PDA

View Full Version : in trouble! (again)

niko7209
04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
hey again, y'all
i recently replaced my ABIT AV8 motherboard with a shiny new ASUS AV8-SLI. Everything was going fine, and my new radeon x850xt was working splendidly. BUT THEN my friend came over and installed Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on my machine. I'll admit I was drunk and may have attempted to overclock using the AI booster that came with the asus mobo, but it never reached speeds the chip had not reached before (~2.6ghz, athlon 64 4000+). SO while my recollection of the events is somewhat foggy, I know that i received a blue screen of death somewhere in the installation process of oblivion (dumping physical memory, etc). and NOW the ready light on the mobo does not light up, even when connected to power, and the system does not boot at all. I have tried clearing the CMOS/BIOS memory and rebooting, to no avail. My question is this: is my brand new motherboard really dead? Or is this problem much simpler and i'm overanalyzing? ideas? thoughts? :?

jdbnsn
04-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't say for sure, but it is acting just like my old CPU that I smoked. No boot-up at all and nothing I did seemed to help. Good luck, I hope your situation is different.

Omega
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
you might have overvolted your CPU.

anywho, Asus sucks. They use low-quality capacitors which tend to go bad quick.

i <3 DFI, yo.

niko7209
04-10-2006, 12:11 AM
how can i tell if my chip is fried if i can't turn on the system? are there visual cues, e.g. burning or scarring?

edit: dude i only had this asus motherboard for like a week. can it go bad that quick?

Cevinzol
04-10-2006, 06:04 AM
how can i tell if my chip is fried
You mean your CPU?
have you tried booting with your old M/B?
You say you had an ABIT AV8 (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=175) M/B (which is socket 939) and that you upgraded to an ASUS AV8-SLI. I don't see that model listed on their webpage.
Did you mean an A8N-SLI (http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=0&model=382&modelmenu=1) (or premium or deluxe)? If so then they are the same socket and the old board could check the CPU.

edit: dude i only had this asus motherboard for like a week. can it go bad that quick?

I'll admit I was drunk and may have attempted to overclock
I don't think time had anything to do with this, just BAC (http://www.rupissed.com/).
"Put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard."

archmaille
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
you might have overvolted your CPU.

anywho, Asus sucks. They use low-quality capacitors which tend to go bad quick.

i <3 DFI, yo.

hmmm... I've never had this problem, I mean I've fried motherboards before but I was always doing some pretty hard core overclocking that has the potential of frying any motherboard.

Either your motherboard, processor, or RAM are fried. That's about the only annalysis I can give you overclocking = risk to your system... that's why only a handful of companies hold their warranties even when overclocking (i.e. Corsair, OCZ)

niko7209
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
"Put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard."

rofl. thats why i gotta fix this, so i can play counter-strike:source when i'm wasted.

Rankenphile
04-10-2006, 06:03 PM
See, this is why I'm forming M.A.D.O.

Modders Against Drunken Overclocking.

bartvandenberg
04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
i had the same prob with my asus board. but.. it was my psu that was done. but then after i got a new psu, i "accidentally" put a screwdriver through the chipset fan.

needless to say, i hate asus boards, and i hold abit in the highest of praise. try the abit again.

if the cpu is fried in the asus board, it will purr like a kitten in the abit.:D
(it probably wont, but im sure that didnt need clarifying)

archmaille
04-11-2006, 01:26 AM
See, this is why I'm forming M.A.D.O.

Modders Against Drunken Overclocking.

HAHA!!! oh yeah, I'll so join! You guys have a MADO website yet?

needless to say, i hate asus boards, and i hold abit in the highest of praise. try the abit again.

man you are confused! I'm not saying you have to like Asus if you've got good reason to not like them I understand. But Abit? I have 2 friends that bought Abit boards and had to return them on an RMA before they ever got into their systems. One of them even after getting his new board had the PCI slots die on him after about a week (no overclocking or anything that might cause weird problems just one day there was no connectivity to the PCI devices) I've seen too much go wrong with Abit's to hold any kind of esteem towards them.

justleftlife
04-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah i am pratial to asus because i had a Abit Fry on me taking the chip with it. i had the abit for like a week! lucky for me i know how to talk to the losers at best buy who think they know what they are talking about!

niko7209
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
man you are confused! I'm not saying you have to like Asus if you've got good reason to not like them I understand. But Abit? I have 2 friends that bought Abit boards and had to return them on an RMA before they ever got into their systems. One of them even after getting his new board had the PCI slots die on him after about a week (no overclocking or anything that might cause weird problems just one day there was no connectivity to the PCI devices) I've seen too much go wrong with Abit's to hold any kind of esteem towards them.

I agree dude, the Abit board caused me nothing but headaches and system crashes when I used it.

I'm running out of money, so I'm going to wait a month and then try plugging my cpu (athlon 64 4000+) into the old abit mobo to see whats what. i really hope my cpu isnt dust.

CanaBalistic
04-19-2006, 12:51 AM
how did you clear the bios if it wouldnt boot?

I have an asus mobo with the same AI overclock program. It has a safety built in. when i overclock my cpu to much and i have to kill the power because of a hang or whatever. All i have to do is turn off teh comp for 30 seconds and wait for teh beep. if i dont get a beep i just restart and i get the beep. then after the POST screen it will tell me my overclocking attempt has failed and allows me to enter bios to fix it or to sart with the default settings.

i imagine your mobo is the same way so i say its probly got nothing to do with overclocking .

i do remember my mobo led didnt come on but for the life of me i cant remember if it was my old intel board or my current ati board. i dont remember how i got it to work but i did.

check plugs, swap any spare parts you have and see if that helps

therealjoe
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
how can i tell if my chip is fried
erm usualy if a chip is fried they dont taste that nice lol

only joking erm it will smell all silicony and have burns on it