PDA

View Full Version : Psu - 700-800w

SXRguyinMA
11-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Newer, modular is a must, the less expensive the better as this is going into a secret charity build that's upcoming. Some potential sponsors have fallen through, so I'm trying to scrounge up components and supplies on the cheap. Let me know what you've got!

also, need a HDD, sata, 500GB and up, on the cheap as well :D

and a copy of win 7 home on the cheap as well, 32 or 64 bit

Diamon
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
If it's a charity project and you're gonna pay for everything yourself I'd just throw together some old parts and install Ubuntu on it. 800W is a lot to just give away. Unless you have some secret, preferably evil, goal.

SXRguyinMA
11-28-2010, 03:05 PM
no secret goals lol. I want win 7 and somewhere around a 700w psu because whoever ends up getting this I don't want them to have issues. whoever gets it most likely won't have any idea what ubuntu is lol

Blibbax
11-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Serious suggestion: Check your local refuse centre. Mine often keeps things like PCs, bicycles and domestic appliances which people have assumed to be entirely broken on the side, and will sell them for a fiver or so.

Also, find a local business (friend of a friend etc.) kicking out a load of 2 year old Dells. They'd probably give you one for free, this is how I got my Ubuntu box a couple of years ago :)

x88x
11-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I actually have a 700W I might be willing to donate...as long as you don't mind the PCIe 12V rail not working... What's the charity?

SXRguyinMA
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
its going to be for the HDSA (Huntington's Disease Society of Ameria). My wife's best friend's mom died from it, and I'm hoping this can help raise awareness.

I don't know what VGA card is going to be in it yet, I've got emails out to Gigabyte, XFX and a few others and I'm waiting on a response. If I can't get sponsored with one, I might toss my 5850 in it and pick up a new 6870 for myself :D