PDA

View Full Version : Integration Project

DaveW
04-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Worklog Time!

This is just a ‘started worklog’ to let everyone know where this project is going. As you probably know by now, the plan is to integrate the computers and electronics into my room; so that pretty much whatever I decide I want to do, I can do, whether it be listen to my music in both rooms at once, display my download stats on my TV in my bedroom, listen to my music in the shower-whatever. So this isn’t as much about the modding of the PC’s but the modding of the surroundings for the PC’s. This project will probably eventually be a ludicrous amount of hardware hacks; I’m planning to a fair deal of USB interfacing to help manage all the connections.

I’ll have one desk, and I want to be able to control most of the action from there. I’ll have 2 computers as a part of this mod, one for playing games on (Integration Project Stage 1) (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2351)and one that runs Red Hat Linux, modded with a fallout theme and running as a mini-server. That’s Stage 2, and won’t get underway for a short while.

Down to business! The first stage of the integration is the desk. I need to have somewhere to put my PC’s. As the fallout case is a flat desktop thing, I decided to make a pull out drawer for it. As the worktop is pretty high, I also decided that there should be a lower part for the keyboard and mouse, with it’s own lighting that won’t disrupt the image on the monitor. I’ve already put up shelves and wired in a 5.1 surround sound system. The Modem and Wireless Router are already integrated, as is a small fridge which, for some reason, seems like a good idea. It makes a fair bit of noise so it’s not turned on at the moment. But when I’m having friends over to gaze at my workmanship, I’m sure we can crack open a couple of chilled cokes. These following pics are pretty self explanatory; but they show I went about putting the whole desk together. They also might give you a little clue as to just how crazy I really am…

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010769.jpg
My Desk before.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010876.JPG
The runner attached to the wall.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010877.JPG
The middle support.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010878.JPG
And the tray goes in...

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010879.JPG
Attach one keyboard desk and some lighting...

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010880.JPG
And viola!

To answer any questions in advance; yes, I will tidy those cables up, and yes, I know I’m a crap carpenter. Feel free to post questions and suggestions, I’ll try and answer every post.

Anyway folks, that's all for now; let me know what you think of the idea. I know I haven't really explained it fully here, but I think my plans will become apparent in due time.

-Dave

jdbnsn
04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the carpentry looks pretty good, and the lights are a nice touch. I've been wondering what all this integration talk was about, now I get it. I was actually heading in the same direction with my wooden media center as far as integrating as many functions as possible under one hood. But I hadn't thought of mixing several comps into the project, good idea.

DaveW
04-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I should really explain this properly. As i don't have access to that scanner at the moment, my amazing sketches will be skipped out at this point, in place of some photographs. I'll make this as short as possible.

I live on the top floor of my house, which consists of 3 rooms; my bedroom, my study, and my toilet. The toilet is between the two rooms. In one room, i have my desk, and all my computer stuff. In the other, i have my TV, my DVD's, and my Gamecube.

Anyway, Here's the plan for now. First, here's a photo off my desk that shows the whole thing.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010894.JPG

And here's my TV and stuff.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/P1010895.JPG

As you can see, i've allready started integrating mess into my room. I hope to clean all that crap up a little before this gets major underway.

Anyway, one of the first thing i want to do is get a second monitor, and then have the option of having the second monitor showing either the server or as a second monitor to the main case. The main case is going to sit to the right on the desk, so i'll have to move my pin board, and as i'll be hopefully getting another 17 inch monitor as well to fit in there, i haven't decided where to put iit. I want to control both computers with the same mouse and keyboard, so a simple KMV switch here will do the trick.

But, i also want to be able to pass an S-video signal down a wire, with an audio signal, to the TV in the other room. As for the TV, i'll be making a SCART box with a built in amplifier that's going to drive 2 huge Tannoy Speakers that are supposedly worth over a grand each. That should make all my movies sound sweet! But, i also want to be able to play my music on them; also, i want to be able to play music on both my 5.1 system in the study, and on the large speakers in my bedroom. So this involves a bit of manipulation, or, in the words of Jack Black, some "studio engineering". (That's his definition of studio engineering...cutting wires and pulling things!)

