PDA

View Full Version : Angle Grinders

xmastree
04-09-2006, 01:52 AM
I'm working on this mod involving an old case. I have a lot of cutting to do on the rear panel. I have a dremel type thing, but it's rather underpowered and making a two inch cut in this case will consume one cutting disc.

So, would an angle grinder be the way forward? or would it be too fierce? The material is 1.5mm thick.

Here's what I intend to cut:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/386/backmarked.jpg

The critical cuts are already made (with the dremelly thing), so absolute acuracy isn't that important.

I've used an angle grinder before, but not often... I expect I'll get it 'somewhere near' then finish off with a decent half-round file.

DaveW
04-09-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm having to cut similar; i find that diamond reinforced cutting disks last forever but eventually get worn smooth instead of worn away, and thus they take ages for every cut, maybe 5 mins per 4cm of cutting.

Personally, i'm thinking of trying to get a high quality metal blade for my jigsaw, instead of getting a whole new tool. I'll let you know how that works out.

-Dave

xmastree
04-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm having to cut similar;Well I asked some friends on a mailing list, most of whom swear by angle grinders and they reckon that it's too thin. So, it's back to plan a, the little man.
Labour is cheap out here, so I'm sure it'll not cost much to have it done. If I had a jigsaw, that would probably be the best option.

DaveW
04-09-2006, 06:44 PM
So, it's back to plan a, the little man.

What little man? I'll have you know i'm 6 foot tall.

Anyway, i went downstairs and tested out that Jigsaw bit for you-the peice i used was of 'dubious' quality, but it cut easy as hell. I got an orbital sander and a 350 Watt jigsaw for £15 from B&Q, so a jigsaw isn't an expensive peice of kit. I've actually got two over here.

I'm going the 'World Famous Bill's Tool Store' tommorow morning for a reliable-quality jigsaw peice and a wire brush for my drill, to clean up the edges. I'll ask the guys in the shop if they have any recommendations for how to cut the metal, and i'll let you know what they say.

-Dave

xmastree
04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
What little man? I'll have you know i'm 6 foot tall.
The one I mentioned here (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25364&postcount=18)

Cevinzol
04-10-2006, 05:01 AM
I don't think a grinder would work. Even though its thin you have a lot to grind off. You'd either need a course disk - which could catch and bend the metal or use finer grit wheel which would take a longer time.

You could drill a series of holes around the perimeter and then grind/sand/file the perferations left behind. A Whitney punch (http://roperwhitney.com/punching/2-45.cfm) would be faster than drilling they go for about $55.00 US. Harbor freight sells Cinese versions cheaper. Under 10 for the JR and 30 for the xx.

If you use a jig saw try to brace your work. Use some scrap wood and clamp the case between a couple pieces over the edge of a work table. The reason being, if the blade gets jammed in the cut the motor will continue pushing up and down bending the metal. Support will reduce this risk. And wear hearing protection.

crazybillybob
04-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I've used an angle grinder to rather thin sheet metal, with ok results. You have to get a metal cutoff wheel Don't try to use a grinding wheel (the cutoff are $4 @ lowes or Home despot) (if you watch Harbor freight sells 4 1/2" angle grinders for $9...There not great but they get the job done...and there good for hobby/mod guys that don't use them every day) But your going to have allot of clean up work. If you have a desint Variable speed Jig saw (the varibale speed is the key to nice cuts in metal!!) and a good fine toothed metal Blade (BOSH!! can't recomend them enough, Pricey but worth every penny!). You can do all the cuts shown with minimal clean up. But It can be don with an angle grinder...just will not be pretty.

CrazyBillybob

(check out my R2 Server Work log, allot of the cuts (most) on the feet were made with an angle Grinder or Jig saw....and the feet are made out of old PC cases!)

xmastree
04-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I think I'll look into a nibbler, slow but sure. And quiet.

And please, before suggesting major stores, note than I'm not in the US...

DaveW
04-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Well the guy in the shop couldn't think of a better way to cut than the jigsaw. Although to be honest, he seemed a little clueless.

The one I mentioned here

Oh, that little man. That makes sense now :D

-Dave

jdbnsn
04-11-2006, 04:34 PM
A jigsaw would be my weapon of choice here too if you don't have access to a power nibbler. Angle grinder will chew it pretty well, but as mentioned already the cleanup will be tedious.

xmastree
04-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Well, I got someone else to do it. I'm not sure what he used, but I did need to do some cleaning up afterwards...
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25671&postcount=21

I'll be looking at alternatives when it comes to the window in the top...

DaveW
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Holy Hell, i hope you didn't tip him! You probably couldn't have done a worse job yourself-sure he got the shape right, but it looks like it's been done with a blowtorch or something. No offence, but it looks to me like you ended up with more work with all that mess to clean up...

Don't take that as a dig at you buddy, i respect you and and your skills! Especially your freezer-top-work-shop. :D

-Dave

tybrenis
04-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Holy Hell, i hope you didn't tip him!

Lol, I second that!

crazybillybob
04-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Looks like he did it free hand with a plasma cutter or a small Oxy-Acet Torch....you need an angle grinder just to do the clean up :)

You may want to pick up a course half round as well as a normal half round...just to speed up the proccess.

Goos luck,
Crazybillybob