PDA

View Full Version : Celeron D VS Pentium 775?

CanaBalistic
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I have a Pentium 4 775 3Ghz HT and want to upgrade. I want to get a dual core proc but the stores around here are way to expencive. That leaves me with ebay. They have many listings for dual core celerons but at an average price of $150-200 it makes me wonder if its a good idea. Would i get a performace gain with the celeron d over my 3Ghz prescott?

I am looking for somthing in the range of $350. I probly could go to $450 but i dont really want to.

I have roughly $270 on paypal and the option to buy a cool watercooling kit that would soak up all my paypal money. Now i really want to get the watercooling kit because i am doing a case mod and love to get my hands dirty. Aswell the seller of the kit is leaving for china soon and might not come back which means no watercooling kit. The kit itself is cool and is a bargain for the price he is asking. I havent seen another kit with a 360 rad for less than what this guy is asking.

Finishing the case would make me extremly happy but so would a blistering fast computer.

I have untill the 25th of this month to decide if im going to buy the watercooling kit. I can wait another month or two and have an additional $150-200 to buy a new cpu and mobo (if i choose amd) but as far as cpu's go, it has to be a dual core.

Ideas and sugjestions are appriceated!!

Uknowho
04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
here is a dual core 3GHz pentium d for 262 on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116212

if you dont like that you could just look around the site until you see what you like

public_eyesore
04-13-2006, 11:27 PM
im pretty sure that a dual core celeron will not boost any of your speeds, and will probably lower them.

CanaBalistic
04-14-2006, 05:20 AM
How does an athalon 64 (say around 3700) stack up against a pentium d 2.8?

public_eyesore
04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
idk, but a 3800 x2 would kick its butt.

archmaille
04-14-2006, 04:20 PM
How does an athalon 64 (say around 3700) stack up against a pentium d 2.8?

That depends on what you are talking about... Working with any program that is not written for multi threading the Athlon 64 3700+ is going to absolutely destroy the Pentium D 2.8, such as in many games especially older games. If you're talking about multi-tasking, or working with programs that are multi-threaded then the Pentium is going to have a slight advantage because it is dual core. If you're talking about heat problems once again AMD smokes Intel the AMD is going to run a lot cooler.

RangerDanger
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
dude look through websites. Parts are soo much cheaper online. Newegg and Tigerdirect are the 2 most popular.

justleftlife
04-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I have a 3ghz prescott the only proplem is the heat. that all i have seen but i havent tried to bench it yet. I can do alot of muti tasking as far as run a MMO, AIM, a program that lets me run the mmo in a window(the game exits if taken out of full screen) and search the internet with no problem what so ever. the only problem i have is when i run azurus (a bit torrent prog) it takes 80% of the bandwith. but thats not a CPU problem thats just having slow internet.

CanaBalistic
04-15-2006, 06:18 PM
I dont have a credit card. i only have paypal.

I did apply for a credit card and should hear back within the week but im not holding my breath. I have some debt that could affect me getting the card.

Im looking for the best bang for my buck. I allready have an intel compatible system and i could just pop in a new mobo & cpu and off i'd go. but if i choose amd i need the mobo & cpu plus a new heatsink and psu. im unsure of what i want but i dont want to get suckered into a bad setup based on price. I know you guys are smart and i value your input. Thus, why im asking.

Slug Toy
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
i have a couple question that can help us help you.

1) what brand of power supply do you have, and how many watts is it good for?

2) on your current motherboard, what chipset do you have? i dont know for sure, but it looks like anything before the intel 945 chipset doesnt support dual core.

i just want to keep talking here, but i think its probably best if you answer those question first. that will help narrow down the path you can take to get dual core.

so, let us know.

guitar.child
04-16-2006, 08:48 AM
i dont like intel period.

DaveW
04-16-2006, 10:03 AM
i dont like intel period.