Anyway, in the end, i plan to be adding all sorts of things: i have a plan for a USB interface for the KMV switch that will let me 'roll the mouse' from the gaming computer onto the server, and vice-versa, but we'll have to see how that pans out.

This is almost impossible to explain without some doodles; so i'm going to give up just now and hope that you all have a vague idea of what's going on untill the gaming box is finished and i can get my scanner back.

Anywho, feedback and questions are welcome, even though i've explained this pretty poorly at the mo.

And yes, that is a fake hand lying on the floor.

-Dave

dgrmkrp
04-15-2006, 08:34 AM
"As the fallout case is a flat desktop thing, I decided to make a pull out drawer for it."

idea: why don't you make the mini-server in a drawer.. and have the front of the "drawer" a flip-down keyboard on the inside.. this way, u'll have access to the pc in a really scifi way. of course, the server you are building will be a feature, so u wouldn't really want to hide it in a drawer.. but, hey.. i thnk the idea is nice..

Everything looks nice.. both worklogs are great! And the idea too :)

legoman786
04-15-2006, 09:11 AM
OMG Dave is a cannibal!!! Just look at that hand, of which, every drop of blood has been sucked out!! LOL I'm kidding. What is with that hand anyway?

DaveW
04-16-2006, 08:41 AM
The hand was a gift from a friend. It's just fun to play jokes on people with.

Plus, it gives me something to prop up my Mr Flibble puppet.

-Dave

opengswede
04-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Looks nice. I'll follow this closely.
About KMV and USB, there is a project (can't come up with the name right now) (OSS) that runs a server to handle mouse and keyboard, then you can have numerous clients, ie PCs that can be controlled with the same mouse + keyboard. This way, all you need to do is setup the server + client and the configure the server to relocate the signals to the client whenever you slide the mouse over one of the edges of your server screen (kind of what you were talking about but software managed). I think you can control several other computers this way too (one for the left side, one for the right, top and bottom of the screen, for instance).

Another idea that i have been playing around with is bluetooth interface and proximity possibilities. This way, you take your handheld (I assume you got one :)) and when you get too far away from one bluetooth receiver the volume will increase (there are algorithms for this at the mythtv project, in C i think). Alternatively, when the proximity to one receiver is higher than to the one currently active (ie you changed rooms) the server will switch music from your bedroom to your livingroom or bath or whatever.

Neat, but doesn't work if there are more then one of you in your household. Can't be a big argument over who's handheld has priority...

just a few thoughts.
-.erik

xmastree
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
The hand was a gift from a friend. It's just fun to play jokes on people with.The possibilities are endless..

Dave, can you give me a hand?

Sure, here you go... :D

Maybe that's how you got it.

DaveW
04-18-2006, 07:19 AM
This way, you take your handheld (I assume you got one )

Actually, i havn't got a handheld. They aren't so popular in the UK to be honest, and they're very very expensive over here: about the same price as a decent laptop. In fact, i can only think of one person who has one. It's also a very nice idea, but unfortunately i can only mod the upstairs of the house, and if i modded downstairs my mother would go ballistic. Oh, to move out...

The possibilities are endless..
This is actually true. If i wanted i could write a book called "1 zillion sqillion things to do with a fake hand", but i wouldn't be able to pick a zillion squilion of the best.

-Dave

nil8
05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
If you wanted a handheld, you could buy an older axim x3 for like 70 bucks American.

The next person that's in your room that makes you mad, tell them that your hand has an anti-theft device. And when they ask how, throw it at them as hard as you can.

Have you considered a remote desktop program instead of a kvm?

DaveW
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Have you considered a remote desktop program instead of a kvm?

