PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 tone computer

GT40_GearHead
04-09-2006, 02:41 AM
whaazaaa:D THE IDEA: a 4 cilinder car engine (insane)8)
1/5 tone of METAL:D
a mb end thingy's
and some 20 galons of gas:D
:? and A BIG PROBLEM: it is going to be remote control so if you have any idea about how to make remote controls for throtle steering etc pls help mee it is going to respect the MAD MAX theme i am planing this for two years but now i got what i need and i am going to bild the thing:D

archmaille
04-09-2006, 06:11 AM
you may want to check you local laws on such an issue, but I'm sure that anything over 3hp around here you need some sort of professional license to pilot it if it's remote controlled.

Why don't you just build a computer into a car? Wouldn't that make more sense?

DaveW
04-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Remote controls for this sort of thing, you're looking for the Holywood special effects department. To be quite frank, i havn't a clue about this, but they did it on Mythbusters, to find out if you could rip a police cruiser's rear axle out by tying to a pole ala. Rebel without a Cause.

They managed it after a while, but they are the Mythbusters; possibly the best job on the planet. Ex-special effects guys.

-Dave

GT40_GearHead
04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
archmaille: "Why don't you just build a computer into a car? Wouldn't that make more sense?"

I could do that but where is tha fun and WHERE IS THA MODDING?
I'm still open for any ideas on how to make it work, and i know the mithbusters did it but i'm GEARHEAD end i need HELP! :D

jdbnsn
04-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Pretty crazy idea, if you actually got this done I'd like to see it though. As for the controls, I've seen different setups on shows (like discovery etc..) where they were testing different vehicles for who knows what. To be honest with you, I think it's going to be really expensive to do that. They all used things like hydraulic levers to manipulate throttle arms and brake fluid compression. Since vehicles are not yet made with digital translation of controls it's going to be tough to just plug in to the car and operate it. I also believe it is illegal to operate remote vehicles that big (I don't know about private property). If you have deep pockets then I would use a setup just like used on model cars and airplanes, but much bigger. Large strong servos, hydaulic arms, radio control transmitter and reciever.

OvRiDe
04-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Sounds like something from the D.A.R.P.A. challenge (http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/) to me...

GT40_GearHead
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Sounds like something from the D.A.R.P.A. challenge (http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/) to me...
come to think of it.... you're right! i did some searching but i did not found nothing about vibrations (big problem) ANY IDEAS
And a Q?; do you think i should transfere me self to the "Project Worklogs" ?
(a nother crazy idea:I will be doing a flamed exaust and i'm going to try to configure the computer to register engine parameters)
PS: do you think it would be a good idea to use the engine intake for airflow(to suck air from the CPU heatsink) ?

GT40_GearHead
04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I got a confesion to make:rolleyes: : after starting tha build I realized that it will be TO MUCH FUN:D not to ride it so no more computer in it, no more remote control, it will have... GEARHEAD control (LOL) promise to show it to you guys if you wana!(when it's ready)
CRAP..., now I need a case "Back to work PUNK":D