PDA

View Full Version : SLI PSU w/o SLI?

Aero
04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey everyone. I need to get a new PSU for my HDD's. Currently I'm using the PSU that came with my case, some cheap 400W I think, to power 2 120 HDD's, a DVD drive, CD drive, Radeon 9800XT, 3 fans and am going to be getting a few more HDD's, trying to get to 1 TB. Also I need something to power queit a few LED's for my mod. PSU's arn't really my strong suit so I'm wondering how many Watt'sI should shoot for. Should I try a dual setup? Also Will an SLI PSU work with an AGP setup? any info would be appriciated.

Sliceman
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I dont see why a SLI PSU wouldnt work with a AGP. You dont need the two PCI-E connectors for the PC to boot. So you should be just fine. Since I dont know how much you want to spend. ill throw out a couple PSU brands you should look at: Antec,Enermax, PC Power and Cooling, and Silverstone seem to be really nice. Also OCZ has good psu's aswell

AKA_RA
04-18-2006, 08:46 PM
ive got an Antec SLI PSU. i think its somewhere around 500 watts. Its really nice. It works perfectly fine with my AGP motherboard. the best part is, its modular, so i dont have those extra pci-e cables hanging around inside the case

ack ack
04-25-2006, 02:31 PM
fortron or a seasonic brand since it sounds like your trying to create a personal storage server with heavy graphics.

archmaille
04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
check out PC Power and Cooling. If you just want a cheap one they've got the Silencer 470 which will easily handle what you want and you aren't paying for the extra SLI certification. If you're not hooking it up to a motherboard you'll need one of these (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2850&zenid=991d1797189458ca1f8e587ee9957ac7)

onelegout
04-26-2006, 07:35 AM
I have the antec SP-500 (smartpower 500w) and it is silent. It has two fans, and the outer one only turns on when it is needed, which is hardly ever! I cant hear mine unless my ear is up against it!
And it's modular, and sleeved, and cheap! I highly reccomend it!
H

CanaBalistic
04-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I bought a new PSU a while ago but had to return it due to the fact that my board has a -5v wire in the atx 20 pin connector and the PSU did not. Every PSU and PSU package has the voltage outputs listed on them. As long as the labels indicate the same voltage (not max watts) then the PSU will work.

Hope this helps