Yes, i have considered that, but my one of my end aims is to have a control panel that controls functions on the computer and things like the audio, the lights, etc. Although the case will still have control over it's own internal functions, everything external to the case will be on a single large control panel. Basic Functions include:

Switch Audio between the rooms.
Control Volume, etc.
Turn on and off the power to certain devices.
KMV switch.
Light switches for the lights at the desk.

I was considering putting the PIC burner in there as well but i'm going integrate that into the gaming computer now. I have no idea how well MPLAB works under linux, which is going to power Int. Part 2.

Sorry it's been such a long time between updates. When i've taken care of some 'special' stuff, then i'll be back...i promise. ;)

-Dave

OvRiDe
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
You may already have how your going to control everything worked out.. if you don't you might check out some of the X10 products. There are some pretty neat things you can do with the Firecracker module and software. Control everything from the PC, or a Web browser, PDA, Cell, etc..

DaveW
07-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Worklog Time!

Ok, so I bought 2x 19” flat panels and I have them hooked up in dual display mode. It’s yummy. But it’s really better than that: I also have the speakers in them configured to be the front speakers for my 5.1 surround system by doing a little but of tinkering. The speaker takes a mono input, but my monitors both take a stereo input. What am I to do apart from make my own cable from 3 others?

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030180.JPG
All the wires stripped.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030183.JPG
The basic wires: i love my camera.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030186.JPG
Combining the wires

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030188.JPG
The finished product...

Once this was done, the integration of my screens and my 5.1 surround system was complete. I’ve also been testing the way my Fallout Box (Stage 2) will fit in with the overall theme, which you can see in the following photos: one with a flash, one without.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030192.JPG

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030193.JPG

I’ve still got a long way to go, but I’m back at work and the money is coming in now, so expect to see some progress soon. Thanks for the support and ideas so far guys!

Oh, and don't point out the lack of wire management. I'm aware of the problem, believe me. I'm trying to think of something to wrap it all together. Probably not the same black PVC tape I use in my shoddy half assed wiring jobs... ;)

-Dave

Cool1Net6
07-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Slowly accruing ideas for the overhaul of my own workspace...

-Cool-

simon275
07-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Yes dual monitors are teh sex.

I just purchased another 19" benq monitor to complement my other. Its increased my productivity so much for gaming, emails, study, pron etc.

Alsowhen trying on your keyboard wouldn't you lift up your hands and burn yourself on the lights? They maybe futher back put its hard to get and Idea of the depth of the keyboard shelf.

Just wondering

DaveW
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Alsowhen trying on your keyboard wouldn't you lift up your hands and burn yourself on the lights?

Actually, i thought i would too, but it doesn't. I thought it would roast me alive, but it doesn't do that either. The only problem is that the light on the right hand side keeps falling out, or i knock it out when swithing between keyboard and mouse.

I've gotten used to them being there, so i don't damage them or get burned by them. My next stage is to get a KVM switch, and then clear up all my knobs and dials and crap. Also want to finish my Sketchup drawings to let me make a start at the Stage 2 Worklog (I've been collecting photos for a month now.)

-Dave

Cool1Net6
07-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Where did you get lights like that? The ones above your keyboard?

-Cool-

DaveW
07-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Oh man, you had to ask...(whispers) Ikea!

Don't tell anyone... ;)

-Dave

silverdemon
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
did you know that there's only one book printed more times than the bible?

it's the ikea-catalog, so I don't think you have to be ashamed to have bought it there ;)

meticoeus
08-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Just a suggestion. If you don't already have a plan for all of the visible wires (or just like them that way) you could angle something to cover them and the ones up the wall and it could probably look cool and be made to work with your theme, not to mention look a little neater.

DaveW
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I was thinking some sort of...like a thick, industrial, plastic tubing? like the stuff you see on the walls in Sci-fi movies. It would have to be pretty wide for me to get everythng up and down the tube. Or maybe some flat wire runners running up the wall?

Anyway, sorry i havn't updated this in a while. I have updates, but as my camera's at my friends house, i havn't been able to take a lot of pics. I've also been busy setting up competitions and stuff for the site-but maybe some time next week you can expect to see an update.

