PDA

View Full Version : Open source USB servo controller

x88x
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Saw this pop up on HaD today, thought it might be of use to someone. Sure, you can do the same with an arduino, but if you want to control some servos directly from the computer, this is the key. :D

Sure, you can buy the same thing for ~$20 or less, but why not build your own! And for probably about $5-6 in components, the price is right. :D

So, open source USB 6-servo controller based on an ATMEGA8. Enjoy. :D
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/25

SXRguyinMA
02-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I saw that too, it's pretty neat :D I've been thinking of modding my Tempest louver top panel to have a micro servo on each flap, rather than one that runs them all. I could do some neat things with that :D

msmrx57
02-05-2011, 03:41 AM
I saw that too, it's pretty neat :D I've been thinking of modding my Tempest louver top panel to have a micro servo on each flap, rather than one that runs them all. I could do some neat things with that :D

Yup. You could make em do the wave.:banana:

x88x
02-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Check out the 'micro' servos on hobbyking.com They have some for as cheap as $1.99 each (plus shipping from Hong Kong, but if you buy a bunch it should still come out a lot cheaper). This is their cheapest one (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9549); $1.99, 1.5kg torque, 0.1s travel time. Should be plenty strong and fast enough to move a louver. :D

Oneslowz28
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Ohhh I might be in for a hand full of those servos and a board.... SoR is a Drupal based site BTW, just something I noticed from the login and online users blocks.

x88x
02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Those specific servos are backordered atm, but they have a few others in the $2.50-$3 range. Still cheaper than any other servos I've seen anywhere else.

Crimson13
02-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Hmm this has some interesting potential. Though I would have to change the orientation of the usb port, the straight up thing just bugs me.