PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to computing

Ohtarnehtar
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
I dont have any intention of doing this mod, but as a tribute you could make a case from scratch entirely out of 5.5" floppies.... with bracing of course. Or turn a tower on its side, and paint it like a floppy, complete with sliding metal protector....

The Modfather
04-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Can you tell us where we would get 5.5" floppies? <Smirk>

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea, what about if you used a UV reactive clear case, attached the 5 1/4" floppies to that all over but leave about 1/4" of space between them and then put uV lights in the case, that might look interesting.

Cevinzol
04-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Oh man. i had hundreds of them laying around. When my cousin got married a few years back we cut the covers off of them and hung the little brown disks up like garland for his "media" wedding shower.

This also reminds me of a coworker who made a huge mobile out of all the AOL CDs he had. It was several duodecahedrons wired together. he had microwaved the CDs and mounted them shiny side out so they had these spider webs of cracks showing inside each disk. It made lots of pretty rainbows on the walls

The Modfather
04-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Hehehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's stuck a CD in a microwave to see what would happen. :) Some dude on a forum somewhere had a sig that said "I'm waiting until I have 10 solar masses of AOL CD's sent to me and I'm going to use them to take over the world. Just 2 solar masses to go!" :)

DaveW
04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Modfather, like the new sig!

-Dave

Ohtarnehtar
04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I found a couple on eBay, but probably not enough... just have to keep watching

The Modfather
04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks Dave (old sig actually)
Ohtarnehtar, a couple what on ebay? 5.25" floppies? You should be able to get those for nothing just by asking around, there are probably people who have closets full of them that they never got around to tossing out.

Ohtarnehtar
04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Well, alredy asked around my neighborhood, but nobody had any.

The Modfather
04-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Weird, they're pretty worthless these days so you should be able to come by them easy enough I'd think. Did you check EBay?

monoflap
04-22-2006, 04:46 PM
If your looking for old junk like that, the computer show is where its at. Hey that kinda rhymed. :D