PDA

View Full Version : Radioactive

jsb666
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Right this idea just popped into my head so though i would run it past you guys see what you think or if you can come up with anythings that might help me :)

I dont know if this has been done before but im guessing it will have been most things have been done by now.

Anyway onto my idea i was thinking about making a case out of a barrel and making it look like radioactive waste is pouring down the side of the barrel and a some radioactive stickers on the side or something like that. also i was thinking about maybe putting a window in the barrel with everything UV green inside the case so what you think?

All comments welcome, if you think it sucks then say so. if you think its cool then say so. if you think its really old and been done a thousand times then say so coz im gunna build it anyway because i think it will look cool :p

tybrenis
04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I have never seen or even heard of a case like that, sounds to me like a very original idea! People have done radioactive themes before, but never like that! I think that it would be really cool for you to do a mod like that, we would all love to see a worklog wants you start, too!

Nagoshi
04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I suggest a front intake with a green LED luminated fan, with a biohazard grill :) Bright green watercooling would add an even more radioactive look, if you can manage to light your coolant so it can be a bright radioactive green.

I say it is a really nice idea dude, I hope you will do it! I dont think theres much people that has modded a barrel so it can become a ''radioactive computer'' and I find it really original!!

archmaille
04-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm with Nagoshi with the green back-lit intake and exhaust fan setup with the radioactive fan cover! I think you should do that instead of putting radioactive stickers on it.

Some questions for ya:
what kind of barrel? like a real 50 gal drum? or a 5 gallon? or homemade?
motherboard placement?
are you to have the barrel sitting "upright" or lay in on its side and have little legs that keep it from rolling around?

The idea sounds cool! You might even look into getting some paint that will glow in the dark a fluorescent green and using black lights to make the thing glow all the time!

Nagoshi
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
You could place it on its side with little legs holding it at a place, that way it would be easier to place the motherboard than if it is kept ''upright''

Unless you insert the motherboard in the case without any outside apparent plugs, and with all the integrated cabling? I dont know if you understand what I mean but Ill re-explain it :

You could make your motherboard stand in the barrel with your video card and other pieces, but without actually making holes to the outside of the barrel for your VGA card for example. Like, putting everything inside the case, and plugging the stuff inside the case too. That way the radioacrive barrel would look way more real, as it wont have any large square holes in it. You would only have to make a hole big enough to let you enter all the cabling. Thus if you are going for this solution, you are going to need more than one blowhole, since the PSU will be more likely inside the barrel too.

***NOTE about the PSU :
You could make a directer airflow from the PSU fan to the outside by using some kind of pipe of plastic or styrofoam or anything flexible (or solid if you are up to it) to direct your PSU fan to the outside direcly. You could use a green-lighted fan to exhaust your PSU air to the outside of the case too (Im not tellin you to change your PSU fan, but to use another fan to take the psu already blown air to the outside with more force).

I agree with the glowing green UV paint :D

Omega
04-08-2006, 06:53 PM
lots of green, and maybe try to make the barrell look rusted, with holes, then make the "radioactive waste" pour out of the holes.

whatever you do, good luck and happy modding.

jsb666
04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey guys thanks for such positive feedback just what i have come to expect from this forum. fast replys with great and useful ideas and tips :) as for all the questions you asked i will answer tomorrow just got home now and going to sleep way to tired to think. when posted the idea it was literally 5 minutes old so have not really thought indepth about anything yet as i said i will do so tomorrow. just wanted to say thanks for such fast usefull replys

xmastree
04-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm sure I've seen a computer in a coke can or similar. If you can find that you might get some ides.

DaveW
04-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey, seeing as how you're in the UK, you could order one of these cases (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=337811) to mod it out off...expensive, but you'd be saving a lot of work for yourself; you've now got a case the right shape with a mobo tray etc. Built in.

Worth a look at least.

-Dave

jsb666
04-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Right here we go im actually awake now so going to answer some questions.

what kind of barrel? like a real 50 gal drum? or a 5 gallon? or homemade?
I will buy the barrel as for size i have not got a clue not thought indepth about the idea yet i will look into what size will be best l8r today :)

are you to have the barrel sitting "upright" or lay in on its side and have little legs that keep it from rolling around?

Well my original idea was upright i think that would look better and also would fit into my room better dont think i could fit a barrel on its side in here its really small.

The idea sounds cool! You might even look into getting some paint that will glow in the dark a fluorescent green and using black lights to make the thing glow all the time!
Love the idea definitely going to do that:D

Unless you insert the motherboard in the case without any outside apparent plugs, and with all the integrated cabling?
I know exactly what you mean and yes i will more than likely do that will keep the outside of the case looking clean and more like a barrel.

You could make a directer airflow from the PSU fan to the outside by using some kind of pipe of plastic or styrofoam or anything flexible (or solid if you are up to it) to direct your PSU fan to the outside direcly. You could use a green-lighted fan to exhaust your PSU air to the outside of the case too (Im not tellin you to change your PSU fan, but to use another fan to take the psu already blown air to the outside with more force).

will do that also.

lots of green, and maybe try to make the barrell look rusted, with holes, then make the "radioactive waste" pour out of the holes.
Nice idea Omega i think that will look good also :)

xmastree
04-09-2006, 08:26 AM
How about a Jerry can? It's already roughly the right shape.

http://www.nomanslandmilitaria.com/6004%20jerry%20can0004.jpg

jsb666
04-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice idea but not really the look i was going for i really like the idea of a barrel as for it being the right shape well the best part of modding is putting things in things that are the wrong shape makes it most challenging and interesting.

