PDA

View Full Version : Self made noise dampners (gaskets)

antheh
04-18-2006, 06:23 AM
I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but I was reading somewhere that those rubber gaskets people use for fans to stop the vibration noise were made of silicon or a similar substance.

I figured make some sore of mold for them and add silicon to the mold, let it set and you have your own rubber gaskets for the price of a tube of silicon.

I was just wondering if anyone else had thought of this and tried it. As where I am to buy the gaskets for the fans I have in my case would cost about $50 for them all.

Cevinzol
04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
The gaskets I bought were 2 for $6US I can't imagine you're going to have 17 fans in your case so they must be really high priced in Australia.

I don't think a tube of silcone caulking has the same properties a gasket but you can experiment you wouldn't need a mold, just spread some out 1/16" thick or less on some wax paper or saran-wrap. let it harden and cut out your shape with some scissors and a paper punch.

Another cheap alternative would be to use a bike inner tube. cut a gasket out of an old one. or look for rubber grommets at the hardware store (you'd have to drill out the screw holes a little).

antheh
04-18-2006, 08:15 AM
There is not many computer stores close to my house. I also have 2 pc's, one has 5 fans the other has about 8 or 9 (I know that's a lot but I hate having temp's over 30c). The only real place I can buy them is eBay, and then they are aroubd $7 each.

I have some silicone in a mold right now, i'm hoping it will be dry tomorrow so I can check it out, see if it's any good. If it is i'll post up all the steps I done and such.

p9l28a
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey could you show me the links to the products?

THANkS

CanaBalistic
04-18-2006, 07:13 PM
humm... i dont know where you live but in canada at any local canadian tire store you can buy gasket kits for cars. you get about 10 sheets of gasket material. in the pack i had i got some cork gaskets, poly gaskets, ect. only cost about $10 and if i'd used them for fans i'd have enough material for 15-20+ fans

Just a thought, any automotive store should have somthing simmilar

humm.. a cork wood mod... could be intresting...

antheh
04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I'll check at my local automotive store. Thanks.

antheh
04-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Took it out of the mold today and it held together and didn't break when i took it out and it seems to work fine with one of my case fans. :D

I'll post up all the steps that I done aswell as pics soon incase anyone else wants to make there own.

xmastree
04-20-2006, 05:48 AM
How about using neoprene? The stuff they make wetsuits out of? No need to mess around with moulds, and you'll not be able to break it. It's soft enough that you could tie it in knots if you wanted to.

DaveW
04-20-2006, 10:14 AM
xmastree, there was a cool thing in make magazine about that stuff. The guy mae a laptop bag out of it. I can say it looked cool as hell; would inspire me personally, but i can't get that stuff in Glasgow. You'd be more likely to find buttered chocolate in hell.

-Dave