I want something to cover up the wires at any rate-although i'm not sure about the ones on the desktop and behind it.

-Dave

dgrmkrp
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually, i thought i would too, but it doesn't. I thought it would roast me alive, but it doesn't do that either. The only problem is that the light on the right hand side keeps falling out, or i knock it out when swithing between keyboard and mouse.

i had this idea from the moment i've seen the words "lamp" and heat.. but i was thinking that if it doesn't bother you... but still: why don't u wire some leds/ccfl to illuminate things there? ..more evenly :)?

and about the wires... from a perpetual modding point-of-view: u could use something removable, as not to have head-aches when changing stuff :) and make a feature out of it ("like the stuff you see on the walls in Sci-fi movies")

nice going with everything... i really like how this is looking:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/davew/Stage_3/P1030193.JPG

DaveW
08-11-2006, 08:02 PM
You wouldn't believe the state of the wiring situation right now. I've installed a KVM switch and i've actually drilled holes in that wall to get stuff through to other parts of the house...it looks like a cheap version of Snakes on a Plane back there.

What you just said sparked a wee idea! I'm suddenly put in mind of something like...this?

http://www.sledge.tuxgeeks.net/blog/images/matos/hiper-580.jpg

(That's the first and last time i'm stealing someone else's bandwith...have mercy, it's late!)

I have that PSU in Black, and as I want to sit Stage 1 on the desk...it might work out pretty well. First, i'll need to find out exactly how much wiring there's going to be.

Any ideas about how to pull this off are welcome. The cables are mostly CAT5 network cables, with a few power cables (which will be easy to cut and paste into whatever I want, because there's only 3 cables inside at most in the UK) and one coaxial cable which provides my internet connection. Still don't know about the ones at the back of the desk and...(shudder) underneath it.

All ideas are welcome, would be great to know where i'm going with these cables.

-Dave

Aero
08-11-2006, 08:41 PM
it looks like a cheap version of Snakes on a Plane back there.

I didn't know there was a not cheap version.

I'm afraid I'm not queit sure what your doing with the cables. Are you just trying to figure out how to hide them, or are you wiring your house or what?

DaveW
08-13-2006, 06:44 AM
There's too many cables to hide, so i'm trying to make the cables look cool somehow. I've got a huge bunch of cables running up the wall, a hellovalot of cables running under the desk, a snake's nest behind the computers, and a mop on the desktop. Not to mention the stuff going through the walls.

Yes, I am trying to wire the house, in a way that lets me master everything from my nice black (imitation) leather chair.

Got my camera back today, so i'll try and update tonight.

-Dave

dgrmkrp
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
ok.. house modding :) "house cable management.. use only the cables you need" ;)
still, if u wanna make (correct me if i'm wrong) a box with plugs to tidy everything.. u'll have like one of those old phone thingies with lots of plugs :) which actually doesn't sound so bad.. hmm...

DaveW
08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Hmm...not too bad an idea? How to go about making one of those puppies is the big question now... ;)

-Dave

Kumo
09-22-2006, 08:03 AM
A good handheld is a Sharp Zaurus SL-c1000 or 3XXX, and it's packaged with linux (well it's most likely a mini laptop). But it's expensive. You can get some of the cheaper 7XX or 8XX series.

http://www.figlabs.com/catalog/index.php

http://cgi.ebay.es/PDA-Sharp-Zaurus-SL-C1000-NUEVO-exclusivo-potente_W0QQitemZ260031193345QQihZ016QQcategoryZ96 920QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.openzaurus.org/wordpress/

Althought the cheapest way is to get one of second hand from Japan :) That's how i got mine. Japanese change devices quickly so their second hand is almost new.

VNCreal or thigtVNC should do the work without problems. Also Net OP or Dameware software could do the job. The problem with KVM is to get one (and its wires) that support well your screen resolution and refresh for gaming purpouses, for example.

