PDA

View Full Version : FREE ARM dev kit!

SXRguyinMA
02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
A few minor stipulations, but free is free :D

http://hackaday.com/2011/02/19/free-as-in-free-beer-arm-kit/

Crimson13
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I was excited there for a second, but then read the last stipulation. I'm not killing my arduino for that.

SXRguyinMA
02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
yea me neither. and I don't have a company email to use

Oneslowz28
02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Yea that's kinda Retarded. The Arduino hate is getting too out of control. and 99% of the people hating on it are just doing so to look cool. I bet 70% of them could not even write a simple blink loop.

SXRguyinMA
02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
well it doesn't say "Smash your Arduino" just "Smash your current dev board", so the options are open.

Oneslowz28
02-19-2011, 11:16 PM
well I do have a protostack Dev Board..... nah I like AVR's too much. The Dark Side is too powerful for me to switch to the good side.

Crimson13
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Yea that's kinda Retarded. The Arduino hate is getting too out of control. and 99% of the people hating on it are just doing so to look cool. I bet 70% of them could not even write a simple blink loop.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

well it doesn't say "Smash your Arduino" just "Smash your current dev board", so the options are open.

Well my arduino is my ONLY dev board. :D I wonder if anyone has fried one of the new smd unos? Someone could get that and smash it and you wouldn't be killing a working board.

x88x
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Hmmm, so if I stuck a random IC on a protoboard and said that it was my custom-rolled devboard, would that be good enough? :whistler:

crenn
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm going on a limb here, but if your current dev board was a little board with a couple of other components on, couldn't you destory that and get the fancy dev board?

Konrad
03-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Being disinterested in Arduinos is not the same as hating them. Personally, I've just got too many other projects and platforms to finish learning before starting (and buying into) yet another one. I never seem to catch up because once I free up some mental slots they get quickly filled with new (to me) systems used for by some client or contract. So instead of shopping for new parts (like Arduinos) and learning and experimenting I usually stick with the parts I know and trust (and have in stock) as much as possible. Arduino is like that cute girl that's been catching your eye for years yet is never quite as hot and immediate as the women you actually end up dating. Chances are I'll get around to the Arduinos right around their EOL threshold, lol, but I certainly don't hate 'em. I don't know enough about 'em to hate.

From an economical standpoint, the $5 TI430MPS USB dev board is probably the most sacrificial ... but I fully agree with the hackaday pundits, this is a wasteful and insulting demand, especially since it also comes with a commandment that thou shalt be an engineering professional.

These Cortex-M0 parts aren't so great anyhow. Judging by specs and price the Arduino parts would probably be a better choice for most needs.