PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Colossus

DaveW
04-17-2006, 09:24 AM
If you have a PS2, then you simply have to try this game. It's been years since i played a truly original game, and this has put my faith back into the gaming industry; at least or a while.

Image a game where there are only 16 bad guys in the whole game. In a world that stretches out for miles around, but is completely devoid of life. A game where you and your horse are the only people. A game where you start off with all the weapons and items. At first, it's fascinating. You'll notice little things, like the way your character occasionally stumbles when running, the way your horse gets scared if you make him run near a cliff. When you call your horse, your character whispers if he's near, shouts if he's far, and whistles if he can't see him at all. Then, when you're playing it and fighting the colossi, you notice just how clever they are: their AI is brilliant. They learn from your techniques, and you can trick them as well. They can be confused and fooled. They're not all that difficult to fight, and there's only 8 hours of gameplay in the whole thing, unless you're god awful at these games.

But I havn't played anything like this in years. It's new, fresh, exciting, addictive; if i honestly went on about it, i'd ruin it for you, but if you havn't played it yet, try and get a copy. It's a short game with something special in it that a lot of developers could learn from.

And if i still haven't sold you, the first bad guy you meet is the size of a small block of flats. You have to climb all over him to kill he bugger.

Honestly, you have to play it to believe it.

-Dave

Rankenphile
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I've been looking for a copy of this game for a long time - they're tough to come by.

In similar terms, I finally found a copy of Katamari Damacy this weekend for $20. Another strange title for the PS2, Katamari Damaci is the most... Japanese game I think I've ever played. Strangely wonderful music is the first thing you notice about the game, aside from its unusual title. Once you hit start and reach the opening cinema, you realize this is a horse of a completely different color - you watch as the so-called King of All Cosmos prances along rainbows while singing giraffes, geese and elephants pop in and out of view.

The entire purpose of the game is to replace the stars in the sky, which the King of All Cosmos accidentally knocked from their place while... dancing? Doing something odd, at least. You are the miniscule Prince, and you are charged with rolling an oddly colored Katamari, or strange little ball, around on Earth. Things of similar size or smaller than your Katamari stick to the ball as you push it, continually growing larger and larger as you collect bits of sushi, stray shoes, pool cues, toy wagons, small children, pets, adults, automobiles and eventually entire skyscrapers.

I've never played anything quite like Katamari Damacy. Trying to explain it's oddness is an exercise in futility. It is a game about rolling things into balls the way Tetris is a game about stacking blocks - sure, that explains the basic mechanics, but something happens between the translation of the mechanics once it reaches the player itself and becomes more than the sum of its parts.

It is truly a unique game that leaves an interesting impression on you - it shows that despite the industry's best efforts, innovative games do not have to suck.

(Sorry if this derails from your topic, Dave, I just thought it might fit. Thanks for the review/recommendation, I'll keep looking for a copy of SotC)

DaveW
04-17-2006, 04:57 PM
That's the first i've heard of that game! Sounds pretty cool-i'll look it up.

-Dave

Omega
04-19-2006, 04:07 AM
The Katamari games are indeed very original.

Here's the premise:
The kind of all cosmos (pretty self explanitory) gets drunk and knocks the stars outta the sky, and you (the prince) have to roll a katamari (magically adhesive ball of stuff) to make stars. and it's amazingly fun.

Rankenphile
04-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I picked up God of War last night for $18, and holy crap is that an awesome game. It is one I wanted to try for a long time, but I'm not a big console gamer, I usually prefer playing games on my PC. I'm not going to write another long review of it, but if you've got a PS2 and $20, and enjoy a very good brawler-style game, you owe it to yourself to get God of War.