PDA

View Full Version : older mobo/proc setup ASAP!

SXRguyinMA
02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Need something older, P4 era or equivalent, with onboard video or a cheap video card to go with it. I need it for a work computer. We'd get a new one at walmart for $300, but it's got Win 7, which won't work with our current programs.

it will be replacing a P3 machine with an apparent MB issue, so MB, proc, RAM, cooler will be needed. Thanks!

OvRiDe
02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
These are pretty decent office computers for the price.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=DC7100SFF-P430-PB-3R&cpc=RESX

SXRguyinMA
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
not bad at all. I think I've got a lead on a free one from a local IT guy/friend of the shop, if it falls through we me go that route

Oneslowz28
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
If the one you get from the IT guy is a HP, send me the motherboard model number. I bought 3 HP P4 machines a few months back and 2 of them have popped caps in the last 2 months.

DynamoNED
02-18-2011, 11:13 PM
If all else fails, I have a Socket 423 P4 motherboard by MSI with a 1.4GHz P4 & cooler on it. I'd even throw in the 128MB RAM and the 32MB TNT2 Riva card still in that system. Make me an offer plus shipping & its yours. I haven't used it in a year or two, but I'd gladly test it before shipping it to you, and it ran like a champ until the old 40GB hard drive went out on it. Haven't taken the time to replace the hard drive, but it sounds like it should fit your needs.

SXRguyinMA
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
These are pretty decent office computers for the price.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=DC7100SFF-P430-PB-3R&cpc=RESX

The only issue with their stuff is it's 99% SATA drives. I need an IDE system so I can swap the HDD.

If all else fails, I have a Socket 423 P4 motherboard by MSI with a 1.4GHz P4 & cooler on it. I'd even throw in the 128MB RAM and the 32MB TNT2 Riva card still in that system. Make me an offer plus shipping & its yours. I haven't used it in a year or two, but I'd gladly test it before shipping it to you, and it ran like a champ until the old 40GB hard drive went out on it. Haven't taken the time to replace the hard drive, but it sounds like it should fit your needs.

I may take you up on this, let me just get ahold of our old IT guy and see what he has. thanks!

AmEv
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Well, I could ship you a pIII 550, with a MoBo with OCing capabilites.

Would that work for you?

SXRguyinMA
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
actually I got ahold of our old IT guy this morning. he works at a bank now who coincidentally just upgraded all their P4 machines to i3's, and is giving away the old machines because it costs more to dispose of them lol, so he's dropping something off tonight :D

+rep to everyone for their help!