PDA

View Full Version : Custom Enclosures - ProtoCase

CanaBalistic
01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Hello Forum!

I just had to tell you about a cool company/program i came across while surfing the net. Its called ProtoCase (http://www.protocase.com/index.php) and they manufacture custom electronics enclosures. There is no minimum order so you can create a one off piece. Best of all, they have a sketchup kinda program that you can download and build your model with.

http://www.protocase.com/

I'm pretty sure a couple people here will be taking advantage of this. Including myself once i figure out the program.

-Jaims

Airbozo
01-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I have used their service before. They do a good job, but are a little more pricey than a local company we now use. We were completely satisfied though.

EDIT: It looks like they have updated their design tool too. Nice!

Airbozo
01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Reviving this thread for a new project I am working on. I just submitted a design for a new 2U case to house some HDMI converters. I will take some photo's when I get the case in.

AmEv
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Hmmm... Anyone want a custom musical floppy unit? I can design.

d_stilgar
01-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Hmmm... Anyone want a custom musical floppy unit? I can design.

Actually, yes! You figure out the rest and come back with a price. I'll pay you . . . in a few years when I have the money. But that would be totally awesome!

I have at least one concept that this website might be perfect for.

AmEv
01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Questions first:

How many floppy drives do you want?
What size are the drives?
Do you want room for an AT(X) PSU, or just have 5v(/12v) input?

Anyway, what I was thinking of was, for the common base, 6 vertically-aligned 3-1/2" drives, with a simple 5V plugin. Spot for Arduino Uno USB. Make cable management easy.

Man, we could make a living off of selling these!

d_stilgar
01-18-2013, 03:13 AM
I was thinking maybe 8 drives.

Other than that I don't know a ton about musical floppy units. I just know that I love them.

AmEv
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah, 8 would be better. 6 is just what I used on my project.

Airbozo
01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
BTW: I could probably round up a box full of floppy drives for these kinds of projects. We may have at least a couple dozen that are just sitting around and have been for several years.

AmEv
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
OK. I'm gonna whip up a SKP first. Just so we can get a rough size for in the Protocase.

Airbozo
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
BTW: I am developing a good relationship with these guys right now and I am trying to get some discounts. The problem is, if the prototype I am working on right now goes into full production it is going to be cheaper for me to use my normal metal fab guy. I also know that if we have a solidworks file my local guy will do one off's for a really good price. If you want comparisons, let me know. The guy is a good friend. I didn't go through him for the initial prototype of this case since he didn't have the time to do the design...

d_stilgar
01-19-2013, 04:47 AM
BTW: I am developing a good relationship with these guys right now and I am trying to get some discounts. The problem is, if the prototype I am working on right now goes into full production it is going to be cheaper for me to use my normal metal fab guy. I also know that if we have a solidworks file my local guy will do one off's for a really good price. If you want comparisons, let me know. The guy is a good friend. I didn't go through him for the initial prototype of this case since he didn't have the time to do the design...

I might be interested in that for a concept I have. Would I need to have it in a solidworks file for the quote? Would any other types be alright or just that?