PDA

View Full Version : Browser choice

Diamon
12-12-2010, 02:24 PM
So I just downloaded the latest Firefox beta (7) and I've gotta say it's pretty slick.

Which browser are you using?

billygoat333
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I am weird, but I prefer chrome on my laptop and firefox on my desktop.

seems chrome runs better on windows 7 and the hardware I have on my lappy.

PauL
12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Internet Explorer. The only other browsering I would be willing to use is Firefox, otherwise IE is the only way for me :)

slaveofconvention
12-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I stick with IE mainly because it's already there and like it or not, it just works. Add to that the fact that the majority of websites are designed FOR IE and then tested with other browsers and yeah, IE for me (unless I'm testing a website I just built lol then I use Chrome, FF, Opera and Safari - for about 30 seconds each before reloading IE)

Lothair
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Which browser are you using?

The only real differences I see is that FF and Chrome run quicker varying person to person. For me it's Chrome. But that's not why I use it. I like that each tab runs as a separate process and I like how they've saved space by putting things up into the title bar? Whatever thats called.

msmrx57
12-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Opera

nevermind1534
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Firefox

d_stilgar
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm all firefox, but I have it tweaked so it acts like an older version. It lends itself to the way I browse a little better.

Trace
12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Used to be firefox, tends to be chrome more now

Lothair
12-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Does IE still have that ridiculous install process that then asks you to reboot your PC afterwards? I tried upgrading IE back about a year or so ago and I went through that. Irritated me enough that I just decided to use FF to spite them. It was seriously almost as bad as Apple with iTunes. Just install the dang thing quickly and minimally, yeesh.

FuzzyPlushroom
12-15-2010, 02:12 AM
I usually use Firefox, but I voted 'Other' because it wasn't multiple-choice and I run Opera fairly often.

Yeticorn
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Opera here.

Diamon
12-16-2010, 03:53 AM
So far it's a tie between Firefox and Chrome! Much like it is for me, why can't they just combine them to create an even better browser.

Luthien
12-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Chrome and Firefox tied...makes sense to me. I use both: Chrome for myself and Firefox whenever the school's website demands it.

x88x
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I actually use both Firefox and Chrome. I use Firefox for my general browsing, where I constantly have 30+ tabs open, and I have craptons of addons for a bunch of extra functionality. I use Chrome for Hulu and various other media applications.

Does IE still have that ridiculous install process that then asks you to reboot your PC afterwards?
That's just a Windows thing. Any time anything at all writes to the registry (thankfully getting less and less common) Windows has to reboot. Plus, since IE has historically shared so many common files with WE (Windows Explorer, the file browser) that IE updates would often reach down into the bowels of the OS, far past what you would expect a web browser to do.

So far it's a tie between Firefox and Chrome! Much like it is for me, why can't they just combine them to create an even better browser.
IMO because they're targeted at different audiences. The way I see it is this: Chrome is quick starting, modular, and really aimed at the general user and/or multimedia applications. Firefox is more aimed at the power user. It is slower starting but it is a lot more customizable and handles working with crazy numbers of tabs much better (well, with the correct add-on ;) ).

EDIT:
Forgot to mention...in Linux I also use Arora (stripped down FF branch) for its quick and simple proxy changes independent of FF.

Diamon
12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Yea, you are probably right x88x. I only need to set an hour aside to configure Firefox properly. Got any addon suggestions? ^^

12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
opera

x88x
12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Yea, you are probably right x88x. I only need to set an hour aside to configure Firefox properly. Got any addon suggestions? ^^

Tab Mix Plus, AdBlock Plus, DownThemAll, Web Developer, Firebug, Uppity, FlagFox, NoScript (if you're paranoid like me :P ), Download Status Bar, FireFTP, FoxyProxy, Greasemonkey, IETab (for the occasional thing that actually needs IE).. ..that's all I can think of atm.

billygoat333
12-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I seriously LOVE fireFTP.

farlo
12-17-2010, 10:21 AM
i used to use opera, and i will be trying it again when version 11 fully comes out. but lately its been firefox.

Diamon
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks x88x. Would rep you if the site would let me, apparently I'm repping you suspiciously much as it is :D

Konrad
12-19-2010, 04:37 AM
IE integrates better with Microsoft VB and VC studios. At least it seems that way; FF just bugs out. Chrome actually seems slower to me, unless all you do is lots of googling and youtube stuff.

DynamoNED
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
A vast majority of my browsing happens in Firefox, with Chrome & IE used only for compatibility reasons. I've got my 'fox customized to the hilt, and I stick with it mostly out of habit. I like Chrome, but it's just a little austere for me. IE, however, only stays on my machine because I am a digital pack rat.

AmEv
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
FF, w/ AB+.

dr.walrus
12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I have no idea how you can be a modern web developer without FF and a million add-ons

Twigsoffury
02-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Chrome 100%

Munty
02-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm having a nightmare with browsers lately so this is good timing for this thread to reappear :D IE seems to remain fairly unchanged since it's infacy so I started using Chrome a good while back. I like the bookmark bar and multiple tabs (which I'm sure all others do by now too) but the build seems VERY unstable and every so often it simply stops working for no reason and forces me to search for a fix to a problem with no source...

Anyway I had another one last night which started freezing up the client after about 5 seconds and then nothing would work. Imagine, my homepage is google and if I load chrome and do nothing the text cursor flashes as normal then stops. If I then closed chrome it still had the main browser process running and I had to kill it before it would reload. Registry mechanic did a quick check and after a fix it worked again... Bear in mind I'd done nothing prior to the problem manifesting itself, my registry simply self-destructed I guess :s

After I had that fixed it worked ok but every time I tried to use a facebook game it crashed out of chrome. Lots of googling again found others with the same problem but no real solutions. Updated my shockwave/flash whatever (despite the fact it had been up-to-date already prior to the trouble) and it still doesn't work right but IE now runs the games ok (whereas that had also been failing to correctly disply the game clients before, though not crashing)

What with IE sucking and Chrome still not fixed I downloaded Firefox instead so I'm using that now :p All of this is after numerous other problems with Chrome which are seemingly quite common with it's users so much as it's served me well it's in the trash now! I don't have time to mess around with unreliable clients...

Firefox, until it goes wrong ;)

Konrad
02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
You can always run Live CD sorts of browsers, theoretically independent of your OS.

Get all the Windows Updates, reinstall your browser, run a malware/virus scan, confirm your firewall doesn't have rules/exceptions you don't recognize. If it's still broke then maybe your Windows is sick and it's just time to do a clean OS install.

EvaRoy
05-10-2011, 03:17 AM
I would probably go with Google Chrome because it is a minimalist browser which starts up swiftly.