PDA

View Full Version : Custom Circuit for my Project: Unimatrix

slaveofconvention
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
OK I freely admit my electronics knowledge is close to zero and my soldering skills aren't far ahead of those skills so I'm wondering if there's anyone here who'd like to make a few bucks (or pounds lol) by building me something which I think is relatively simple but is probably beyond me.

On the front of the case I'm using for the Unimatrix mod, there are 6 LEDs - and I'd like those leds to light up depending on how hard (or for the purposes of this circuit how long) the hard disk has been active. There are several tutorials and how-to's on making a 10 LED activity meter online but they scare me a little lol....

Now to throw a spanner in the works because I had another idea. What I'd really like is if it could be done with bi-colour LEDS - specifically green and red. I'd like all 6 LEDS permanently lit in green, with the modified 10 LED meter circuit turning the LEDs red as required. I DON'T want LEDs soldered in as I want to mount the circuit somewhere out of the way and have cables running to the mobo HD Led connector and to the 6 leds on the case.

In summary I guess, I need the HD LED connector on the motherboard to be monitored and the circuit to output 6 green LEDs when there's no activity and up to 6 red leds when the hard disk has been working a while.

I am happy to pay for this to be done but please don't try to bankrupt me :P Any help will, of course, be credited and acknowledged in the logs etc

If the bi-colour thing is going to make this too complex and/or expensive, I'd be happy with just a progressive 6 green LED unit

SXRguyinMA
04-05-2011, 04:48 PM
This should be relatively easy actually. The bi-color won't affect it at all, as the green can be on full time, and it'll jsut use the red for the meter like it would with a single color. The green can be powered from the computer's 5v or 12v source rather easily. I'm sure I can whip something up for the uC to read the activity and make an output, kind of like an RPM meter or something. Give me a few days and I should be able to whip something up for you :D

AmEv
04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
The problem would be 2-lead bicolor LED.
But you don't want that ;)

slaveofconvention
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually I was thinking today about this and I had this thought - instead of using LEDS as the direct output, if a relay was connected there instead - ideally a SPDT relay if such a thing exists - that'd be a relatively easy way to send power to either the red or green connection of the LED, and keep the shared pole permanently connected - then it'd require an external power source for the LEDs but that shouldn't be a problem really....

SXRguyinMA
04-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I had actually thought of something along those lines, like possibly a transistor that sends an output to either the red or green side, to then all the microcontroller needs to do is send a signal out on one pin for each LED