Nagoshi
04-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey, seeing as how you're in the UK, you could order one of these cases (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=337811) to mod it out off...expensive, but you'd be saving a lot of work for yourself; you've now got a case the right shape with a mobo tray etc. Built in.

Worth a look at least.

-Dave

Use the case he proposed.. I think it would be the perfect case for your modding.

archmaille
04-09-2006, 02:22 PM
well dang, that saves a lot of work to start with that case... I've seen those before I had just forgotten about it. If you want authentic "barrel" look you've got quite a bit of modding to do still, but I think the project would be a fun one!

jsb666
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Use the case he proposed.. I think it would be the perfect case for your modding.
Sorry Dave forgot to answer you :) i would use that if i could afford that but i cant, im an unemployed teenager and that is way out of my price range :(

Nagoshi
04-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, if we determinate that you will have to get the barrel, buy all the metal and plexi you are going to need for the modding, shape it, work it, make all the holes, everything, I think the price is worth it.

You could get a job too, it would help you pay all the pieces you will need.

Rankenphile
04-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, are you planning on modelling this after the explosive barrels that have become standard fare in jsut about every first person shooter since Doom? If so, that's a very very clever idea.

jsb666
04-10-2006, 08:07 AM
You could get a job too, it would help you pay all the pieces you will need.

Im getting a Job soon when my sister goes to uni im stealing her job working at the local chinese, and i have had jobs in the past but some thing always manages to go wrong and i end up losing my job, no not fired e.g my last job my employer sold the restaurante i was working and at moved country. I would of got a job sooner but i can only get ones on a night like working in restaurantes because do archery for yorkshire and shoot at an international level so have to train and shoot every day and i am away most weekends at tourniments meaning i could not get a weekend job and then on top of that there is school.

sorry for such the long reply but i dont want anyone to get the idea that i dont have a job because im lazy.

Just out of curiosity, are you planning on modelling this after the explosive barrels that have become standard fare in jsut about every first person shooter since Doom? If so, that's a very very clever idea.

That was not really where the idea came from but sorta like that yes.

archmaille
04-10-2006, 09:27 AM
im stealing her job working at the local chinese

That's actually kind of ironic! I'm losing my job at a local Chinese Restaurant for blogging about the place :P Apparently my blog has really good link quality and when I said I was working at the place and was talking about how crazy some of the employees were, and that it was stupid that they put rice back after it's been out on peoples tables also calling them cheap for doing so the owner found my blog through the all seeing oracle (Google) and didn't like what I said so now I'm being fired!!

sorry for the thread hijack, I just found it kinda crazy that you were going to work for a Chinese place.

jsb666
04-10-2006, 09:58 AM
sorry for the thread hijack

And so you should be, only joking mate im not botherd amazing what you can find on the internet now int it :)

Ohtarnehtar
04-17-2006, 05:35 PM
I say get the 50 gallon drum, take a sledgehammer, and beat it up a bit, especially on one side... but make sure it still stands, and then make it look rusted with a few holes, with the radioactive junk coming out..

this may be way too hard, but if you watercooled it, then you could build a hollow plexi case surrounding where the leak would be and running down like a leak to a pool on the ground, put green lights in the back, and run the water through there...... that would be awsome. tell me if u dont understand, and ill try to clarify

jsb666
04-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I think i understand where you are coming from sounds like a good idea just waiting for my job at the at the local chinese before i can afford the mod then im going to get started i might get some sketchs drawn in the mean time.

CanaBalistic
04-18-2006, 05:22 PM
nice idea jsb,

first i would start with a pony drum, its a 15 gal metal drum with a standard bung (can you say air intake?) you might want to look for a drum with an auxillary bung in the side.
I found one example here
http://thomasregister.com/olc/SmartCat.aspx?az=73394488&type=details&ptno=101504 i think a 10gal wouldnt be big enough so i sugjest a 15. they also have 30gal if you want somthing that big in your room.

I'd also get a drum with a clamped lid. you could discard the top and incert a piece of plexi extremly easy. Now i used to work with drums like this and if you scratch the paint a bit and set it out in the rain for a week it should be nice and rusty. you could drill some vent holes in the bottom for more ventillation. The abient temp of a drum is rather cold so i dont think you'd need many fans, just enough to move the air around inside.

another idea for the radioactive green goo would be to paint the entire inside with flouescent paint.

Somthing else to think about would be an incert piece of wood or somthing thats attached to the computer and components so you can easily remove the innerds without tools and would stop your equipment from rattling around on the inside and shorting out.

just some ideas...

OvRiDe
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I just saw this on Bit Tech.. reminded me of this thread, so I thought you might like to check it out...

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/scan_isotope_sli/fp_img.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/04/28/scan_isotope_sli/1.html

DaveW
04-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I think that's the same case i linked to earlier.

They're maddly expensive and don't fit a standard PSU unfortunately.

-Dave