I can only warn against being a 'fanboy', it would be much better to take a step back and look at the options without any pre-conceived notions. At the end of the day, if you have a company preference, then that's ok, or if you don't shop with a company because of, say, dodgy business practices in 3rd world countries (anyone hear Nestle?) then i guess that's great, but try to keep an open mind. At the end of the day, the constant battle between Intel and AMD is one of the best thing that's happened to computers in years. It drivs down prices and forces each company to accelerate research; we'd all be fuggered if they ever paired up. The fact is, that intel and AMD are pretty evenly matched, so to to the layman, it doesn't matter what processor you end up buying; you're probably going to get exactly what you pay for either way, unless you watch the maket closely and snap up bargains at the opertune moments.

-Dave

CanaBalistic
04-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Here, here's what ive got. i want to improve my setup

Cana-Balistic's Computer Spec's

Mobo:
Name: Asus P5RD1-V
Chipset: ATi Radeon Xpress 200 (ULI M1573 South)
FSB: 800mhz
Socket: LGA775
Dual-Channel DDR400
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
Video: ATi RADEON X300 Processing Unit
OC Features: AI Proactive - AI NOS - AI NET2

CPU:
Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0 Ghz

Memory
Samsung PC3200 2Gb (4x512)

Grafix:
ATi Saphire X700 256mb Native-PCI-E

Drives:
Maxtor 7200rpm 160Gb
WriteMaster Dual Layer DVD-RW
Floppy

Cooling:
Cooler Master - Hyper 6+ Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Cooler Master - Cool Drive 4
Antec VGA Dual Slot Blower
2x 80mm Green LED Fans
1x 120mm Blue LED Fan
6x 40mm Blue LED Drivebay Fans

Case Mods:
Internal Chasi Painted Flouresent Green
Body Pannels Painted Gloss Black

Oh, its not listed above but i have a Hint PSU pushing 450watts but it has a -5v lead in the 20pin mobo connector. The concept of a -5v lead boggles my mind. There are sevral psu's in the local shops but nothing over 400watts with the minus -5v lead. As you can see i have a lot of fans and junk running so i dont think a 400watt psu would be of any good.

I think the best upgrade would be the processor and motherboard. i want to keep my ram for now but also want to upgrade in the future without having to buy a new mobo. I have plans to buy a new hard drive and want sata2.

I saw a DFI lanparty mobo on ebay for cheap and it had everything i thought i needed in a mobo to allow for all the upgrades i wanted and it was in my price range but the prick wouldnt sell to canada.

Slug Toy
04-16-2006, 11:54 PM
a -5 volt lead? ill tell you what boggles the mind. your motherboard boggles the mind. its a real oddity as far as i can tell.

the official asus specs say it is dual core compatible, so thats a good thing. what throws me for a loop is the fact that it still uses DDR1 memory. very odd.

so you're probably safe to keep everything except the processor. i still dont think the power supply will be a problem either.

so good luck. in my experience, things dont work out the way they're supposed to. lets hope they do for you.

bartvandenberg
04-24-2006, 11:20 PM
why you upgrading your processor anyway? you prob wont see a whole lot/if any performance increase anyway.

(well.. at least not for the money, if you are only gonna spend a couple hundred bucks)

CanaBalistic
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I can allways get more money but if i had more than 5 hun i'd just keep saving untill i had enough for a new computer and that takes a bit of time. Its hard for me to save money for computer parts because there is so much stuff i need (non comp related). I can save about 150-200 in 1 month so i figured thats a decent place to start looking. i'd go about $400 tops i think, maybe a lil more but i want a big performance gain for that price and i know the dual cores are better. so i asked if the celeron would be a good bet but apparently its not and i should continue saving untill i can get somthing decent.

bartvandenberg
04-25-2006, 08:05 PM
you want pentium? a good cpu for 400 tops??/ this is your best bet...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1645071&CatId=2219

only thing is, no heatsink or fan.....but.. worth it to spend a bit extra to get one....

4 mb l2 cache is kickass.......