant seem to install anything without having to install 30 more things. It mostly seems to be development apps and perl modules. Is there no easy way to install eveything?
Cheers
H

OvRiDe
04-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Your using apt right?... I thought apt-get reconciled, downloaded, and installed dependency.. but its been a while since I used it on a debian based system.

xmastree
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Well it seems that I have entered dependency hell.
I cant seem to install anything without having to install 30 more things. It mostly seems to be development apps and perl modules. Is there no easy way to install eveything?
Yeah, use synaptic. You need to instal 30 more things, but that should all happen automatically. Select the app you want and it will advise you of the additional packages. Just say ok and it will do it all for you. 8)

p9l28a
04-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Ubuntu is cool and easy to use, install, download programs almost one command allowd you to do that ;=)

Omega
04-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I am running RedHat9 with the K Desktop enviroment on my second rig (Athlon K6, 700MHz, ATi Rage2d, etc) And while if looks pretty, you won't really learn linux.

I am trying to, however, get Slackware 10.2 for that rig, and alsy trying to get my other 10gb HDD back for a RAID config.

onelegout
04-27-2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, use synaptic. You need to instal 30 more things, but that should all happen automatically. Select the app you want and it will advise you of the additional packages. Just say ok and it will do it all for you. 8)
HUaha! well I did it all by hand just before my laptop died just before easter! I have a new one now so I might install ubuntu on it again and give it a second try! :)

xmastree
04-27-2006, 03:38 AM
It's real easy. The main thing is to enable the extra repositories and do apt-get update.
This is because, for some whacky legal reasons (like MP3 codecs being illegal in the USA) ubuntu doesn't ship with them. The onus is on the end user not to be naughty by installing them. Yeah, Right.
So, the repositories containing them (and tons of other good stuff) are disabled by default, but remove a few comments from a certain file and it's all available.

onelegout
05-08-2006, 09:59 AM
It's real easy. The main thing is to enable the extra repositories and do apt-get update.
This is because, for some whacky legal reasons (like MP3 codecs being illegal in the USA) ubuntu doesn't ship with them. The onus is on the end user not to be naughty by installing them. Yeah, Right.
So, the repositories containing them (and tons of other good stuff) are disabled by default, but remove a few comments from a certain file and it's all available.
Can you be more specific? Im a doofus :D
Also, where can I find out how to turn my normal ubuntu desktop into something awesome like yours? Are there any programs which would help me? or tutorials?
eek! I feel like a small fish in a large pond!
Cheers
H

Edit: now I feel like a slightly fatter fish :D
Check it out:
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/7384/screenshot4em.jpg

xmastree
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Can you be more specific? Im a doofus :D
About the repos,
http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#repositories
is a good place to start. That guide was written for the older version, but most of it is still relevant.

Check it out:
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/7384/screenshot4em.jpgLooking good! I see you found gdesklets. :D

p9l28a
05-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Some info what i think about unbuntu:)

Ubuntu is very cool and easy to use linux. They are many pages/forums that are always going to help. You can burn ubuntu on 1 cd , this is the best linux for me .( i use Mandarive 2006, Suse, Slackware).. Use UBUNTU :P (5.10) i dont know why im posting this but thos are pluses of linux!

onelegout
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the help! Ive enabled the extra repositories and got everything I need, Ive also just got tilda and it's great! Ive set it to run at startup as well as gdesklets so now Im all set up and ready to go :D
And yes, Ubuntu is fantastic - I havn't had one real problem so far! I also love the cpu clock speed scaling that it uses; im gaining litteraly hours of battery life now! thanks for your help :)
H

xmastree
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the help! Ive enabled the extra repositories and got everything I needYou think so? ;)

Tried 3ddeskto yet? That's pretty neat for impressing people... :D

onelegout
05-09-2006, 03:59 AM
You think so? ;)

Tried 3ddeskto yet? That's pretty neat for impressing people... :D
Im going to work on getting that later today :D

onelegout
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Im in a REALY good mood now; I upgraded to dapper, and my x-server stopped working! BUT I managed to fix it without even looking it up on the net:D I stopped gnome, then copied my backed up xorg.conf file over my current xorg.conf file and restarted x and it worked first time :D I feel like a REAL geek now haha

synapz
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I have installed the linux for my AMD 64 but had toi change the driver of my nvidia 7700gt to vesa instaead of nv for it to work, now im wondering is it possible to install my AOL DSL on Linux?

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

I found this but dont understand it

any help would be apreciated.

opengswede
05-16-2006, 04:27 AM
I have installed the linux for my AMD 64 but had toi change the driver of my nvidia 7700gt to vesa instaead of nv for it to work, now im wondering is it possible to install my AOL DSL on Linux?

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

I found this but dont understand it

any help would be apreciated.

first, which flavour of Linux are you using? Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora?
I have no experience with AOL, not being an american I don't know if they do things their own way, differently from everybody else (hopefully not). It also looks like the tutorial you found uses an external DSL, do you have that too?
Peng, as far as i can see, is a ppp/cable dialer, which should be included in most modern distributions already, see for instance: this (http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7909082870.html).
This means that you shouldn't have to install it, but rather find the installed one.

hope that helps a bit.

-.erik

synapz
05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
its Ubuntu, i installed it yesterday and its the first time i have ever used linux
. I am using a external modem, BT Voyager 100 to be precise. Ill read that now

opengswede
05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
its Ubuntu, i installed it yesterday and its the first time i have ever used linux
. I am using a external modem, BT Voyager 100 to be precise. Ill read that now

did some digging for you:
first:
this (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=82912)
which doesn't make linux and AOL sound like a brilliant solution.
second:
this (http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91884&highlight=pppoe+aol)
which can give you something.

i gotta run get some coffee.
hope those links get you somewhere.
oh, also. i googled for "ubuntu BT voyager 100 aol" and got lots of hits, some are hard to get and require quite a bit of knowledge others are more to the point. Hope you get your eth0 up and running.
Second also, I have not used Ubuntu so I'm thinking someone else might know more about included apps / which packages to apt-get to get pppd to work, epecially which flavour of pppd to get.

-.erik

fiendskull9
05-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Ubuntu is cool and easy to use, install, download programs almost one command allowd you to do that ;=)

i hope youve realized this by the time ive posted this, just let me know....

there are, lets pick a plausible number, say 240 other distros out there that do the EXACT SAME THING :p

its just aptitude (full name for the apt shortened word)

-clay

niko7209
05-31-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi!
What version of linux would be best for the dual-p3 system (abit vp6) i found in the garbage?

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2812
^shown there^

basically i want to run this machine on my lan (the hub of which will be mounted in this case as well) as a dedicated server for games like quake 3 and jedi academy. will these games run on linux? i know absolutely nothing about linux, but do NOT want to pay to put windows on a machine i found in the garbage =D!

public_eyesore
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
gentoo is always the best, if you're willing to spend six days installing.