PDA

View Full Version : Stealth it or Pimp it???

thedaarkangel
04-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Ok, im REALLY new at modding and I was driving down the road to go to my hotel when I saw some Indian guy dragging along this really old computer. I watched him to see if he was chucking it out and he did. So I turned round and grabbed it. I was going to put my existing hardware inside and was wondereing whether to leave it looking stock or pimp it out?

Edit: (More Pics)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0910.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0912.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0911.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0909.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0904.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0907.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0908.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0905.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/thedaarkangel/19-04-06_0906.jpg

Its a Commodore 8032-32B

DaveW
04-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Haha! You stole it? You crazy sonovabitch!

But seriously, those things are rare. Don't pimp that bitch: if you don't want it, you're almost certain to get a buyer somewhere for it. How bad is the damage?

-Dave

DaveW
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Additional: Reverse-pimp that puppy. Make it look older and ****tier than it currently does.

-Dave

Rankenphile
04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
No way. Fill it with super-pimp guts (dual 7900 on SLI, rediculously fast processor, 2GB of ram, etc etc) and restore it to look brand new. Retro mods are the best, and an old case like that "ridding spinnaz" would look goofy. It would be like lowering and putting $800 rims on your rusty 1988 Mazda 323.

thedaarkangel
04-18-2006, 01:13 PM
It wasnt exactly stealing... Oh and I dont want to make it look even more shyt.

The damage isnt that bad its not rust its black paint been spilled on it.

CanaBalistic
04-18-2006, 06:09 PM
you sure it aint **** on the front? cause thats what it looks like to me :)

what about replacing teh pic tube with an lcd screen? that would make lots of room on the inside and thoes old monitors spill out radiation... wait is that uni-chrome? i think you'd have to replace that monitor unless you like everything green :)

I would do a new stock look. clean it up. new monitor. new keyboard with "function" keys. is there room or does it allready have a 5 inch drive bay?

xmastree
04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow! Good luck with that one... Makes my 386 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2384) look modern!

The Modfather
04-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Nuke it... No seriously. It looks like a machine you might find in an old nuclear silo or something. Do a militaristic kind of mod on it. Using toggle switches and lit buttons where the keyboard is that have various control designations (Launch button and so forth). Lose the monitor that's in there and install an old oscylliscope or something, or just put in a cheap monitor and run a scope looking graphic to that from something. <Shrug>. Paint it flat black, get some warning stickers of some sort to put on it that fit the theme, put the PC in the guts and mount an LCD monitor that flips DOWN on the top of it so you can get it out of the way when you're showing it off. Use one of those keyboards that project to the desktop instead of an actual keyboard to keep it minimalist.

I'm wondering when the first LOST mod is going to be done. You know, someone get an old Apple and build the rig from the hatch. :)

thedaarkangel
04-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Nuke it... No seriously. It looks like a machine you might find in an old nuclear silo or something. Do a militaristic kind of mod on it. Using toggle switches and lit buttons where the keyboard is that have various control designations (Launch button and so forth). Lose the monitor that's in there and install an old oscylliscope or something, or just put in a cheap monitor and run a scope looking graphic to that from something. <Shrug>. Paint it flat black, get some warning stickers of some sort to put on it that fit the theme, put the PC in the guts and mount an LCD monitor that flips DOWN on the top of it so you can get it out of the way when you're showing it off. Use one of those keyboards that project to the desktop instead of an actual keyboard to keep it minimalist.

I'm wondering when the first LOST mod is going to be done. You know, someone get an old Apple and build the rig from the hatch. :)

I was wondering about doing something like that because I thought it looked like a military kind of machine aswell. And I was planning on changing the moniter and mayby the keys because they dont work, there always getting stuck.

I am sure its not rust because the case is plastic, and as we all know plastic dont rust!

I'm gonna post some more pics soon.

Thanks guys

The Modfather
04-19-2006, 03:38 AM
I'm familiar with that machine actually, we've got an old Commodore Pet 4032 around here somewhere, that's the 8032, it's big brother. It's pre Commodore 64 or Vic 20 hardware. I doubt it has any resale value as it is though so you shouldn't feel bad about chopping into it.

DaveW
04-19-2006, 07:00 AM
When i said make it look ****ier, i wasn't saying what i meant: i meant make it look like it was a brand new peice of 1950's technology, the first of it's kind, like it's a display model and you're trying to sell it to a big company or something. Make it shine, make it sparkle, but overall, make it look like it belongs in the past.

I really want to see this! Xmastree, you're going to have to work harder buddy! :D

-Dave

xmastree
04-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Aye, I think I'll look for a fossilised dinosaur turd for my next project...

Are there enough Retro modders to justify our own forum yet?

Know what would look good for that? A lot of LEDs under the edge of the cover, where it overhangs the black base. Hidden from view and pointing down so that they project a glow on the desk. A bit like underbody lighting on cars.

The Modfather
04-19-2006, 08:49 AM
That sounds like a good idea xmas, and if you go with the Nuked style, I'd say go with either green or orange LED's.

thedaarkangel
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I think im gonna do either, stealthily pimped, military, or look completely stock. Im just not sure which one.

