PDA

View Full Version : increased air flow/ reduced weight

The Great Destroyer
04-17-2006, 04:07 AM
ok, i did a search and couldn find anything. what i've done is cut out just about all the unneeded metal in one of my spare cases. basically everythings gone that doesnt hold up the mobo, and im going to start on the part where the drives screw in today. my question is, will cutting out all this stuff actually help in increased air flow, because it would make sense that the more air goes through, the cooler the pc will run, right? or is just good for shaving off weight?

guitar.child
04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
That is one way to start. The less walls the better the airflow. Just put a fan on the opposite side to suck the warm air out. Like the Jet Case.

The Modfather
04-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Keep in mind that this increased airflow is also increasing the dust and dirt levels in you case so unless you're using it in a clean room you'll be spending a whole lot of time keeping everything clean, which is really hard considering all the places dust can get into.

The Great Destroyer
04-19-2006, 03:42 AM
that doesnt really bother me. i have a tendency to open my computer up every once in a while anyway, so i'll just clean it out then.

xmastree
04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
What's the advantage in saving weight? I suspect that smaller, lighter panels would be more prone to vibration so you might end up with more noise.

Just a thought.

CanaBalistic
04-19-2006, 07:30 PM
There is no advantage of saving weight that i can think of besides mobility. For lan parties or if you move your computer around from room to room. I can see how wafer thin panels might vibrate. However if its connected to the top and bottom like a stock panel it should be firmly attached and wouldnt vibrate anymore than the rest of the case.

As for the airflow...
I actually get better temps when my case is closed up. I have 11 fans pushing air into my case and 2 pulling outward. I have them arranged so all inward air is pushed into a void infront of the cpu cooler which pushes it into another void infront of the rear exhaust fan.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/Cana-Balistic/SystemLayout.jpg

I think with the sides on there is higher air pressure pushing massive amounts of cool air through my huge heatsink.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Omega
04-20-2006, 03:46 AM
There is no advantage of saving weight that i can think of besides mobility. For lan parties or if you move your computer around from room to room. I can see how wafer thin panels might vibrate. However if its connected to the top and bottom like a stock panel it should be firmly attached and wouldnt vibrate anymore than the rest of the case.

As for the airflow...
I actually get better temps when my case is closed up. I have 11 fans pushing air into my case and 2 pulling outward. I have them arranged so all inward air is pushed into a void infront of the cpu cooler which pushes it into another void infront of the rear exhaust fan.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/Cana-Balistic/SystemLayout.jpg

I think with the sides on there is higher air pressure pushing massive amounts of cool air through my huge heatsink.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Well that doesn't look right.

Normally, GPU's would push hot air out of the case (in that general direction) as to keep ambient temps cooler.

That, and most CPU HSF's push air down over it, unless you have a real strong flow of air (which i do.)

CanaBalistic
04-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Well that doesn't look right.

Normally, GPU's would push hot air out of the case (in that general direction) as to keep ambient temps cooler.

That, and most CPU HSF's push air down over it, unless you have a real strong flow of air (which i do.)

The GPU is the red block. The blue block is a reversed slot blower which is why i bought it. i think cold air in gives better cooling than warm air out.

I do have strong airflow, 11 fans blowing in. which is maybe why my temps are so low