About wires everywhere.... If you go for an industrial finish, yep Ikea again, they has some tubing sets for this matters. With everything to keep clean of wires your home.

DaveW
09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the Input Kumo. I've allready got the KMV switch installed, and as for the wires...i have no ideas where i'm going with that. I've leaving Stage 3 at the moment because i'm going to get working on Stage 2 now.

Thanks for the input on the PocketPC, but I have no idea what i'd use it for, so it's not likely to get used. I'm also poor at the moment, just like everyone else on the boards, because i've left my job due to my health.

Although i've just finished a mod last week, I'm not letting up easy. I'm allready trying to get some ideas together for The Fallout Box.

What can i say? Watch out for me starting the project 2 worklog sometime soon. It should be ace.

-Dave

ajmilton
09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
that psu is dead sexy. i want one now :P

Edit: i just looked it up on newegg. not only is it sexy, it retails for $99.99 (us). i want one even more now :P

Kumo
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the input on the PocketPC, but I have no idea what i'd use it for, so it's not likely to get used. I'm also poor at the moment, just like everyone else on the boards, because i've left my job due to my health.

Oh sorry. I hope you get well soon.

Poor modders... it's a topic. hahaha young, poor, modder.... hahaha Sometimes i think in how much a new case project cost and how much a new PC cost.... Maybe i could change my system even more if i left it with the beige case.... oh no beige puaj...!!

fragged
09-30-2006, 01:07 PM
You could get an el-cheepo with a MMC input and use a cheap wifi MMC card...

Then again I currently own a 300mhz, wifi/bluetooth PDA, and its growing dust, i hate the thing... its like a phone, without phone capabilities, but slower, and constantly running outa batteries (wifi eats it)...

Then agian the idea of controlling a computer, reading RSS feeds, seeing your download stats, and having a messenger would be cool

DaveW
11-21-2006, 09:46 AM
The Integration Project is Over.

I've been far too busy to work on the Integration Project anymore, and when i get time, i've got other things that I want/need to work on. I've become heavilly involved in helping to run this fine website, I'm in my 3rd Year at Uni now (and getting royally punished by the workload), I work part time, and spend 2 days a week driving my Girlfriend to college. As such, i don't have the time anymore to develop this any further.

The Integration Project is therefore complete. I had never imagined an 'endpoint' for this, it was going to just grow and grow, so i guess now is as good a time as any to say "I won't officially work on this anymore."

In terms of my overall aims, this was a complete failure. In terms of my original aims, it's a roaring sucess. I have a dual-monitor setup with 2 computers, a single keyboard and mouse, and everything else that i need all around one little desk.

I'll post finished pics sometime soon that will let you guys see where i actually got to, and how it all works.

But from now on, i'm concentrating on the mods. Therefore, i'm re-naming the Integration Project Stage 1: to "The TIP-3000" and i'm renaming this to "The Integration Project". Stage 2, when it starts, will be called something along the lines of "The VD Information System" (or vault dweller's information system), or maybe something else if Bethesda suggests a name for me.

The Integration Project has evolved into something else. Some of the base ideas still exist, and plan to follow through with them. I'll explain these as and when they happen. But for now, i'm calling it quits and saying this is, well, done.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who gave me support and ideas through this, and a special thanks to those of you so curious about this that you took the time to e-mail/PM me to find out what i was upto. You guys keep me alive and stop me from procrastinating!

Another update will follow, and then i'm calling it quits. I'll move this thread to the completed worklogs section.

-Dave

docturtle
12-28-2006, 08:04 PM
simple yet effective :)

Cooper
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Looks great Dave, my girlfriend quickly informed me that there was a toilet in one of the pics, Im not sure if she seen anything else, but she definately saw a toilet. Seriously, it looks good, and its amazing how an extra shelf or slight mod to a desk can make everything look better and be so functional.

DaveW
08-01-2007, 06:52 AM
I really need to finish updating the thread...lol.

You are correct, there is a toilet next to my PC.

-Dave