Rankenphile
04-19-2006, 11:27 AM
With a case like that, you really ought to restore it back to it's original form and just fill it with bleeding-edge tech. Cases like that are rare anymore. It's an antique, part of the geek's cultural heritage.

My vote is stealth.

DaveW
04-19-2006, 12:21 PM
part of the geek's cultural heritage.

Sniff'...

I agree. Stealth her, for old time's sake. >sob<

Sorry, i..have something in my eye...

-Dave

The Modfather
04-20-2006, 04:36 AM
They're really not that hard to come by. Most of the ones that existed back then still exist somewhere today, collecting dust in someone's attic or basement. It's just plastic, make the best use of it you can.

xmastree
04-20-2006, 05:05 AM
It's just plastic.BURN THE HERETIC ! ;)

The Modfather
04-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Heretic? Moi? In my day we'd burn you for even suggesting that a Commodore product was worth anything other than to function as a doorstop. :)

DaveW
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
oooh...that was a good comeback. Man, i'm stuck now. Who to root for? This is a subject that could divide the forums...to Stealth or pimp? This is probably the 3rd thread on it this month...i think xmastree started the other 2...

-Dave

Rankenphile
04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Just plastic?

JUST plastic?

Who's gunna tell my copy of "Hunt the Wumpus" that the system it was carefully engineered for is "Just plastic"?

If you can look into it's single black, floppy eye and deliver that news than you, sir, are a stronger man than I.

jrabbitb
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
why pick one or the other, replace the monitor inside with an lcd and use the extra room to put in a pimp system, then have both set up in one box

guitar.child
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
stealth it. pimping is out now,. its just lame just stealth it that is always in.

DaveW
04-20-2006, 03:31 PM
why pick one or the other, replace the monitor inside with an lcd and use the extra room to put in a pimp system, then have both set up in one box

That's pretty much what stealth means. It looks like the original, but it's pimped inside.

I doubt that think still works anyway.

-Dave

The Modfather
04-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Wellllll, actually, if you stealth it but pimp the guts, that's called a sleeper rig. Same as in automotive terminology.

Stealthing it doesn't have to meak making it look STOCK however. But if you do make it look stock then that's definatly a sleeper mod.

You could stealth it and still mod it cosmetically to make it look more interesting but not use "bling". That is, no funky lighting, no fancy paint scheme but still incorporate artistic elements, change its apperance to make it look more modern or even more retro, whatever works.

Rankenphile: Let me see the eye, I'll stare it down and make it run home to mommy! I'm a scary dude! I'll just wave my rotary tool about meancingly and start mumbling about how "this is a nice place to put a fan". :)

xmastree
04-21-2006, 04:09 AM
Wellllll, actually, if you stealth it but pimp the guts, that's called a sleeper rig. Same as in automotive terminology.Yeah, although don't think pimp is the right word there. Sleeper certainly is. From the outside it loks stock, but under the hood is a supercharged metanol burning 7 litre V8... Although there are usually some external signs, such as wheels and tyres enough to cope with the power. I guess the computer equivalent would be extra fans.
My last project (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2219) would qualify as a sleeper, but it's hardly pimped.
Pimping is about bling bling, lights, transparent cases and stuff, making it look flashy rather than (or even instead of) just being fast.

xmastree
04-21-2006, 04:15 AM
One other option, which should be easy to do is simply use it as a housing for a monitor and keyboard connected to a proper computer tucked away out of sight. If there's room, maybe mount a USB DVD writer in one side.
Then it'll look pretty much standard but can be as powerful as you like depending on the box it's connected to.
It won't be very portable though.

The Modfather
04-21-2006, 05:42 AM
The problem with whatever you do with it is this, it's gonna look like an iMac's great-grandfather. :)

Seriously though, Pimping, Stealthing or Sleeper, all are valid options and you shouldn't let anyone's OPINION change yours about what you think will look the best because you're the one who is doing it and will have to be satisfied by the final result in the end. I've done all kinds of mods, some don't even fit those categories, I wouldn't know what to call them. The only kind of mod I've never done, mostly because they're just not my taste, is the kind where you put a computer into something that doesn't look anything at all like a computer. I kind of think of that as the Weinermobile approach to modding. Like taking a car and making it look like a hot dog. I know it appeals to some folks but it isn't my cup o' tea.

Rankenphile
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
No, Modfather is wrong. Let my opinion change yours. Stealth it and restore it, or I'll come to your house and beat you up.

:D

Slug Toy
04-21-2006, 03:13 PM
well, i was looking at this for the longest time, and i figure its time for me to weigh in.

i choose the lesser of two evils. i for one dont like mods that are all lit up so you have seizures while on the computer. id much rather see a mod that is purposeful and subtle. id have to go with the stealth idea.

granted, i dont like old hardware that much either, but as i said, i choose the lesser of two evils.

The Modfather
04-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Hahaha, don't listen to Ranken, he's no threat, I'll protect you, I'm 7' tall and I'll just bounce him around the house like a rag doll until he lets you make up your own mind. :)

DaveW
04-22-2006, 05:17 AM
He's just made you an offer you can't refuse.

(Yes!!! Beat all you guys to the quote!!!)

-Dave

The Modfather
04-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Did not, it's in my sig file! :P

Er, well, sort of. :)