PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 RAM & Upgrades

chaksq
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Due to some unfortunate circumstances I may be stuck with my iMac G4 as my only working computer for a month or so. I've got the 800mhz 17" model. It only has 256mb of RAM, which is probably it's weak point. I can upgrade it to 1ghz of RAM.

I need two RAM sticks:
-512mb 168-pin DIMM
-512mb 144-pin SO-DIMM

I may also be interested in:
-IDE HD, my current one is only 12gb so I'd like at least 40gb, prefer 100gb or more.
-Airport Card

I'd like to get and upgrade for this as cheaply as possible, since I don't have a lot of money to spare currently. I'm looking for this stuff ASAP.

SXRguyinMA
01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
you can pickup an 80GB refurb drive at microcenter for ~$25

chaksq
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Right, well I'm more concerned about getting the RAM as that has more of an influence on speed. The HD I have is large enough for the OS and programs, all my documents are on removable media anyways.

Luke122
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
It only has 256mb of RAM, which is probably it's weak point. I can upgrade it to 1gb of RAM.

I need two RAM sticks:
-512mb 168-pin DIMM
-512mb 144-pin SO-DIMM

The ram is actually using two different sticks?!

chaksq
01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Bump, noone has old RAM lying around? I'm not kidding when I say this is the only working computer I've got for the moment.

The ram is actually using two different sticks?!
Yea I thought it was weird. The SO-DIMM slot is meant to be user upgradeable and the normal slot is only supposed to be upgraded by an Apple technician. Their support website actually says that opening the system up any further will cause it to overheat, liars I've had this thing completely apart.

Twigsoffury
01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Bump, noone has old RAM lying around? I'm not kidding when I say this is the only working computer I've got for the moment.

Yea I thought it was weird. The SO-DIMM slot is meant to be user upgradeable and the normal slot is only supposed to be upgraded by an Apple technician. Their support website actually says that opening the system up any further will cause it to overheat, liars I've had this thing completely apart.

well dude its apple what do you expect

they usually void your warranty when you crack the side panel off lol.

AmEv
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
OK. Little Googling says you got two SDRAM sticks. One regular sized, one laptop sized.
Unfortunately, the biggest size I've got of SDR is 128MB full-sized.