02-16-2011, 11:11 PM
dmoDLyiQYKw

Not by me, but still awesome.

Munty
02-17-2011, 05:58 AM
omg... How? :s

BuzzKillington
02-17-2011, 06:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing... HOW...does anyone still have floppy drives?

slaveofconvention
02-17-2011, 06:50 AM
I think there MIGHT be one PC in my house which still has a 3.5" floppy drive, but I admit the only thing it's ever used for is BIOS updates on machines which don't support USB or Windows BIOS flashing heh...

Uber cool tho

xr4man
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
up until i just got my last mobo that doesn't have a floppy connector, i was still running not only a 3.5 inch drive, but a 5.25 inch drive as well.

btw, you can't make a windows xp start up disk witha 5.25 inch floppy, but i was able to successfully do it for windows 98.

Munty
02-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I think I have about half a dozen floppy drives floating around this house. The lappy I'm doing now has one in too, so they aren't extinct just yet :p It is true though that they serve practically no useful purpose what with flash drives and USB boots etc... Still, I have a place for them in my heart as some of my favourite games were on floppies!

artoodeeto
02-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I remember playing Space Quest I on a floppy on my family's first computer, an Apple IIGS, back in 1987 or 1988. It didn't have a hard drive, so I had to play off the floppy. Keeping in mind that I was a kid, I saved my games onto the main game floppy...and unbeknownst to me it eventually started overwriting game files. Had to send the disk back to Sierra and have them replace it LOL....
I don't have the drives anymore, but I did hang on to a 5.25" floppy game disk from one of the Kings Quests, and a 3.5" floppy from one of the Space Quests. Still have the Kings Quest IV original box for the Apple IIGS floating around somewhere...

crenn
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
By moving the stepper motors in these drives at certain frequencies, you can get them to sing. I'd think these drives have been modified with direct access to the stepper motors. The floppies are probably there to amplify the sound to a degree.

x88x
02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Heheh, nice. He needs to get himself a couple 8" drives...really fill out that low end. :D